What Mistress Boleyn Wants (Mistress Boleyn Gets)

Interesting character.

Think this sentance was cut off ". At 21, she was angling for a husband with an interesting life and the"

@Ogrebear, you are so picky! You want my sentences ended properly, you want the plot interesting, you probably want the story ended well and not abandoned . . .

Oh, wait, those are things I want, too. Nevermind.

Sorry about the last story posting. Thanks to @Ogrebear for pointing it out. I actually didn't mean to post it, but the phone rang and it was a friend with a crisis and I posted it instead of saving it - what I meant to do. Teach me to multitask on the pain meds. Hey, at least it was the pain meds for my shoulder and back and not the naughty, naughty Mr. Migraine! (Looking for the sunny side and ending up just glad it was something else in extreme pain sounds a little oxymoronic, doesn't it?)

Back to story (sort of):
1. What will happen to Mistress Angeline when caught (hey, with Anne Boleyn Percy after her, how's she gonna get away with it)?

2. What can they do about Marie (am I paraphrasing "Sound of Music")?

{And now I'm going back to November 1549 and what was supposed to happen on the 12th - obviously, I've now got to move it back a day or two.}

1549 - November (ii)
Naughty readers! You didn't answer the quiz!

13 - 18 November 1549

Anne was almost finished dressing for Vespers when the courier arrived with a heavy but smallish box for her. She finished dressing, let her lady leave, then sat to open it. There was a bag of coins within, packed in velvet to keep the coins from making too much noise to tempt the courier, there were two sealed letters. One was addresses to Anne herself and the other was for the King of England Henry IX and his Regency Council. Anne was not surprised to find her letter from Queen Mary of Scotland, who still seemed to view her as a semi-substitute for her late mother Katherine, She set the second letter aside and began reading the one to her. It began simply enough, with the Scottish Queen telling Sister Duchess that the Spanish were taking advantage of the French King's moves towards Calais to begin discussing the reunification of Navarre under Spanish protection. If the English held fast, King Henri II was sure to hear of this and would then have to decide where the troops were needed most. Both Mary and her husband James V were certain that Henri wanted Navarre as it was and would be withdrawing his troops from the Calais area. She gave updates on her children still 'at home' but was worried about her husband - the cold he had caught in September had remained and grown much worse. His breathing was now very labored. She asked Anne to pray for him.

The third page of the letter was dated three days later, on 9 November. The writing was hard to read: Mary's 18 year old son was now King James VI. His father died that afternoon of the illness he had borne two months. Mary requested masses for her husband's soul and for wisdom for the new King of Scotland. That explained the money, Anne realized. Mary also personally requested that Anne pray for her, since Anne knew what it was to lose a beloved husband. Anne refolded the letter and put it into her correspondence box, locking it as she always did (servants were not above sneaking a peak to see if they could make money of the information); then took the money and the second letter down the hall and knocked on the Suffolk's door. Charles answered at once, obliviously dressed for the service. Without waiting for an invitation, Anne entered. Vittoria was not quite finished dressing, her Italian maid of honor (the last remaining of those who accompanied her to England) assisting her.

"Leave us," she told the maid, "I will help her finish." Giovanna looked at her mistress the Duchess and Vittoria nodded and waved her away. Only after Charles shut the door behind her did Anne continue. "There is a new King of Scotland. His father died on the 9th, this letter is for the Council and the money is for requested masses for the late king. I would prefer you to take custody of both the letter and the funds, the Earl of Essex and the Archbishop would both be displeased if they knew they were sent to me."

Charles looked at the letter. "This is still sealed, how do you know - "

"Queen Mary sent me a private letter, with the news in it." Anne turned her attention to Vittoria and helped her put on two necklaces, one with a simple crucifix and the second with hers and Charles' initials set with sapphires.

"Of course I'll present these. If they ask, I'll simply remind them that I was once married to Queen Mary's aunt." Charles assured her. He frowned at the bag of money. "I'll have to find a place for this."

Vittoria smiled as Anne was helping her with her hood. "Empty your correspondence into my box and use your box to contain the money. I'm sure the Queen tells what amount was sent; you will take your box and the key to the meeting the Council will want to hold tonight."
Charles did so, and Vittoria locked her usually unlocked box ("My letters are in Italian; who can read Italian here?" was her response to Anne asking about it being unlocked.) Charles placed the money inside his, locked it and picked it up along with his Book of Hours.

"You think I'm going to leave it here?" He asked when both women looked at him quizzically. "Besides, the Archbishop will want it in his custody when I tell him about the letter and I'll be glad for it to be out of my hands. And Cromwell will want the letter. God forbid I know something before him." He and the women exchanged grins.

Vittoria stood and Anne looked at her critically. "We're ready for Vespers," she announced. The trio left the room.

On the afternoon of Thursday the 17th, Angeline was frustrated by the cleaning and replacement of rushes in most of the hallways she could take to make a discreet exit from the building. She was forced to take the hallway with the Northumberland and Suffolk suites. She passed Anne Percy's room, but was surprised when Charles Brandon opened his door and blocked her way. But, her Queen Marie informed her that both the Brandons and the woman Marie referred to as "la salope soeur" were to be out. Marie was wrong. Behind Angeline, Henry VIII's Sister Duchess had opened her door and the rustling of fabric meant she, too, was now in the hall. No retreat.

Angeline gave a brief curtsey to the Duke. "Your grace, I am in a hurry to leave. My suitor has but a couple of hours in which we can meet."

"He'll have to wait," said Anne from behind her. "Mistress Browne, if you would come into my chambers, we need to talk." There was nothing for Angeline to do but follow her in. The door closed firmly behind Angeline and the hated 'Sister Duchess' even locked it and pocketed the key.

The next meeting of the Regency Council was held on the 18th. It was a meeting without those abroad or the Dowager Queen or the French priest (her confessor) who attended as her proxy when she could not attend.

"First, we will hear from Archbishop Pole, who received a letter from His Holiness the Pope. Whatever it said pleases him, and I am curious as to what makes him happy." Cromwell informed them.

Pole stood. "The official documentation is to be brought by special messenger; but I am informed that I am to be England's Cardinal." He smiled broadly. There was a small burst of applause and Pole sat.

Cromwell stood again. "And now, for unpleasantness: Sister Duchess, will you tell us what your search of Mistress Angeline Browne, the favorite of Dowager Queen Marie, revealed." He sat as Anne rose.

"Unfortunately, we found these," she held up papers, then handed them to the nearest Council member, who began to peruse them as she spoke. "The Duchess of Suffolk and I oversaw the search of Mistress Browne. These papers were sewn into the bodice of the gown and it looked as if this might be how the information from this Council is being leaked. Mistress Browne would not speak, but I understand my lord the Earl of Essex has had her taken to the Tower on the King's behalf. The Duke of Suffolk and I both agreed with him and we informed the King of the actions this morning. The King is pleased that we have found how the French have been told secrets, but wishes to be informed when we take a decision on Mistress Browne."

Cromwell had the papers now. "These are treasonous, and have been written by the Dowager Queen. This could be difficult, we will have to discuss all our options carefully before making a decision. Mistress Browne will be tried for treason, but the former Queen, we will definitely need not only our wits, but the wisdom of God before acting."

Last edited:
Angeline is screwed - tower - headsman - chop one thinks. Or Exile, but that feels unlikely.

Good luck to the new King of Scotland.

Serious question needing answers: What can the young King and/or Regency Council do with Dowager Queen Marie, the author of the treasonous letters Angeline carried?

Angeline's in the Tower, I already know what's going to happen with her.

But what of Marie?

Serious question needing answers: What can the young King and/or Regency Council do with Dowager Queen Marie, the author of the treasonous letters Angeline carried?

Angeline's in the Tower, I already know what's going to happen with her.

But what of Marie?
Retirement to a convent of an enclosed order of nuns would be the answer in a Catholic country. So she can contemplate her life and prepare her soul for Eternity. (See Elizabeth Woodville when she started asking awkward questions of Henry VII.)

In a Protestant country? Hmm, what could be the nearest equivalent? Express a wish to resign the burden of office to study the Bible and hear the Word of God from a trusted preacher? One living on a remote island off Northumberland /s

Retirement to a convent of an enclosed order of nuns would be the answer in a Catholic country. So she can contemplate her life and prepare her soul for Eternity. (See Elizabeth Woodville when she started asking awkward questions of Henry VII.)

In a Protestant country? Hmm, what could be the nearest equivalent? Express a wish to resign the burden of office to study the Bible and hear the Word of God from a trusted preacher? One living on a remote island off Northumberland /s
Elizabeth Woodville being forced is debatable, there is some evidence she was planning to retire anyway, she still attended the birth of Henry VIII and was visited by her daughters so at least not cloistered. If Marie is "retired" it would probably be to a royal manor under "supervision" and forbidden visitors with permission, probably one away from the sea, just in case.

Elizabeth Woodville herself wanted to retreat, was it not?
In a Protestant country she could probably just "disappear"

Mmmmm. . . Queen Mary (Boleyn) retired to a convent after the annulment from H8. (Voluntarily, terms negotiated by her younger sister Anne, Dowager Duchess of Northumberland.)

Jane Seymour forced into a convent following her behavior at court by her own family led by Edward Seymour, for appearing (to them, at least) as the court hackney (anyone can ride!)

I thought of Marie in convent, but she does have a son who is Duc de Longueville and of legal age to wed. She's realized she isn't Queen in the sense she was while H8 was alive, which rankles. And on the Regency Council, Sister Duchess is more respected than she (it might have helped to not be so focused on wedding Henry 9 and his four younger siblings - all but H9 the children of the body of Marie) and Marie is one voice among the the 10 to 15 council members (depending on who is off on business) - all equal in voting.

Marie does not want to be in a convent - she was an honorable widow of a Duc when she wed Henry VIII - she wants the power she no longer wields. Is her going to France for the marriage of her son and just staying so the council (and her stepson) cannot put her into a convent too ASB? She'll only get half of the revenue from England (the other half held to keep up the estates, etc.) so she'll still be in the money.

I know my reluctance for a convent is because of Mary Boleyn and Jane Seymour; but would Marie want to go France and oversee her son's household (even after the lad dies, on behalf of the widow) - granted by the French King, who'd like her to remarry French again. (Could this happen; now that Marie's been 'free' of wifely obligations, might she prefer the maternal role for children she doesn't have to submit to a council for answers (maybe the King, but not a council)?

Last edited:
not h
Update so you know I'm still here:

Marie is going to France for Christmas at the invitation of her eldest son, Frances III, Duc de Longueville. It's kind of her admission of guilt in the Angeline Browne incident.

It could be interesting: OTL the lad lived 30 Oct 1535 - 22 Sep 1551, since Marie's so keen on getting son Prince Michael of England wed, might she remain for while to find a wife for the eldest. Frankie's regent his grandmother, Antoinette du Burdon, dowager Duchess of Longueville (and if that's how to write, apologies). OTL, (I don't know he died over) 1550 he began a downtown in health that resulted in his death and his cousin Leonor d'Orleans claiming the title.

edit: corrected birth date of Francis III, due de Longueville.

Last edited:
Apologies for having been so long on the road, so to speak. My brother's house burned down in June - the worst loss being his two rescue dogs. (He's already got two puppies to help fill the void, rescues directly from the vet - their owners couldn't be bother because the trio of brothers had parvo and worms. The vet refused to put them down and all three are now hale and hearty. Third one went to another family.)

Good news, USAA declared the house a total loss from foundation to roof and he's now getting ready to move into a 100-year-old house that requires some updating and was priced under market value for that reason. He's been staying with me and neither of us are roommate material, so we've been sleeping badly and his dogs are puppies and active! I'm too old for kiddoes. And that's what it's like.

Anyhow, I'll be getting back to this as soon as a re-read what I've written and can post a decent story.

desi

Since he's still got a place with me, Bubba is getting the house fixed (no doggy door there as here). People keep telling me how "nice" I am to let him stay. (Apart from the revulsion at being called 'nice', I can't understand it: what am supposed to do? Make him board his dogs and sleep on an air mattress in the new place? But, apparently, people are nasty to family - bio and chosen. Bro is a chosen brother, but no less my brother emotionally.) I can't fathom NOT doing what I'm doing. Vent over, back to the story.

1 - 5 December 1549st
1 December 1549

Angeline Browne was led to the scaffold with her head held high. Dressed in her day-to-day clothes, she looked neither to the right or to the left as things were thrown and "traitor" and "French whore" (her Englishness notwithstanding) shouted at her. She made no attempt to dodge the vegetables (and sometimes harder items) and kept her eyes forward as she was led up the scaffold. The headsman and the priest were ignored as she was prepped to die. And then she was allowed to speak.

"People of England, I am here because of the treachery of the Regency Council, which has refused the wise council of Queen Marie. She has sought to uphold -" nothing else was heard, as the crowd roared for her to receive justice. Angeline silenced the priest (he alone heard her "I nothing to repent!") and refused to pay or forgive the headsmen. When they realized what she was doing, the crowd threw coins, which the priest gathered and gave to the headsman. He counted out his fee and handed the rest back. The priest loudly absolved the headsman from sin as he "carried out the lawful orders against this traitorous wench, Angeline Browne". The crowd shouted its approval of his words and two of the men who walked her to the scaffold forced her down. She had refused to put up her hair and so when her head was parted from her body, some of it was cut as well. The crowd cheered, then began to disperse, some dipped kerchiefs in her blood and a few picked up locks of hair. Within an hour, the area was cleared and her body put into a box along with her head for burial. Queen Marie had arranged that much for her.

But Marie de Guise had not been seen (neither had her three French maids) since Angeline's arrest.

5 December 1549

The Duke of Suffolk opened the letter sent the Regency Council with the seal of the Duchess of Longueville - not the Queen of England (that seal had had to be taken away from her to prevent actions she'd taken immediately after Henry VIII's death, she had been trying to usurp the Regency Council). It was written in French; Sister Duchess took it from him and read it, then turned to the council.

She says she has returned to France because we refuse to accord her the respect and honor to which she is still entitled as the widow of King Henry VIII. She orders that her jointures be forwarded to her son Francis III, the Duc de Longueville's estate. She wishes an English bride of rank for him, as his guardian has failed to find him a suitable bride. She chastises us for executing Mistress Browne, whom she claims was carrying out the lawful orders of her Queen. Anne threw the letter on the table.

"I suppose we will have to discuss her jointures and the bride question. She is, after all, the widow of Henry VIII as she pointed out."

Archbishop Pole said: "At the next meeting, we will have to look at all matters. Part of her marriage contract with the King called for her jointures to be used to supplement the expenditures on any children they had together."

Angeline Browne faced her death well. Hope she is buried well.

Marie got to France? That’s not going to help relations.

Angeline Browne faced her death well. Hope she is buried well.

Marie got to France? That’s not going to help relations.
@Ogrebear,
You forgot the /s (for sarcasm) after your first sentence. Angeline did not face her death well by the standards of the day. She did okay with the approach to the scaffold, with the arrogance seen as bravery perhaps; but once she reached the scaffold, she failed miserably. She should have acknowledged that she was tried justly (she didn't have to say the sentence was just), she should NOT have tried to protest her conviction from the scaffold, she should have paid the executioner (the funds would have been provided if she'd had none), accepted the blessing of the priest, had her hair already up and had at least one woman from her station in life to 'assist her' (again, one would have been provided) and laid down for her execution. There were higher expectations for behavior back then (whether we like them or not) - Angeline was most definitely guilty, wasn't an 80-something year old countess convicted simply because of her bloodline (as happened OTL, to the delight of the crowd because they knew why she was really being executed); Angeline refused to do 90% of what was expected to "make a good death" with regard to an execution. Compare her to Anne Boleyn OTL. Angeline died like a common, traitorous strumpet, proving her guilt and cementing the case against Dowager Queen Marie for the Crown.

Marie being in France is great for the Regency Council. She can be tried, sentence passed (probably the convent), but the sentence will not be carried out until her return. King Henri II of France will wed her to a French nobleman in hopes of the French having a possible "in" to the English succession. She did give birth to: Prince Michael (b. 1544), Princess Antoinette (b. 1546), Princess Elizabeth (b. 1548 & called Babette), the posthumous daughter of Henry VIII, Princess Renee (b. 1549). If 'something' should befall Henry IX, Michael is the next king

Last edited: