What if, no Dungeons and Dragons?

Nah, LoR drove D&D, not the other way around. Tolkien was all over the place in the late '60-'70s.
Yes, and the movie series came out in the early 00's, driven in a very large way by the success of DnD. Without it, it's unlikely to be tried. Certainly there could be an animated series, but nothing like the huge blockbuster we saw IOTL.

Wasn't there an attempt at a movie in the 1970s that stopped halfway through the Two Towers? Then there was the animated Hobbit and Return of the King.

...but instead of Tolkien High Fantasy it's Howard Low Fantasy.
Sort of objection! (It's an issue that has been discussed before and extensively. By others.)
Dungeons and Dragons is at the heart of it more Howard Low Fantasy thanTolkien High Fantasy, and quite possibly more
Anderson whatever-level-fantasy-he-wrote Fantasy than either.
Looking at Appendix N there appears to be far more Low Fantasy and non-Tolkienesque High Fantasy than Tolkienesque.
LINK

Gary Gygax said:
The most immediate influences upon AD&D were probably de Camp & Pratt, R. E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H. P. Lovecraft, and A. Merritt; but all of the above authors, as well as many not listed, certainly helped to shape the form of the game. For this reason, and for the hours of reading enjoyment, I heartily recommend the works of these fine authors to you.

marathag

Banned
Bored of the Rings is best book ever.
"Aye," said Legolam, "the river is under a spell, for it is named after the fair elf-maid Nesselrode who had the hots for Menthol, God of After-Dinner Drinks. But the evil Oxydol, Goddess of Quick Tricks and Small Slams, appeared to her in the shape of a five-iron and told her that Menthol was two-timing with the Princess Phisohex, daughter of King Sano. At this Nesselrode became wroth and swore a great oath to kick Phisohex in the gut and get her mother, Cinerama, Goddess of Short-Term Loans, to turn Menthol into an erector set. But Menthol got wind of the plot and came to Nesselrode in the guise of a refrigerator, turned her into a river, and went west to sell encyclopedias. Even now, in the spring, the river softly cries, 'Menthol, Menthol, you are one wazoo. One day I'm the elf next door and then poof I'm a river. You stink.' And the wind answers, 'Phooey.'"
"A sad story," said Frito. "Is it true?"
"No," said Legolam.

and
Then just over their heads they saw a passing flash of color. There in the sky they saw a giant eagle, full-feathered and painted shocking pink. On its side were the words DEUS EX MACHINA AIRLINES in metallic gold.

"Aye," said Legolam, "the river is under a spell, for it is named after the fair elf-maid Nesselrode who had the hots for Menthol, God of After-Dinner Drinks. But the evil Oxydol, Goddess of Quick Tricks and Small Slams, appeared to her in the shape of a five-iron and told her that Menthol was two-timing with the Princess Phisohex, daughter of King Sano. At this Nesselrode became wroth and swore a great oath to kick Phisohex in the gut and get her mother, Cinerama, Goddess of Short-Term Loans, to turn Menthol into an erector set. But Menthol got wind of the plot and came to Nesselrode in the guise of a refrigerator, turned her into a river, and went west to sell encyclopedias. Even now, in the spring, the river softly cries, 'Menthol, Menthol, you are one wazoo. One day I'm the elf next door and then poof I'm a river. You stink.' And the wind answers, 'Phooey.'"
"A sad story," said Frito. "Is it true?"
"No," said Legolam.

and
Then just over their heads they saw a passing flash of color. There in the sky they saw a giant eagle, full-feathered and painted shocking pink. On its side were the words DEUS EX MACHINA AIRLINES in metallic gold.

Frito looked at his uncle in shocked admiration. He had dropped his pants....

marathag

Banned
As the day of the party drew nearer, carts drawn by sturdy plow-goats rolled through the bullrush gates of Boggietown, laden with boxes and crates, each bearing the X-rune of Goodgulf the Wizard and various elvish brand names.

The crates were unloaded and opened at Dildo's door, and the mewling boggies wagged their vestigial tails with wonder at the marvelous contents.

There were clusters of tubes mounted on tripods to shoot rather outsized roman candles; fat, finned skyrockets, with odd little buttons at the front end, weighing hundreds of pounds; a revolving cylinder of tubes with a crank to turn them; and large "cherry bombs" that looked to the children more like little green pineapples with a ring inserted at the top. Each crate was labeled with an olive-drab elf-rune signifying that these toys had been made in the elf-shops of a fairy whose name was something very much like "Amy Surplus."

Dildo watched the unpacking with a broad grin and sent the young ones scampering with a vicious swipe of a well-honed toenail. "G'wan, beat it, scram!" he called merrily after them as they disappeared. He then laughed and turned back to his boggie-hole, to talk to his guest within.

"This'll be one fireworks display they won't forget," cackled the ageing boggie to Goodgulf, who was puffing his cigar rather uncomfortably in a chair of tasteless elvish-modern. The floor around it was littered with four-letter Scrabble arrangements.

"I am afraid that you must alter your plans for them," said the Wizard, unsnaggling a clot of tangled hair in his long, dirtygray beard. "You cannot use extermination as a method for settling your petty grudges with the townspeople.
"

Sort of objection! (It's an issue that has been discussed before and extensively. By others.)
Dungeons and Dragons is at the heart of it more Howard Low Fantasy thanTolkien High Fantasy, and quite possibly more
Anderson whatever-level-fantasy-he-wrote Fantasy than either.
Looking at Appendix N there appears to be far more Low Fantasy and non-Tolkienesque High Fantasy than Tolkienesque.
LINK

Fair, but I'm more interested with replacing the Tolkien trappings with Howard ones. So for instance, the races are all humans of alternating mythic archetypes and grotesque caricatures (except for reptile men, I suppose) instead of elves/dwarves/halflings, and you replace the magic system with something either arbitrary and shamanistic, or don't give it to players at all unless they find artifacts and mystic weapons. Then again, Tolkien didn't have mages shouting lightning bolt either, that's the Vancian magic system.

Yes, and the movie series came out in the early 00's, driven in a very large way by the success of DnD. Without it, it's unlikely to be tried. Certainly there could be an animated series, but nothing like the huge blockbuster we saw IOTL.
That's maybe pushing things. The genre of Fantasy was undergoing a slight resurgence in the late 90's, like it had in the sixties and seventies. Obviously in this second wave DnD played some part, as did Tolkiens works, but then DnD based a lot on Tolkien during the seventies boom in the first place. So at best it's slightly cyclical, but I wouldn't place too much cultural importance on DnD. It's at best a symptom of larger changes.

This is actually a very fascinating question. I think that, as long as the fantasy boom kept on, someone would have eventually connected the dots and jumped from adding fantasy rules to miniatures gaming, to going down a scale-wise towards individual characters. But if that doesn't happen (right away) obviously it'd be a big difference. Things like levels, experience points and the sort all arose from the previously mentioned mixture. If that doesn't happen, maybe adventure games (developed around the same time) will take their place on computers? And choose-your-own-adventure-books fill the real-world niche? In any case the social element would largely be gone. Maybe years down the line there wouldn't be MMORPGs like we know now, or maybe later and rather differently.

Bored of the Rings is best book ever.
Yes! Yes! I'm soooooo happy to see someone else who appreciates the classics!
Do you occasionally find yourself thinking, "Jerk looks like a fork!" or "Pity stayed his hand." ??? I do...
You and marathag are my heros...

Last edited:
Yes! Yes! I'm soooooo happy to see someone else who appreciates the classics!
Do you occasionally find yourself thinking, "Jerk looks like a fork!" or "Pity stayed his hand." ??? I do...
You and marathag are my heros...

This ring, only, was made by the Elves
(Who'd hock their own mother to get at it themselves)
Ruler of creeper and mortal and scallop,
This one's a sleeper that packs might a wallop
If broken or busted it cannot be remade
If found, send to Sorehead
(The postage is pre-paid)

nbcman

Donor
Actually, only D&D is gone, Chainmail and Blackmoor haven't been touched near as I can tell.

TSR could push the Metamorphosis Alpha (precursor to Gamma World) Sci-Fi RPG or uses the Empire of the Petal Throne gaming system instead of the D&D for a sword and sorcery RPG. Both of those titles were released by TSR within a year or two of D&D.