What is the most feasible way to get an American invasion and annexation of Canada in the 20th century?

Don't see how Canadians would do that in WW1 for example
Do what? Tell Britain to get bent? What’re they going to do about it?

It’s what Canada told Britain during the Chanak Crisis which was just a few years after WW1.

Hell, it’s what Canada told Britain at the start of WW1.

Britain: We’re going to break up the Canadian battalions and use them as casualty replacements in British battalions.

Canada: No, you’re not.

Britain:Oh ok. Well we’re going to attach Canadian brigades and divisions to British divisions and corps as we deem operationally necessary.

Canada: No, you’re not. Canadian divisions are to remain intact and as part of a unified national force at all times.

Last edited:
Another underlying factor is that American opinion was also quite pro-France since the formation of the Third Republic. If you keep the Bonaparte, then things would change a lot.
Ah yes. The often overlooked Francophilia. If I remember correctly more Americans volunteered for the French Foreign Legion than any other foreign military in World War I.

I'm thinking of David Graham Down To A Sunless Sea where the USA runs out of oil in the early 80s and then WW3 breaks out. I don't recall if the Canadian oil fields also ran out in that but I can see a desperate Congress authorizing the invasion of Canada in such circumstances.

Nah, that wasn’t quite the plot of the book I was talking
about. Thanks anyway Nick.