What if Stephen of Blois died?

So, I've been a long time lurker but this is my first real thread.

My question is: What if Stephen of Blois, instead of disembarking the White Ship before its departure, had remained on board?

According to Orderic Vitalis, the chronicler, Stephen disembarked because of a bout of diarrhea, what if he had not been affected until later or if he had not been ill at all? Would Matilda's accession have proceeded smoothly or would the English barons have been drawn to the cause of another claimant?

Seeing as though the POD is in 1120, you could have a number of interesting scenarios on your hands once Stephen dies.

Perhaps...

1) The death of Henry V is butterflied away (1125) he and Mathilda proceed to produce an heir to both the thrones of the Holy Roman Empire and England

2) Henry V impregnates Matilda before his death, however the proximity of the pregnancy to his death raises doubts about the Child's legitimacy. This child (Henry) is written out of the line of succession for the Holy Roman Empire. However upon Matilda's return to England, Henry is looked upon as the favored successor to his grandfather Henry I.

3) Matilda marries someone other than Geoffrey of Anjou. Making her reign more popular

4) Other claimants to the throne come forward. Perhaps Stephen's brother Theobald II Count of Champagne would make a try for the English throne.

Great, an Anglo-Champagnois (sic) union, instead of an Anglo-Norman one.

Nothing to do with the WI, but just imagine: England-Normandy-Anjou-Blois-Champagne(-Aquitaine-Brittany)! :eek: The King of France would be screaming his head off! :p

And if the King/Duke/Count of these places was a Blois, he'd actually have a proper*, Salic-law-friendly, claim to the French throne and all! :eek:

Hmmm.... :D

*The Blois were the ancestral line of the Capets