What would a Liechtensteiner Alaska look like?

If the deal between the Liechtenstein royal family and Russia actually went through, in what ways would Alaska change relative to OTL? What would a Liechtensteiner owned Alaska's impact be on the broader world? I'm curious to see what you all think.

If the deal between the Liechtenstein royal family and Russia actually went through, in what ways would Alaska change relative to OTL? What would a Liechtensteiner owned Alaska's impact be on the broader world? I'm curious to see what you all think.
If Leichtestein does go through with the purchase, can they even get their?

Canadian the British take it for security reasons.

I mean seriously how are they gonna get there?
They probably emigrate there instead of ruling Lichtenstein. Though it would probably something of a buffer between British Canada and the Russian East.

Not without a legitimate region, plus I don't think the British wanted more Eastern territory that far. Their furthest Westernmost territories compared to the rest of Canada were quite difficult to govern.

I mean seriously how are they gonna get there?
Maybe from Swiss and Austrian investment to develop the colony. Or that's at least what I think, seeing Mr. Z's video on the matter.

Well, IIRC, the British didn't even want Alaska in the first place.

Also, the British would like some sort of buffer to avoid contact with Russian territory.

It would de facto be a Austrian colony until WWI at that point, it would shift to be a de facto Swiss colony until 1938, where Prince Franca Joseph II decides to leave Vienna for Alaska instead of Vaduz. From that point Liechtenstein Alaska is a independent country which own a small exclave in Alps. Alaska join NATO after the War and it have a booming economy following the war.

Alaska likely have a larger population thank to greater immigration in the late 19th century, bit it get fewer people in the decades after WWII, the result is likely slightly above the population today. The main language is German, but English is widely understood and there’s a significant Anglophone minority. Alaska have a Catholic majority with large Lutheran and Russian Orthodox (among the natives) minorities.

I did make quite some search on the topic but for some reason this story escaped me. Thanks for illuminating me on this anecdote.

On the subject of a sale to Liechtenstein, I doubt the reasons for the failure of OTL would magically disappear. Alaska was still a "frozen wilderness" at the time with not much value, and it was prohibitively expensive to hold onto and administer. Even though very rich, it's rather easy to understand why Liechtenstein ruling family wished to remain so. In my sense, it would take someone craving for oversea expansion and near desperate to pursue this goal. In a way, Seaward was, but if you want someone in Europe, I'd suggest Leopold II of Belgium, given the lengths at which he went to acquire a colony, getting and losing Congo in the process.

On the form though, assuming the deal unexpectedly goes through, then I doubt Liechtenstein would hold the territory as far as WWI, even if a de facto Austrian colony. I think it's more likely it would be taken over by Anglo-American settlers, filibustered like Hawaii was, prior to annexation by the US. Gold is only going to excite American appetites, and unlike Russia, Liechtenstein hasn't the shadow of a chance to hold onto the province, and Austria-Hungary has neither the proper claim to push against an American takeover nor the material means for a military adventure to reclaim the area, and no European continental power is likely to go to war over this issue, especially after Spain got utterly crushed in Cuba and in the Philippines. In the end, that wouldn't make Alaska much different in shape than what is today, other than stuffing history books about the state with a bit more curiosities and color.

Last edited: