What if Japan had sold Taiwan to France in 1897?

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Corisca is close to France unlike Taiwan. Which in this case means that the logistical cost is lower. Not to mention Corsica also has a lower population base than Taiwan, and thus less possible insurgents.

Right. In less favorable cases, trying to sell a rebelling Haiti or Cuba or the Philippines or Namibia or 13 colonies to another country in Europe or America or Asia, the buyers are going to be wary they are buying a lemon and a money pit.

Good question - and why buy a colony that's in rebellion? You pay for more than the sticker price. There's only one case I know of that happening, France buying rebellious Corsica from the Genoan Republic.
A chinese napoleon would be interesting.

Right. In less favorable cases, trying to sell a rebelling Haiti or Cuba or the Philippines or Namibia or 13 colonies to another country in Europe or America or Asia, the buyers are going to be wary they are buying a lemon and a money pit.
Actually, the Spanish had the opportunity of selling Luzon to the British in the 1880s, after the Gomburza prior to the revolution got violent instead of giving up Sabah, which would likely cause Spain to at least retain Visayas and Mindanao, I have read that selling the Philippines to the British have been a debate since the 7 years war, I think Selling Luzon would have benefited the Spanish in the long term...I think Malaya and Luzon/Selurong would have good relations as the Malayans and Luzonians both hate Chinese...

Actually, the Spanish had the opportunity of selling Luzon to the British in the 1880s, after the Gomburza prior to the revolution got violent instead of giving up Sabah, which would likely cause Spain to at least retain Visayas and Mindanao, I have read that selling the Philippines to the British have been a debate since the 7 years war, I think Selling Luzon would have benefited the Spanish in the long term...I think Malaya and Luzon/Selurong would have good relations as the Malayans and Luzonians both hate Chinese...
Do you think Luz would be better of as a British rather than Spanish colony? Assuming that America takes the Philippines as in OTL, would British rule neccessarily make the area more developed?

Do you think Luz would be better of as a British rather than Spanish colony? Assuming that America takes the Philippines as in OTL, would British rule neccessarily make the area more developed?
Might be...
But if the British took over Luzon, the Spanish would have likely retained Visayas and Mindanao because the Americans would have no allies in the Archipelago anymore, I think the Spanish might have harvested Deuterium in that area.

Spain having Visayas-Mindanao Deuterium bombs would be interesting in WWII...

Last edited:
Actually, Luzon and Hawaii going to Britain would screw US expansion to pacific and Taiwan on French hands would balance the British power in the pacific...