It was the early morning of December 23, 1911, Patriot-Saints Day. No one in Quebec expected the Union to fight on their sacred national holiday, and their Christmas Eve as well.
Do you mean the 24th of December? That's when Patriot-Saints Day and Christmas Eve are. Also, there's a famous Catholic cathedral right by Dorchester Square, the main square in downtown Montreal, the square you mention at the end of the chapter.

Well, Quebec continues to collapse as the Europan Empire leaves its New World allies stranded. A horrible fate for them, as they will suffer hell from ORRA. I'm concerned about Patton, though, as he has just collapsed from some sort of disease. Could this be the beginning of a new virus that is like the Spanish Influenza for the troops?

Thanks for the typo point-outs, guys! I've been completely stressed by work lately and have been a little scatterbrained (corporate came down and reamed us all because corporate lol). I'm sure my 5 years of labor for the soulless megacorps Walmart and Walgreens has no effect on my story at all. XD

Are the Russians attacking Canada from the west?

I'd assume they are holding steady along that front. I don't think Canada or Rusalaska have enough manpower to keep up any sort of real assault while Europe burns. Paris is the ultimate objective, I'd imagine.

Ethnic cleansing, destruction of Catholic churches, massacres of POWs. You know, the usual.

Ding ding ding. lol

Thanks for the typo point-outs, guys! I've been completely stressed by work lately and have been a little scatterbrained (corporate came down and reamed us all because corporate lol).

I'd assume they are holding steady along that front. I don't think Canada or Rusalaska have enough manpower to keep up any sort of real assault while Europe burns. Paris is the ultimate objective, I'd imagine.

Ding ding ding. lol
I wouldn't be surprised if Viktor didn't have some kind of "American Army" stationed in Tagomagrad to "sweep upon the American Plains like Genghis Khan did to Asia in centuries past" but it turned out to be some backward mess. Perhaps Alexei Brusilov becomes the ITTL Paul von Lettow Vorbeck except with redwoods in the Pacific Northwest rather than African Rainforest.

I wouldn't be surprised if Viktor didn't have some kind of "American Army" stationed in Tagomagrad to "sweep upon the American Plains like Genghis Khan did to Asia in centuries past" but it turned out to be some backward mess. Perhaps Alexei Brusilov becomes the ITTL Paul von Lettow Vorbeck except with redwoods in the Pacific Northwest rather than African Rainforest.

I like this a lot. A lot a lot. A disastrous front like that could be super interesting.

Ties up a lot of Union troops and pisses off Custer to no end

Wouldn't such an invasion be immediately crippled by the fascists cutting off supplies at the Bering Strait? It's not like the RU would be taken by surprise with its insanely effective foreign service. Do you see the Russians trying to march an Army through this?:

muskeg-bog-with-ponds-mitkof-island-konrad-wothe.jpg

Hint: Everything in that photo has water under it.

Trying to get supplies over Muskeg is only slightly more realistic than the Russians marching an army over the north pole. Maybe I don't have faith in Viktor's military but I don't see the soldier fanatic’s of the Republic Union having much trouble with an enemy whose supply chain stretches 2/3s around the planet’s northern hemisphere.

Thanks for the typo point-outs, guys!

I have another question, what are the names of the RU's intelligence services? They have demonstrated themselves to be incredibly effective, in a manner that actually weirdly reminds of the old fascist obsession with internal subversion. I assume that this was deliberate?

Last edited:
Well Patton is out for the count at this moment in time...if it's a Flu and the the RU soldiers start dropping like flies then I can see the AFC having a wonderful time trying to deal with the aftermath.

I wonder what the NordReich is doing at the moment, probably digging in and preparing for an offensive of Europan Germany and the Netherlands I presume. Maybe trying to make a secret deal with the Russians so they don't immediately get attacked by the Tsar.

Also in other news What Madness has been nominated for another Turtledove "Best Quote", sure it isn't as flashy as the Pre 1900 one but it would still be nice anyway if a piece of @Napoleon53 dark writing got a mention.

Wouldn't such an invasion be immediately crippled by the fascists cutting off supplies at the Bering Strait? It's not like the RU would be taken by surprise with its insanely effective foreign service. Do you see the Russians trying to march an Army through this?:

muskeg-bog-with-ponds-mitkof-island-konrad-wothe.jpg

Hint: Everything in that photo has water under it.

Trying to get supplies over Muskeg is only slightly more realistic than the Russians marching an army over the north pole. Maybe I don't have faith in Viktor's military but I don't see the soldier fanatics of the Republic Union having much trouble with an enemy whose supply chain stretches 2/3s around the planets northern hemisphere.
Well, Viktor I isn't called the "Mad Czar" for nothing.