"What Madness Is This?" Redux: The Union Forever

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Napoleon53, Sep 13, 2018.

1. halfcoop Well-Known Member

There's a hundred thousand Frenchmen in New Antioch
    In New Antioch there are Frenchmen everywhere
    But your house could fall down
    Your baby could drown
    Wouldn't none of those Frenchmen care

Everybody gather 'round
    Loosen up your suspenders
    Hunker down on the ground
    I'm a cracker
    And you are too
    But don't I take good care of you

2. Threadmarks: CHAPTER 68

Napoleon53 Order of Monocled Sirs ಠ_ರೃ

Republican Union Space Force High Command
    CHAPTER 68
    THE RELIEF OF JERUSALEM

Tirailleurs_Senegalais.jpg
    Black African troops are inspected by cuirassiers in northern Egypt, 1914

As the dust began to settle in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Britain remained at war. In the Holy Land, the Knights of Jerusalem and what remained of the embattled Europan colonial army continued to fight on to the death. Chevalier Cyrille Coste, Grandmaster of the Knights of Jerusalem, was steadfast in his belief that God would provide for his men. Even in the darkest days of 1913, following the signing of the Tehran Pact between the revolutionary Islamic State of Egypt, Jabal Shammar (which had recently unified most of Arabia), Iraq, and Persia, Coste still told his men that defeat was not an option. Through their bravery, they Grand Realm of the Levant held out against all odds, retaking the Suez Canal in early January from Egyptian troops and once again securing the gateway to Imperial India. Despite the initial success and momentum against the Imperial colonial forces by the Muslim alliance, the truth was that the Tehran Pact was a delicate thing, with infighting breaking out almost immediately along ethnic and sectarian lines.

The Pact would finally crumble in February, 1914. Persian troops were shot by Iraqi forces after supposedly raping and pillaging their way across the country as they headed toward the frontlines of the Levant. Persia was furious about the incident and Ahmad Shah demanded the Iraqi Royal Government apologize for the deaths. When the Iraqi King Abdullah III received word of the Shah's demands, he had the entire Persian diplomatic team beheaded and declared a jihad on the Persians. Persian troops already in Iraq and on the frontlines were shocked when their Iraqi comrades began to mow them down from behind. Iraq and Persia were now at war.

[​IMG]
    Flag of the Kingdom of Iraq

Meanwhile, in Egypt, the flow of weapons and equipment from Persia was now cut off by Iraq. As Egyptian forces retreated from Suez and ran back to Cairo, many began to question Field Marshal Qadir, who had been absolute dictator of Egypt since his overthrow of the colonial government back in August of 1913. While before he had rallied the poor and zealous Muslims of Egypt to his cause, he was now being viewed as a madman by most thanks to his brutal and bloody public execution of any citizens who opposed his views. By the time the spring of 1914 arrived, Egypt was cut off and running low on everything it needed to sustain itself. Riots in the streets called for Qadir to step down and allow an elected parliament to draft a constitution, but Qadir responded by massacring his own people in the streets. Open civil war began, with the Qadirists facing off against both populist and Beutelist movements but also increasing inroads from Levant Imperial troops and some Egyptian citizens who welcomed the Imperials back with open arms.

When the Treaty of Bucharest was finally signed on May 1, 1914, bringing an end to most hostilities in mainland Europe and the various colonies in Africa, Europa could finally turn to rescuing the Knights of Jerusalem. African troops finally were able to focus on Egypt. Squeezing the Egyptian forces between the Levant and Libya, Napoleon was confident, and with good reason, that the Egyptian government's days were numbered. He would be proved correct when, in early June, Qadir fled Cairo with his loyalists and attempted to find passage into Arabia, ruled by the Kingdom of Jabal Shammar. Surprisingly, the Kingdom decided that the Tehran Pact was quickly becoming a disaster and arrested Qadir upon his arrival before turning him over to Europan authorities as a good-will gesture for peace. Jabal Shammar exited the war on June 20, the newly of-age King of Jabal Shammar, Saud bin Abdulaziz, announced his nation would be withdrawing from the Pact.

Saud_alrasheed.jpg
    King Saud bin Abdulaziz of Jabal Shammar

Flag_of_the_Emirate_of_Ha'il_(1835_-_1920).svg.png
    Flag of the Kingdom of Jabal Shammar

The Egyptian government completely dissolved and Europan troops finally marched into Cairo. Now resupplied, the Europan Army made quick work of what few enemy forces remained in the region and sent the Persians packing. Iraq was devastated by the Persian invasion, something which it would not soon forget, but Persia decided to finally pull out, leaving King Abdullah to fight another day. The Persian attempt at restoring a Muslim caliphate had failed utterly, humiliating the Persian government and Shah on a grand scale. It was over. On July 20, 1914, the Tehran Pact was officially declared dissolved and Persia asked for terms with Europa. Morale in Europa, despite the loss of the Rheinbund and the North and South American colonies, still rallied in the face of this great news. At the Damascus Conference, Persia was forced to give up Oman and Yemen, which became a unified Europan satellite state dubbed the "United Arab Emirates," further strengthening Europan control of the Red Sea and the Gateway to India.

jer-ger01s.jpg
    Europan troops reenter Cairo

Despite the overwhelming odds, Europa had held its own against the Tehran Pact, a shoddy alliance built on shaky ground that simply could stand up to the power of a recently rebounding Europa. Even rival powers such as Germania felt no love for the Pact, fearing a return of a caliphate and a united Middle East. Turkey, conspicuously neutral throughout the entire Great World War, had also rebuilt its military in the face of "Persian aggression" and a military junta ruled from Ankara, always fearful of a Persian attack. They were thankful when the Europans held the line and pushed them back. An interesting "what if" of the war was the oft-proposed idea that Turkey join the Allies, which could have seen an earlier fall of both the League and the Pact, but which was ultimately unnecessary for Europa to secure the final peace. It is very likely, however, that Turkish weapons and ammunition were smuggled into the Levant to help defeat the Pact.

All in all, the Middle Eastern Theatre of the war was not the largest or bloodiest, but was extremely influential in shaping the future of the Middle East. Not only had Egypt been retaken by Europa, Persia, formerly an ascendant power since the Russo-Persian War (1888 - 1890) had been gravely set back in its dreams of empire, losing not only prestige and men, but also its holdings on the Arabian Peninsula. And now, as the 1920s dawned, Jabbal Shammar increasingly would exert influence in war-torn Iraq. And even as the smell of gunpowder still hung in the air, the Kurdish tribes of Iraq began to call for independence. It was clear that, though the Great World War was over, more conflict was still on the horizon for the Middle East....

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  3. Christory Well-Known Member

So, is WW1 still hapenning anywhere?

halfcoop and RightWinger93 like this.
  4. John Spangler A man of wealth and taste

God bless Caesar and the Empire! Now we just have to take care of the British dogs, and then Europe will be at peace once again!

5. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

I can't wait how you'll twist the dream of a Free Kurdistan.

6. Time Enough Nightmare angel of the Tea Rooms

Nottingham (kind of, depends on the Season)
    I'm hoping for a weird Nationalist Eduist/Beutalists state myself that would be the Khmer Rouge to shame or even an out of place Fascist state.

7. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

For utter insanity from said Kurdistan, maybe they try to impose Yazidism on their masses.

8. The Congressman Populist Liberty Conservative

The Qajars have been humbled greatly. Perhaps this is an opening for Reza Palavhi to seek power... or Viktor to regain prestige by attacking Persia.

Methinks Turkey will be big in WWII

9. halfcoop Well-Known Member

The Union and Europa are still at war, but they have no real way to fight beyond naval engagement.

South America and Europa are still technically at war, and they need to sign a treaty so Europa official gives up on SA

England is still trying to exterminate Ireland but they are kinda alone at the moment

10. Napoleon53 Order of Monocled Sirs ಠ_ರೃ

So I had said before that much of the Kurdish people remained within the Turkish borders, so I'll have to retcon Kurds in Iraq tonight sometime, as there wouldn't be many Kurds in Iraq. Kurdistan will still be a thing though.

Also, for those confused/unaware, King Saud of Jabal Shammar is NOT a Saudi, but a Rashidi who happened to be named Saud Rashid. My concept for Jabal Shammar is that they defeated the Saudis and also have taken Hejaz and Mecca in a war to unite the tribes. It'll get its own chapter in the 1920s when the oil market booms. The reasoning is that the Saudis only beat the Rashidis OTL due to British backing. ITTL, the Rashidis received Persian and later Europan support, thus dominating the peninsula.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  11. Napoleon53 Order of Monocled Sirs ಠ_ರೃ

Also what does everyone think will happen in the Middle East in the future? I think there's a lot of interesting possibilities. It might be cool to see Jabal Shammar, a forgotten state OTL, go well into the 20th century as oil and nukes become mainstream.

12. The Congressman Populist Liberty Conservative

I'm envisioning a proxy war between the Turks and Jabal Shammar, with the latter supported by Europa and the former supported by CoCaro (used as a front by the RU, in order for Steele not to be seen helping Turkish inferior heretics)

Simeon likes this.
  13. SuperZtar64 Lord Protector of the New Commonwealth

Cathedral of Christ, Boston, New Commonwealth
    I'm imagining a bunch of pointless, inconsequential BS will happen, followed by the colonization of the entire middle east by the RU/NUSA as a permanent oil extraction plant after all nonessential life is dealt with.

At least, that's my plan anyway.

14. Time Enough Nightmare angel of the Tea Rooms

Nottingham (kind of, depends on the Season)
    The Turks and Jabal Shammar engage in proxy war as Iraq and Persia lick there wounds. I can see Jabal Shammar becoming a relatively liberal society (by WMIT standards) due to money from oil. Turkey adopts ideas similar to Ba'athism/Egypt under Nasser. Iraq becomes the older mediator between the whilst also backing the Kurds because it doesn't like the Turks. Persia reforms and undergoes some purges or falls under a Eduist Government (as a opposite to what happened in our universe). Radicals pop of both the religious and political variety to stir shit up. Europa splashes the cash whilst the Tsar shakes his fist and prepares invasion plans, the RU funds Jewish/Christian insurrection groups in the Middle East much to Europa's annoyance. The NordReich and the Dutch buy oil and sell arms but aren't staking too much in sides, focusing on Africa and Asia instead.

The idea of a reasonable stable Middle East compared to the rest of the world amuses me.

15. Murica1776 Building an American Tomorrow

Here's what I imagine for the future:
    • The RU/NUSA backs the Republican Union of Greater Israel, and does everything it can to push Israeli expansionism on its neighbors. Level of success will vary, but I picture an Israel that is a decent bit bigger than OTL 2019. Maybe they keep the Sinai Peninsula and some other areas. Cue genocide.
    • The Kingdom of Jabal Shammar becomes something of a regional hegemon, using its oil and nukes to secure a position as a legit power. Perhaps they have a close relationship with the Europans.
    • Iraq is an unstable hellhole, and is essentially being destroyed in a four way tug of war between Israel, Kurdistan, Persia, and Jabal Shammar
    • Persia is a pissed off, messianic empire that is gearing up for a rampage against Israel and Jabal Shammar in an even more frightening rivalry than OTL's
    • Kurdistan is a crazy Eduist or nationalist state with a desire to create Greater Kurdistan
    • Turkey is a relatively sane Islamist dictatorship backed by the Germans.
    Some other miscellaneous questions and thoughts:
    • How's China doing? I know Russia is occupying massive portions of it for the time being, but I don't know how sustainable that is. Any hints for the future?
    • If you want to get into really nutty conspiracy theory territory, try introducing Project Blue Beam into NUSA. IOTL, it's an alleged plot by NASA to fake the Second Coming so the NWO can subjugate humanity under a false faith. I can only imagine what TTL would make it look like.
    • Finally, I really hope TTL lasts long enough that we get a PRC-esque Social Credit system going somewhere. It's just too perfect.

16. King-Emperor Member

WMITMap.png

Here's a tentative map of the world post-Damascus Conference.

Egypt is now under Europan direct rule, and a new Europan puppet state, the UAE, controls both Oman and Yemen. I also gave it the territory of the OTL UAE, as previous maps
    showed that region as part of Persia. However, if that was incorrect, I would be happy to make the territory part of Shammar's Kingdom.

I also cleaned up the map with China, and changed the coloring of puppet states to be consistent. Now, the shading of a nation's puppets is the same as the shading of that nation's non-state territory.

17. halfcoop Well-Known Member

I honestly don’t know if it’s a mistake or it appeared in the story but Sakhalin is Chinese republic.

18. Whiteshore Defender of Myrcella Baratheon

At least Arabia isn't run by crazy theocrats ITTL (for now). Knowing the madness in this world, this will not last long, though.

19. raffaele gaggioli Well-Known Member

1) I think Persia and Russia will actually decide to bury the hatchet and become allies. Sure they may have been enemies in the past but right now both countries desperately need allies against France. The fact that alliances based on religion ultimately backfiired for both Victor and Reza will probably play an important role in the formation of an eventual alliance.
    I can see them supporting various rebel groups in India.
    2) I can see the RU arming and training jewish terrorist groups in Palestine, causing a new wave of antisemitism both in Europe and in the Middle East. Considering Stalin's antisemitism in OTL, i can easily see him sending the jewish citizens of the RU to fight in Palestine hoping to get rid of them.
    3) Egypt is probably going to be a mess: not only France has to deal with Qadir's followers, but the direct integration of Egypt as a colony will probably backfire horribly
    4) Iraq is screwed. The Persians will blame the iraqis more than the Shah for losing the war so i expect an Iraq-Iran war that is actually even worse than OTL.
    5) ITTL's version of Saddam Hussein will be a kurdish man with a patological hate against Turks and Iraqis.
    6) Reza Pahalavi will probably lose all of his political influence and authority with the Shah for the simple fact that the war was his idea. Ironically i can see Ahmad Qujar remaining in power while Reza is forced into exile.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  20. Omar20 Cuban Universalist

That would be particulary interesting for Viktor's Khan of Khans persona. Maybe by stressing the asiatic identity of Russia as the true succesor to the Mongol Empire, allying with Persia and presenting a united front against Europan Crusaders would be the Czar's new strategy.

Simeon, Napoleon53, halfcoop and 5 others like this.