Here's the way I look at it. It sounds like the Canal Zone situation is still ongoing and fluid. It's also massive. If that Army Group gets there on time, I doubt the Neuties would have had time to rig the whole canal with explosives. But they have to actually repel the enemy for it to stick. It isn't impossible, especially since it sounds like the Neutrals are trapped behind Yankee lines. But this is a huge thing that Steele needs to resolve quickly.
it amazing the army is actually able to respond that fast they must have left the second the Canal Zone attack reports came in even though
It also important consider that they are in a massive rush and will be attempting a rushed amphibious landing if the netruels have a brain they will have troops in the port to stop that and all the netruels have to do it just hold them of for a couple hours on the coast and then the explosive come in and outside the Canal Zone I doubt there are many troops to be able to attack from the north. So they really only have to worry about the 2 sides of the canal then and as @sampleswift said even if everything goes perfectly for the ru they still will have enough time to blow up portions of the Canal Zone and if everything doesn’t go perfectly for the ru then more of the canal get blow up. The netruels only really need a day- 12 hours maybe less to set the explosives and blow up the whole Canal Zone and that the whole. They should have more than enough time to blow huge portions of it

It's also possible that the Neutrality Pact never intended to win the canal zone fight... they were just going to destroy it or render it impassable. The fight was not to win but to delay the RU until the Canal is nonfunctional. (It's very possible for them to render the canal inoperable even if they do not have time to blow the entire thing up).

That's true, but 3 hours is an incredibly tight window to manage even that.

RU has to be careful not to destroy what it's fighting over... So it can't just "Exterminatus the crap out of the area". That could hamper them when trying to take back the canal zone...

The Downfall of Steele is coming...

Not really, past updates like in the Tinseltown ones reveal Steele will still be in charge as late as 1945 which is 9 years in the future as of this update. From what it's implied, Steele will probably die around the early to mid 1950s possibly from a stroke/aneurysm while watching his favorite movie. His subordinates are afraid to check up on him until his wife finds his piss stained corpse on the couch while the movie plays on in the background. Or maybe Oswald poisoned him.

Although to be fair, the disaster that will be the war in South America could provide some fuel for Oswald when he begins De-Steelization of America if he makes some Secret Speech analogue in TTL.

I mean the South Americans have managed to do some damage bu this doesn't really change the overall calculus, the RU can mobilise millions of soldiers and has far more industry than the Pact. They might pull off one hell of a guerrilla war but the Yankees will raze almost every South American city to the ground.

Considering how adept the RU foreign policy has been so far I also doubt that they will do something as foolish as enforcing direct control over the interior, more likely they will take the northern coast line, the Rio de la Plata and parts of the Pacific coast and then sue for peace with whoever is left.

I mean the South Americans have managed to do some damage bu this doesn't really change the overall calculus, the RU can mobilise millions of soldiers and has far more industry than the Pact. They might pull off one hell of a guerrilla war but the Yankees will raze almost every South American city to the ground.

Considering how adept the RU foreign policy has been so far I also doubt that they will do something as foolish as enforcing direct control over the interior, more likely they will take the northern coast line, the Rio de la Plata and parts of the Pacific coast and then sue for peace with whoever is left.

But.. But. BUT...

My M A N I F E S T D E S T I N Y?!?

Honesly, the more I think about it the more I'm with @Perfidious Albion on this. The NP has the industry and competence to pull off paratrooper invasions (requires big transport planes, i.e. airliners, and substantial coordination) and effective carrier-supported naval invasions (requires a lot of industry to make the carrier and an effective professional military to actually do the operation)--this implies a SUBSTANTIALLY greater degree of industrialization and economic power than OTL's northern South American countries at this point, probably because they avoided the political instability of the 19th century.

I honestly think that the RU stands a solid change of fighting this war to a draw, or maybe even LOSING something like Cuba. Not just because of the economic and military-industrial factors, but because that would make for a great story, too.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the RU ending up in civil war while at first still fighting South America, following the destruction of the canal. Partially because it would probably force the RU to withdrawal from the war and give the nations a chance to prepare for the next round but mostly to see the sheer violence and insanity that would ensue as the RU tears itself apart.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the RU ending up in civil war while at first still fighting South America, following the destruction of the canal. Partially because it would probably force the RU to withdrawal from the war and give the nations a chance to prepare for the next round but mostly to see the sheer violence and insanity that would ensue as the RU tears itself apart.
It's still far too early in the war for any proper unrest in the RU. The Cuba and Panama assaults were proactive actions by the NP to hamper the RU before they can fully mobilize and the RU population are still too eager for retribution to question Steele. Things need a few years of ceaseless bloody slaughter with little results to show for it before they start to wonder if the President is still the best Strong Man to lead them

Honesly, the more I think about it the more I'm with @Perfidious Albion on this. The NP has the industry and competence to pull off paratrooper invasions (requires big transport planes, i.e. airliners, and substantial coordination) and effective carrier-supported naval invasions (requires a lot of industry to make the carrier and an effective professional military to actually do the operation)--this implies a SUBSTANTIALLY greater degree of industrialization and economic power than OTL's northern South American countries at this point, probably because they avoided the political instability of the 19th century.

I honestly think that the RU stands a solid change of fighting this war to a draw, or maybe even LOSING something like Cuba. Not just because of the economic and military-industrial factors, but because that would make for a great story, too.
Fighting to a draw? Likely
Actually taking territory from the RU? Impossible. Even though the NP nations may be more industrialised and stronger then otl, they're battling the RU and its fascist allies, who are among the strongest and wealthiest nations right now. Not to mention the RU's insane fixation with war, glory, and strength. Any hint of sacrificing territory is heretical to them. The best cause scenario is the NP losing most if not all of Gran Columbia before internal pressures in the RU to sue for peace.

Fighting to a draw? Likely
Actually taking territory from the RU? Impossible. Even though the NP nations may be more industrialised and stronger then otl, they're battling the RU and its fascist allies, who are among the strongest and wealthiest nations right now. Not to mention the RU's insane fixation with war, glory, and strength. Any hint of sacrificing territory is heretical to them. The best cause scenario is the NP losing most if not all of Gran Columbia before internal pressures in the RU to sue for peace.
I honestly don't think that the RU will take anything from the NP. Both because the NP is so obviously stronger than its equivalents OTL or in 1.0, and because that would both provide more interesting story options and be a nice case of reality biting the RU and its inefficient, insane system in the behind.

If a civil war really breaks out in Britannia, the RU may simply decide to drop the war in South America and actually focus on preserving what they considered the birthplace of the Anglo-Saxon Race.
Not to mention if Illuminist Russia decides to attack the RU/Japan from the Pacific in the latter's moment of weakness.

I can imagine the Britain Civil War looking like this: Dregs vs. Churchill, with the Dregs unable to work well together and losing as a result. It's a big case of we ARE struggling together
I don't think Churcill will last very long.
By now he is the most hated man in England and after the discovery of order 78 many members of his own party have plenty of reasons to overthrow him