What if Roger never left - Pink Floyd Timeline

Introduction

It still makes for a fascinating read. 32 years later, and the story remains an inspiration to those who thought about packing it in, dissolving a partnership that had inspired so many for so many years. It taught us the meaning of “grin and bear it,” and that to soldier on may be worth it in the end. Of course, this story revolves around Pink Floyd, and the decision Roger Waters made in late 1983 to stay in Pink Floyd instead of becoming a solo artist.

After the sub par commercial success of The Final Cut, the band didn’'t know where to go next. Actually, it was more like Roger Waters didn'’t know where to go next. Waters knew one thing, and that was to leave the band and strike it out on his own. He figured that the story was out there about him being the driving force of the band, responsible for the bulk of The Wall and even Animals before that. The Final Cut was a solo record in all but name.

floyd_1370863399_crop_560x550.0.jpg

The album that nearly ended it all...

The band decided not to tour behind The Final Cut, despite having pre-planned some stage productions. Gilmour was ready to go back on the road, while drummer Nick Mason had been all but removed from the group. "“I hadn’'t been given my walking papers, per se,"” says Mason, “"but I remember being hurt when Roger replaced me on the final song" (Andy Newmark plays drums on “Two Suns in the Sunset”). "It was definitely a sense of limbo.”"

"Roger was a bit of a megalomaniac,"” David Gilmour recalls from his houseboat in Venice. He converted the houseboat into a recording studio in the mid-eighties, and the band has made every record on it since then. He credits the boat for soothing the often seething tensions between Waters and the rest of the group. “"The tide seemed to be turning, which Rog eventually incorporated on one of our later records".”

In 1983, Waters began working on The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking, something he presented to the band in demo form before The Wall sessions years earlier. It was actually between Pros and Cons and The Wall before the band decided on the latter. "“It was the right choice to make at the time",” Waters says. "“I felt I had fleshed out The Wall much more than Pros, and we were obviously able to work on that later on"

During further exploration into Pros and Cons, Waters became stuck. He knew he needed an ax-man, whether it was Gilmour or someone else, to fully flesh out the material. “"I spoke with Paul (McCartney) and told him what the band was going through. He reminded me of their recording of The White Album, when Eric (Clapton) was brought in to record “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”. I kept thinking about that for a while after, and right into my next conversation with Dave"

david-gilmour-live-aid-1985-david-plastik.jpg

Gilmour during Pros And Cons tour of 1984-85

Waters considered informing Gilmour that he was leaving the band, but stopped short. He says he was but “a sentence away” before bringing up what Gilmour now calls "the “Clapton Save”". "“He really saved the day. I joked that he only needed to appear on one song to save The Beatles, but he needed to appear on the whole bloody album to save our band!”" So it was agreed that Gilmour and Waters would continue to work together, and convinced Clapton to play the role of co-lead guitarist along with Gilmour for The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking. With Mason back to full-time duties (“and a decent pay upgrade”), the band continued on as a trio officially, with keyboardist Richard Wright still in exile from Pink Floyd.

Last edited:
THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCH HIKING

The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking is the thirteenth studio album by the English rock band, Pink Floyd. It was released on 30th April 1984 in the UK and US on the labels Harvest and Columbia. It is departure from their previous albums as it features guitarist David Gilmour writing and singing lead vocals on most of the songs as opposed to bassist Roger Waters. It is also the second Pink Floyd album that does not feature keyboardist Richard Wright.

The album proved to be a success. Though not in style with the “classic” Floyd sound, Gilmour's and Waters' storytelling complimented the outstanding guitar duels between Gilmour and Clapton from song-to-song. "“It was intimidating to a point",” Gilmour recalls. “"I had known Eric for years, but to be in a room with him while he was coming up with ideas for chords here and there was inspiring. I credit those sessions with the guitarist I am today".”

The tour that followed was in a much smaller scale than The Wall, with a more comfortable Waters performing without the need of a wall. “"Dave is, obviously, a much better singer than I am, so of course he took lead on most of the songs. His songs weren't too bad either! *laughs*". Waters says "It was different from The Wall. I wasn’'t looking to take control as much as I felt I needed to for so long previously. I suppose I didn'’t want to embarrass myself in front of Eric, but it worked!"” He credits the inclusion of Gilmour'’s penned songs” as essential to the story’'s narrative. “"To think I almost walked away from this group shortly before Pros still gives me the shakes".”

latest

PINK FLOYD - THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCH HIKING (1984)
Genre: Progressive rock, soft rock, hard rock, blues rock
Total: 59:50

Side A - 31:34
1. "4:30 am (Apparently They Were Travelling Abroad)" (Waters) - 3:12
2. "4:33 am (Until We Sleep)" (Gilmour) - 4:53
3. "4:38 am (Love On The Air)" (Gilmour, Townshend) - 4:19
4. "4:42 am (Blue Light)" (Gilmour) - 4:35
5. "4:47 am (Cruise)" (Gilmour) - 4:40
6. "4:51 am (Sexual Revolution)" (Waters) - 4:49
7. "4:56 am (You Know I'm Right)" (Gilmour) - 5:06

Side B - 28:16
8. "5:01 am (Murder)" (Gilmour) - 4:59
9. "5:06 am (All Lovers Are Deranged)" (Gilmour, Townshend) - 3:14
10. "5:09 am (The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking, Part 10)" (Waters) - 4:36
11. "5:14 am (Out Of The Blue)" (Gilmour) - 3:35
12. "5:18 am (Near The End)" (Gilmour) - 5:36
13. "5:23 am (Every Stranger's Eyes)" (Waters) - 4:48
14. "5:28 am (The Moment Of Clarity)" (Waters) - 1:28

Personnel:
Pink Floyd:

David Gilmour - vocals [2-5, 7-9, 11-12], co-lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass guitar, synthesizers
Roger Waters - vocals [1, 6, 10, 13-14], bass guitar, acoustic guitar, synthesizers
Nick Mason - drums, percussion

Additional musicians:
Eric Clapton - co-lead guitar, rhythm guitar, backing vocals
Bob Ezrin - Hammond organ, piano, synthesizers, backing vocals
Ian Kewley - Hammond organ, piano
Steve Winwood - Hammond organ on "Blue Light"; piano on "Love on the Air"
Michael Kamen - piano, orchestral arrangement
The Kick Horns - brass
David Sanborn - saxophone
Madeline Bell - backing vocals
Katie Kissoon - backing vocals
Doreen Chanter - backing vocals

The National Philharmonic Orchestra

Production:
David Gilmour - co-producer
Roger Waters - co-producer
Nick Mason - co-producer
Bob Ezrin - production; arrangements
Michael Kamen - production; arrangements
Gerald Scarfe - cover design

Last edited:
RADIO K.A.O.S.

Radio K.A.O.S is the fourteenth studio album by the English progressive rock band, Pink Floyd. It was released on 7th September 1987 in the UK and US on the labels EMI and Columbia. Like previous and future studio albums by the band, the album is a concept album that is based on a number of key factors of politics in the late 1980s, including monetarism and it's effect on citizens, popular culture of the time, and the events and consequences of the Cold War. It also makes criticisms of Margaret Thatcher's government, much like 1983's The Final Cut, however this time, the process of making the album was much more enjoyable for the band. After parting ways with Eric Clapton, the band recorded their next album on Gilmour’'s houseboat - Astoria.

"During the sessions for The Final Cut, I mean... by that time, we were all just to it, I suppose", Mason recalls. “"We knew we could go home at the end of the day to our families or girlfriends. We didn'’t need to sleep in the same room or bus like it was 1967 again. We could get on with it. But in 1987, it was entirely different." Gilmour says "It felt so great to be making great music AND having fun at the same time. I hadn't felt this good since The Dark Side Of The Moon came out".

Roger says "During the middle of the sessions, I was having so much fun and so were David and Nick. And that got me thinking about how I had been treating them the last couple of years. After I sincerely apologised to them, to my surprise, they actually forgave me and we hugged it out. But most of all, I felt sorry for Rick and wanted to apologise for being such a dick to him. I went by myself to a charity event I knew he would be at. I remember him looking good, as though he had gotten his life together". "We hadn'’t spoken in over half a decade",” Wright recalled in a January 2007 interview. "“Once I saw him walking towards me, I thought things would be severely awkward and unpleasant, but time had changed him, a lot! *laughs* Rog also mentioned something about Dave purchasing a boat". Roger says "So I walked up to him and I could tell he looked anxious, but I smiled, tried to be nice and we ended up talking for an hour. I apologised to him and asked him if he would be able to forgive me and rejoin the band. He thought about it for a minute and then with a smile said yes. I was overjoyed". Gilmour says "The next time we saw Roger he walked into the studio with Rick. Me and Nick couldn't believe it! Rog asked us if we didn't mind Rick contributing to the project and rejoining the group. Of course we said yes! *laughs*".

A founding member of the band, Wright had left in 1979, and there were certain legal obstacles to his return, but after a meeting in Hampstead, he was brought back into Pink Floyd. He was therefore employed as a paid musician, on a weekly wage of $11,000, but his contributions were minimal. Most of the keyboard parts had already been recorded, and so from February 1987, Wright played some background reinforcement on a Hammond organ, and a Rhodes piano, along with adding several vocal harmonies. Originally, the album had a bleak and dark ending, but inspired by the peaceful surroundings of Gilmour's new houseboat studio Astoria, Rick rejoining the group, Roger's change of heart, and the overall happiness in the band, Radio K.A.O.S was given a happier ending.

The album follows Billy, a mentally and physically disabled man from Wales, forced to live with his uncle David in Los Angeles after his brother Benny is sent to prison after protesting against the government, following his dismissal from his job in mining due to "market forces". After experiencing happiness in Los Angeles and learning about stories of war occurring throughout the world, he then hacks into a military satellite and tricks the world into believing nuclear missiles are about to accidentally detonate in every major city in the world, while deactivating the military's power to retaliate or prevent the situation from occurring. The album concludes with a song about how everyone, in thinking they were about to die, realises that the fear and competitiveness peddled by the mass media is much less important than their love for family and the larger community. The album explores Billy's mind, experiences and view on the world through an on-air conversation between him and Jim, a disc jockey at a local fictitious radio station named Radio K.A.O.S.
Radio K.A.O.S was a massive success for Pink Floyd, often being cited by the band as one of their favourite albums in their discography. Following a massively successful world tour, the band decided to relax for a bit. That is, until a certain wall was torn down...

radio-kaos-5594eda27da55.jpg

PINK FLOYD - RADIO K.A.O.S. (1987)
Genre: Progressive rock, soft rock, hard rock, pop rock
Total: 1:31:19

Side A - 24:27
1. "Radio Waves" (Waters) - 4:58
2. "The Dogs Of War" (Gilmour, Moore) - 4:53
3. "Who Needs Information" (Waters) - 5:55
4. "A New Machine (Part 1)" (Gilmour) - 1:46
5. "Terminal Frost" (Gilmour) - 6:17
6. "A New Machine (Part 2)" (Gilmour) - 0:38

Side B - 22:39
7. "Me Or Him" (Waters) - 5:23
8. "Yet Another Movie" (Gilmour, Leonard) - 6:28
9. "Round And Around" (Gilmour) - 1:02
10. "The Powers That Be" (Waters) - 4:36
11. "One Slip" (Gilmour, Manzanera) - 5:10

Side C - 21:20
12. "Sunset Strip" (Waters) - 4:45
13. "Learning To Fly" (Gilmour, Moore, Ezrin, Carin) - 4:53
14. "On The Turning Away" (Gilmour, Moore) - 5:42
15. "Home" (Waters) - 6:00

Side D - 22:53
16. "Sorrow" (Gilmour) - 8:46
17. "Four Minutes" (Waters) - 4:00
18. "Signs Of Life" (Gilmour, Ezrin) - 4:24
19. "The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid)" (Waters) - 5:43

Personnel:
Pink Floyd:

David Gilmour - vocals [2, 4, 6, 8, 10-11, 13-14, 16], guitars, keyboards, sequencers
Roger Waters - vocals [1, 3, 7, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19], bass guitar, keyboards, shakuhachi
Nick Mason - drums, percussion, sound effects

Additional musicians:
Richard Wright - piano, Kurzweil, Hammond organ, backing vocals
Jim Ladd - spoken vocals
Bob Ezrin - keyboards, percussion, sequencers
Jon Carin - keyboards
Mel Collins - saxophones
Tom Scott - saxophones
Scott Page - saxophones
Clare Torry - vocals on "Home" and "Four Minutes"
Madeline Bell - background vocals
Katie Kissoon - background vocals
Doreen Chanter - background vocals
Vicki Brown - background vocals
Noel Davis - choir master
Pontarddulais Male Voice Choir - chorus

Production:
Nick Mason - co-producer
Richard Wright - co-producer
Bob Ezrin - production; arrangements
Kate Hepburn - cover design

Last edited:
Wow! Oh yes, ANOTHER Pink Floyd timeline! Obviously watched!
Oh also...

Fun fact: I made this cover to a very old timeline I was working, haha. You can use obviously, since I don't like and/or else work on that timeline.

I know you made the cover! I'm a massive fan of your work. I am planning next to write about the Berlin Wall, Division Bell, Endless River, On An Island and Rattle That Lock.

THE DIVISION BELL

The Division Bell is the fifteenth studio album by the English progressive rock band, Pink Floyd. It was released on 28th March 1994 in the UK and US on the labels EMI and Columbia. Gilmour and his fiancée, Polly Samson, co-wrote many of the lyrics for the album with Waters and help from others, which deal with themes of communication along with political and social themes. It is also the first album since The Wall in 1979 to feature keyboardist Richard Wright as an official member, as well as the first album to feature him on lead vocals since The Dark Side Of The Moon in 1973.

In November 1989, the Berlin Wall fell, and on 21st July 1990, Pink Floyd staged one of the largest and most elaborate rock concerts in history along with numerous guest artists, The Wall - Live In Berlin, on the vacant terrain between Potsdamer Platz and the Brandenburg Gate. The show reported an official attendance of 200'000, though some estimates are as much as twice that, with approximately one billion television viewers. A month after the concert, the band released a live double album of the performance, which has been certified diamond by the RIAA, selling over 10'000'000 copies.

The album deals with themes of communication and the idea that talking can solve many problems. The title (suggested by Waters) refers to the division bell rung in the British parliament to announce a vote. Wright reflected: "The name - it does have some meaning. It's about people making choices, yeas or nays". Mason says "As the album began progressing, all of us in the studio realised we had so much material! Like hours and hours and hours of song ideas *laughs*". What the four members deemed to be the best of the material that remained unused from the sessions would eventually be released in 2014 as part of The Endless River. "Rick pointed out that all the song ideas we brought to the table and fleshed out together were all about communication and social issues. Roger ended up having a few more songs than me and Rick on The Division Bell, but we didn't mind this time around. Things were different, he wasn't forcing the songs upon us. Instead it was pretty much a mutual agreement that some of his songs fit the concept of the album better. But he wanted to make sure that we got our songs on the record as well." says Gilmour. Roger reflected: "Dave suggested that since we had a two albums worth of material, that we should save the best of the unrelated instrumental material for later. I then put forth the idea of linking our songs for the album in suites, which they responded quite enthusiastically to.
But overall, during the sessions and tour for The Division Bell - yes, that was one of the best moments of my entire career. I was happy about everything."

The Division Bell proved to be a success. And whilst their 1980's albums were successful, the album marked the first time since Wish You Were Here where the Floyd reclaimed the sound that had first made them famous. This was due in large part to Wright'’s keyboards and piano, creating that long-lost soundscape. Even though he participated in 1987's Radio K.A.O.S, his contributions to the group were on full display this time around. Today, the album is ranked by fans and critics alike as one of their best and most ambitious efforts, and the success of the album even led to the band winning the Grammy award for “Album Of The Year 1995.” Following a massively successful world tour, the band decided to relax for a bit. They announced a temporary hiatus to focus on their families and personal endeavours, but assured fans that they were not breaking up, just taking a small break.

1200x630bb.jpg

PINK FLOYD - THE DIVISION BELL (1994)
Genre: Progressive rock, art rock, ambient rock
Total: 2:25:38

Disc 1 - 1:03:58

1. "Suite 1" (Gilmour, Wright, Waters, Samson, Laird-Clowes) - 34:47
a. "Cluster One" (Gilmour, Wright) - 5:56
b. "The Ballad Of Bill Hubbard" (Waters) - 4:21
c. "What God Wants (Part 1)" (Waters) - 6:00
d. "What Do You Want From Me?" (Gilmour, Wright, Samson) - 4:21
e. "Perfect Sense (Part 1)" (Waters) - 4:15
f. "Perfect Sense (Part 2)" (Waters) - 2:51
g. "Poles Apart" (Gilmour, Samson, Laird-Clowes) - 7:03

2. "Suite 2" (Waters, Gilmour, Wright, Samson, Moore) - 29:11
a. "The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range" (Waters) - 4:45
b. "Keep Talking" (Gilmour, Wright, Samson) - 6:10
c. "Late Home Tonight (Part 1)" (Waters) - 4:01
d. "Lost For Words" (Gilmour, Samson) - 5:13

e. "Late Home Tonight (Part 2)" (Waters) - 2:13
f. "Wearing The Inside Out" (Wright, Moore) - 6:49

Disc 2 - 1:21:40
3. "Suite 3" (Gilmour, Samson, Laird-Clowes, Ezrin, Waters) - 21:58
a. "Take It Back" (Gilmour, Samson, Laird-Clowes, Ezrin) - 6:12
b. "Too Much Rope" (Waters) - 5:47
c. "What God Wants (Part 2)" (Waters) - 3:40
d. "Coming Back To Life" (Gilmour) - 6:19
4. "Suite 4" (Waters, Gilmour, Samson) - 21:24

a. "What God Wants (Part 3)" (Waters) - 4:09
b. "Watching TV" (Waters) - 6:06
c. "Three Wishes" (Waters) - 6:52
d. "A Great Day For Freedom" (Gilmour, Samson) - 4:17
5. "Suite 5" (Waters, Wright, Moore, Gilmour, Samson) - 38:18

a. "It's A Miracle" (Waters) - 8:30
b. "Amused To Death" (Waters) - 9:07
c. "Breakthrough" (Wright, Moore) - 6:38
d. "Marooned" (Gilmour, Wright) - 5:29
e. "High Hopes" (Gilmour, Samson) - 8:34

Personnel:
Pink Floyd:

David Gilmour - vocals [1.dge, 2.bdf, 3.ad, 4.d, 5.e], guitars, bass guitar, keyboards, programming, talk box
Roger Waters - vocals [1.bcef, 2.ace, 3.bc, 4.abc, 5.ab], bass guitar, keyboards, acoustic guitar
Richard Wright - vocals [2.f, 5.c], keyboards, piano, backing vocals

Additional musicians:
Jon Carin - programming, piano, keyboards
Gary Wallis - percussion
Tim Renwick - guitars
Dick Parry - saxophones
Bob Ezrin - keyboards, percussion
Sam Brown - backing vocals
Doreen Chanter - backing vocals
Durga McBroom - backing vocals
Katie Kissoon - backing vocals
Claudia Fontaine - backing vocals

Production:
Nick Mason - co-producer
Bob Ezrin - production
Michael Kamen - arrangements
Storm Thorgerson - cover design

Last edited:
Sorry for the wait guys! Will try to finish the timeline so I can maybe focus on other timelines. I will finish this one though. Again sorry for the wait.

ON AN ISLAND

On An Island is the sixteenth studio album by the English progressive rock band, Pink Floyd. It was released on 6th March 2006 (coinciding with guitarist David Gilmour's 60th birthday) in the UK and US on the labels EMI and Columbia. It was their first studio album in twelve years since 1994's The Division Bell, as well as the final Pink Floyd album to be released in keyboardist Richard Wright's lifetime.

In 1999, after a five-year hiatus from the music industry, the members of Pink Floyd announced they were getting back together to embark on their "In The Flesh 2000" tour, performing material from as far back as their debut album "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" (1967) to their most recent album "The Division Bell" (1994), whilst also including some brief material from their solo careers. The tour was a massive financial success in the US and though the group had initially booked mostly smaller venues, tickets sold so well and so quickly that almost every one of the concerts planned were now upgraded to larger ones. The tour eventually stretched across the world and would span three years from 1999 to 2002, ending with the release of a concert film on CD and DVD, titled "In The Flesh - Live". Following the end of the tour, Roger said: "We are currently coming up with some musical ideas, what we will do with that, I don't know. But you will know soon enough." David says "I don't see why we couldn't release a new album soon? *laughs* We just want to make sure that it is good though!" Much of the album was recorded in Gilmour's private studio aboard his houseboat Astoria.

On An Island was released to unanimously positive reviews, seen as a return from one of the greatest bands of all time and reaching the #1 spot in more than 10 countries. Following the release of the album, the band embarked on the incredibly successful "The Dark Side Of The Moon Live" Tour of 2006 to 2008. The final performance of the tour on 6th June 2008 would be an emotional one, considering that the band's keyboardist Richard Wright would pass away from lung cancer 101 days later on 15th September 2008, at the tender age of 65. Critics and fans would later note of the poignancy of how the final song "Where We Start", (originally sung on the demo by David), was sung as a bittersweet farewell to the world from Richard. However, before he passed away, he made a special request to his three friends. In an interview promoting the 2010-13 Pink Floyd tour "The Wall Live", Roger said "In one of our last conversations with him, he told us that he wanted Pink Floyd to continue after he died. He told us that he would always be there with us, on stage, in spirit.... *sighs*". Nick said "At first we were a little bit skeptical, wondering how we could go on without him, but his words gave us much comfort". David said "You know, the three of us worked together with him for... like, 40 odd years. So, yes it is sad that he is no longer here physically, but in a way, he is still here, spiritually. We're currently on tour performing "The Wall". Rick actually told me that it was one of his favourite albums to perform after he rejoined the group, and I agree with him. Wow, amazing how things can change overtime! Pink Floyd is still going strong, just like he would've wanted".

The band's next album, "The Endless River" released in 2014, was released as a tribute to Wright. When he passed away in late 2008, the trio played acoustic versions of “"Wish You Were Here"” and "Breakthrough" at his funeral. The three men would later recount of how the funeral wasn't a morbid affair, and instead a celebration of his life, and all were thankful (especially Roger) for having made amends those many years ago. “In the interview promoting "The Wall Live" tour, Roger said "I was always friends with Nick, but after we did Pros And Cons, I couldn't believe it but I was actually able to make and become friends with Dave and eventually Rick as well, and I'll forever be incredibly grateful for that. I don't know, maybe
I'm just glad Pink Floyd is still going strong, people are still interested in us, we're still releasing new music, still selling out shows and stadiums. Or, in fact, perhaps I'm just glad that I'm still in the Floyd! *laughs* It's crazy, you know, I nearly left about 25 years ago. Thank god I didn't",” Waters says.” "Yeah, but you do realise that me and Nick would have continued on without you, even if you had left in the early 80's?" Roger Waters leant back in his chair, smiled, and said, “"Are you kidding me? You'’d have never fucking done it" before all three of them burst out into laughter.”

p0TbqwY.png

PINK FLOYD - ON AN ISLAND (2006)
Genre: Progressive rock, art rock, ambient rock, baroque pop
Total: 1:12:13

1. "Castellorizon" (Gilmour, Wright) - 3:54
2. "On An Island" (Gilmour, Samson, Waters) - 6:47
3. "To Kill The Child" (Waters) - 3:31
4. "The Blue" (Gilmour, Waters) - 5:26
5. "Take A Breath" (Gilmour, Samson) - 5:44
6. "Red Sky At Night" (Gilmour) - 2:51
7. "This Heaven" (Gilmour, Samson, Waters) - 4:25
8. "Leaving Beirut" (Waters) - 12:30
9. "Then I Close My Eyes" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Mason) - 5:27
10. "Smile" (Gilmour, Samson) - 4:03
11. "A Pocketful Of Stones" (Wright, Gilmour, Samson) - 6:18
12. "Hello (I Love You)" (Waters, Shore) - 4:31
13. "Where We Start" (Gilmour, Wright) - 6:46

Personnel:
Pink Floyd:

David Gilmour - vocals [2, 5, 7, 10-11], guitars, keyboards, alto saxophone [6], cümbüş [9]
Roger Waters - vocals [3, 8, 12], bass guitar, keyboards, acoustic guitar
Richard Wright - vocals [4, 13], keyboards, piano, backing vocals

Additional musicians:
David Crosby - backing vocals [2]
Graham Nash - backing vocals [2]
P.P. Arnold - backing vocals [3, 8]
Durga McBroom - backing vocals [3, 8]
Katie Kissoon - backing vocals [3, 8]
Polly Samson - backing vocals [10]
Rado Klose - guitars [2, 4]
Jools Holland - piano [4]
Robert Wyatt - cornet, percussion, backing vocals [9]
Caroline Dale - cello [4-5, 7]

Production:
Nick Mason - co-producer
Phil Manzanera - production
Chris Thomas - production
Zbigniew Preisner - arrangements

Last edited:
THE ENDLESS RIVER

The Endless River is the seventeenth studio album by the English progressive rock band, Pink Floyd. It was released on 7th November 2014 in the UK and US on the labels EMI and Columbia. It was their first album to be released following the death of keyboardist Richard Wright in 2008 (who appears posthumously), as well as their final album to feature him as an official member.

According to Wright, during the sessions Pink Floyd recorded "four 90-minute DATs of five or six hours of music. The hardest thing was to throw things out and decide what we're gonna work on ... but they are not lost. They are in my head, they are in Dave's head, they are in Nick's head and they are in Roger's head." Mason said "Yeah, after many edits, we were able to edit these, sort of, jam sessions into an hour-long composition which we called The Big Spliff. It was quite experimental to be honest, but it was a definitely a sign of what this album would eventually become. I think this record is a good way of recognising a lot of what he does and how his playing was at the heart of the Pink Floyd sound. Listening back to the sessions, it really brought home to me what a special player he truly was". Even though the band ultimately decided not to release it, a small part of the composition was used on The Endless River.

In 2012, during their "The Wall Live" Tour, Waters, Gilmour and Mason decided to revisit some recordings made with Wright during sessions for The Division Bell and On An Island to create a new Pink Floyd album. Gilmour said "Over the last year we've added new parts, re-recorded others and generally harnessed studio technology to basically make a... I don't know, a fully instrumental Pink Floyd album. Unapologetically, this is for the generation that wants to put its headphones on, lie in a beanbag, or whatever, and get off on a piece of music for an extended period of time. You could say it’s not for the iTunes, downloading-individual-tracks generation". Roger said "We just feel that with Rick physically gone, and along with him the chance of ever doing it again, to us, you know, it just feels right that these revisited and reworked tracks should be made available as part of our repertoire." Pink Floyd decided to pay homage to Wright by placing the tracks in a format very similar to The Division Bell (1994). They asked several producers and engineers that they had worked with before to work on the material. Six weeks during breaks from "The Wall Live" Tour were spent assembling the material into four 14-minute pieces or suites. During this time, they also hired some female backing vocalists who had worked with the band both in the studio and on tour in the past 30 years. Roger said "Even though this will be the final full album to feature Rick with us, don't be surprised if you see him occasionally here and there on our next few albums. We will always find a way to keep him involved". As a final tribute to Wright, the album title is taken from the second last phrase from the final song the group ever performed live with him on "The Dark Side Of The Moon Live" Tour on 6th June 2008 - "High Hopes" - "The water flowing / The endless river / For ever and ever."

Upon release, The Endless River was given universally positive reviews, noting that despite there being lead vocals on only one track, this in fact gave the music more freedom, allowing it to speak for itself. Just as the albums before had done, the album had reached #1 in several countries, and won the band several Grammy awards. The album was described as stately, poignant and open-hearted. In Rolling Stone, David Fricke wrote: "Wright was the steady, binding majesty in the Floyd's explorations. This album is an unexpected, welcome epitaph." and The Observer wrote that the album is "an emotional affair but this is unmistakably Pink Floyd... and a pretty good way for Rick to call it a day."

ByJHx9JCIAEDh3M.jpg

PINK FLOYD - THE ENDLESS RIVER (2014)
Genre: Progressive rock, ambient rock, psychedelic, blues rock
Total: 52:55

1. "Side 1" (Gilmour, Wright) - 12:38

1. "Things Left Unsaid" (Gilmour, Wright) - 4:26
2. "It's What We Do" (Gilmour, Wright) - 6:17
3. "Ebb And Flow" (Gilmour, Wright) - 1:55

2. "Side 2" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Mason) - 11:48
4. "Sum" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Mason) - 4:48
5. "Skins" (Gilmour, Waters, Wright, Mason) - 2:37
6. "Unsung" (Waters, Wright) - 1:07
7. "Anisina" (Gilmour, Waters) - 3:16

3. "Side 3" (Wright, Waters, Gilmour) - 13:39
8. "The Lost Art Of Conversation" (Wright) - 1:42
9. "On Noodle Street" (Waters) - 1:42
10. "Night Light" (Gilmour, Wright) - 1:42
11. "Allons-y (1)" (Gilmour) - 1:57
12. "Autumn '68" (Wright) - 1:35
13. "Allons-y (2)" (Gilmour) - 1:32
14. "Talkin' Hawkin'" (Gilmour, Wright, Waters) - 3:29

4. "Side 4" (Gilmour, Waters, Samson) - 14:50
15. "Calling" (Gilmour, Waters) - 3:37
16. "Eyes To Pearls" (Waters) - 1:51
17. "Surfacing" (Waters) - 2:46
18. "Louder Than Words" (Gilmour, Waters, Samson) - 6:36

Personnel:
Pink Floyd:

David Gilmour - vocals [18], backing vocals, guitars, keyboards
Roger Waters - vocals [18], backing vocals, bass guitar, keyboards, acoustic guitar
Richard Wright - organ, piano, keyboards, synthesiser, voice samples [1, 18]
Nick Mason - drums, percussion, rototoms, gong

Additional musicians:
Jon Carin – synthesisers, percussion loops
Gilad Atzmon – tenor saxophone, clarinet [7]
Durga McBroom – backing vocals
Louise Marshal – backing vocals
Sarah Brown – backing vocals
Youth – additional programming, engineering, sound design, assorted synthesisers and keyboards
Eddie Bander – additional programming, engineering, sound design, assorted synthesisers and keyboards
Michael Rendall – additional programming, engineering, sound design, assorted synthesisers and keyboards
Escala:
Chantal Leverton – viola [18]
Victoria Lyon – violin [18]
Helen Nash – cello [18]
Honor Watson – violin [18]

Production:
Nick Mason - co-producer
Phil Manzanera - prodution
Youth - production
Andy Jackson - engineer, producer, mixing, mastering of bonus content on DVD and Blu-ray
Bob Ezrin - production (1993 sessions)
Damon Iddins - engineer
James Guthrie - mastering for CD
Joel Plante - mastering for CD
Doug Sax - mastering for the vinyl issue
Aubrey Powell - creative director
Stylorouge - sleeve design
Ahmed Emad Eldin - album cover concept

Last edited:
RATTLE THAT LOCK

Rattle That Lock is the eighteenth studio album by the English progressive rock band, Pink Floyd. It was released on 5th August 2017 (the 50th anniversary of the release of Pink Floyd's debut album The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn) in the UK and US on the labels EMI and Columbia. It is also the first album since Radio K.A.O.S in 1987 to be released as a trio. Even though Richard Wright had passed away in 2008, he is still featured on the album in the form of a voice sample and piano outtakes along with tributes from the surviving members of the band.

Nick says that "the album, Rattle That Lock, began life as a concept album, based on an idea from Rog. Dave had written some stuff he planned to release on a solo album, and I had just been racing in the meantime. But we all kept in touch after releasing The Endless River, and over some tea we decided to make another Floyd record." The album initially began in it's early stages as a radio play about a man and his granddaughter investigating why children are being killed in other parts of the world. Waters said that the play was "part magic carpet ride, part political rant, part anguish", and featured about a dozen songs. Dave says "Don't get me wrong. Me and Nick definitely liked parts of the piece, parts of the idea. But, we just felt it was a better idea to abandon the theatrical elements and create a far less linear work, you know. One that didn't tell a story, but instead had songs that all dealt with similar subjects, quite like Dark Side Of The Moon". Waters said "Don't worry, I'll still plan to produce the original idea in the future. Haven't done a solo album in a while *laughs*".

Waters said of the album's themes, "The concerns I have with that central question – "Why are we killing the children?" – are still there. I'm still deeply concerned that we're killing children all over the world with hardly a second thought, because we've become so insensitive to the idea of every time the curtain falls on some forgotten life, it is because we stood by silent and indifferent – it's normal. I'm quoting from the record now. And unfortunately, it has become normal; we have normalized the death of the innocent". However, Dave added "The record is also really about love – which is what my two solo records have been about, in fact. It's not pondering on just why we are killing the children. It's also the question of how do we take these moments of love – which we are granted in our lives – and allow that love to shine on the rest of existence, on others? How can we spread the happiness?" Finally, Nick said "Oh, and also just having fun. There are quite a number of songs on the album which I really get a kick out of playing. Not that I don't like playing some songs, it's just that there is some real funky stuff on this album *laughs*".

Rattle That Lock proved to be a success. The album just as it's predecessors had done reached #1 in multiple countries around the world. Even though the band had again been reduced to a trio like the early 1980's, the album and the tour that subsequently followed were both very successful, profitable and well-received. Inspired by the success, Pink Floyd would perform at the Amphitheatre of Pompeii on 29th September 2017 for an audience, the first public performance at the venue since 79 A.D. An album documenting the performance would be released in 2018 as Live At Pompeii.

dZ6WcvO.png

PINK FLOYD - RATTLE THAT LOCK (2017)
Genre: Progressive rock, ambient rock, jazz, post-rock
Total: 1:47:05

Disc 1 - 47:52
1. "5 A.M." (Gilmour) - 3:04
2. "Rattle That Lock" (Gilmour, Samson, Boumendil) - 6:25
3. "When We Were Young" (Waters) - 1:39
4. "Déjà Vu" (Waters) - 4:27
5. "Faces Of Stone" (Gilmour) - 5:32
6. "The Last Refugee" (Waters) - 4:13

7. "Picture That" (Waters) - 6:48
8. "A Boat Lies Waiting" (Gilmour, Waters) - 4:35
9. "Dancing Right In Front Of Me" (Gilmour) - 6:11
10. "Broken Bones" (Waters) - 4:58

Disc 2 - 59:13
11. "Is This The Life We Really Want?" (Waters) - 5:55
12. "Bird In A Gale" (Waters) - 5:31

13. "In Any Tongue" (Gilmour) - 6:47
14. "The Most Beautiful Girl" (Waters, Gilmour) - 6:09
15. "Beauty" (Gilmour, Waters, Mason) - 4:29
16. "Smell The Roses" (Waters) - 5:16
17. "The Girl In The Yellow Dress" (Gilmour, Samson) - 5:26
18. "Wait For Her" (Waters, Darwish) - 4:56
19. "Oceans Apart" (Waters) - 1:08
20. "Part Of Me Died" (Waters) - 3:12
21. "Today" (Gilmour, Samson) - 5:56
22. "And Then..." (Gilmour, Waters, Mason) - 4:28

Personnel:
Pink Floyd:

David Gilmour - vocals [4, 6, 8, 10, 13, 17, 19], backing vocals, guitars, bass guitar, keyboards, SNCF sample [2], bass harmonica [15]
Roger Waters - vocals [2-3, 5, 7, 9, 11-12, 14, 16, 18, 20-21], backing vocals, bass guitar, keyboards, acoustic guitar
Nick Mason - drums, percussion, rototoms, gong

Additional musicians:
Richard Wright - voice sample [8], piano [13], backing vocals [21]
The Liberty Choir - backing vocals [2]
Eira Owen - French horn [5]
David Crosby - backing vocals [8]
Graham Nash - backing vocals [8]
Jools Holland - piano [17]

Rado Klose - guitar [17]
Colin Stetson - saxophone [17]
Robert Wyatt - cornet [17]

Polly Samson - backing vocals [21]
Phil Manzanera - keyboards, acoustic guitar
Nigel Godrich - keyboards, sound collages
Jon Carin - synthesisers
Roger Eno - piano
Danny Cummings - percussion

Louise Marshall - backing vocals
Mica Paris - backing vocals
Jessica Wolfe - backing vocals
Holly Laessig - backing vocals

Production:
Nick Mason - co-producer
Phil Manzanera - prodution
Nigel Godrich - production
Zbigniew Preisner - arrangements
Aubrey Powell - creative cover director

Last edited:
Well it depends. If Roger just kept doing Final Cut- style solo written albums I foresee him perhaps making one or two more albums under the Floyd name (perhaps an incarnation of Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking) until eventually I have a feeling David and Nick would get fed up and make their own band (perhaps including Rick Wright). This band’s music might be reminiscent of David Gilmour and Rick Wright’s solo work. Now if Roger hadn’t gone on to dominate the band (starting with Animals) we may have seen some albums more reminiscent of DSOTM and WYWH. All and all this incarnation of Pink Floyd might go in the same instrumental direction as AMLOR and the Division Bell while still using Roger’s more conceptual lyrics. I think all four members probably would’ve done less solo work or none at all had that happened.

Well it depends. If Roger just kept doing Final Cut- style solo written albums I foresee him perhaps making one or two more albums under the Floyd name (perhaps an incarnation of Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking) until eventually I have a feeling David and Nick would get fed up and make their own band (perhaps including Rick Wright). This band’s music might be reminiscent of David Gilmour and Rick Wright’s solo work. Now if Roger hadn’t gone on to dominate the band (starting with Animals) we may have seen some albums more reminiscent of DSOTM and WYWH. All and all this incarnation of Pink Floyd might go in the same instrumental direction as AMLOR and the Division Bell while still using Roger’s more conceptual lyrics. I think all four members probably would’ve done less solo work or none at all had that happened.
Nice filler for what looked like the end of this TL. For those who missed it in the Projection thread, Dan has moved onto other work: http://althistory.wikia.com/wiki/Jet-Propelled_Photographs_(JPSM)