What if Jane Seymour survived her pregnancy in 1537?

In our world Jane Seymour died a few days after giving birth to King Henry VIII's only son, the future Edward VI? But what if she had survived? Since she was Catholic might she push for a reconciliation with the Catholic Church? Also will she and Henry VIII have more children? I am aware of this theory that states only the first child Henry had with a woman would live because of a gene he had, though Mary seems to be an exception.

I’m not sure of how influential Jane would be. She tried interfering beforehand but was put down. However, after the birth of a son she could have more sway over Henry. I do, however, think that a realignment with catholicism is out of the question. Henry was not about to bow to the pope again. The closest we could get would probably be similar to his OTL church. On paper a protestant church but in reality a catholic church with the king in charge instead of the pope, no monasteries and an English bible. However, she might influence Edward and any surviving children they might have to stick with this almost-catholic faith.

As to the gene thing, it has been theorized that Henry was rhesus positive while Anne was rhesus negative. This would explain why Elizabeth was healthy while her later pregnancies weren’t. It could, however, also simply be stress or bad luck. If one ascribes to the former theory then Jane could still easily have more healthy children, if we imagine her to be rhesus positive. If one believes that it was simply stress or bad luck then Jane could still easily have more children :)

Last edited:

Grey Wolf

Donor
In Henry VIII's last years, Katherine Parr was effectively regent for a good while, so Queen Jane would be taking on that role

I fear who Jane would be much less beloved by Henry here than she was in OTL. Her death in childbirth with a son had made Henry forget her defects and mistakes, leaving her living in his memory as his perfect wife. If she lived her place as Queen is assured but not her place in Henry’s hearth.
In Henry VIII's last years, Katherine Parr was effectively regent for a good while, so Queen Jane would be taking on that role
No way. Henry named only two of his wives as regent for him and that were Catherine of Aragon and Katherine Parr. Jane Seymour was not material for a regent (maybe Anne Boleyn, but none of the other wives had the requisites for that role)

She tried pushing for Catholic interests mildly early on. Henry told her to “remember Anne”. He also was having Katherine Parr arrested to be executed for heresy later in life, but she managed to flatter him with agreeing with everything he said and saying she just wanted to distract him from his leg injuries and to learn theology from him. Thus he chewed out the arresting officer when he tried to do it in his presence. Yes, Henry was a bit of a ‘but what have you done for me today’ sort of person and only if you gave him absolutely everything he was after would you be fine.

Assuming she makes it to the end of Henry's reign, how does this effect Edward's minority? Would OTL's difficulties be avoided?

I’m not sure of how influential Jane would be. She tried interfering beforehand but was put down. However, after the birth of a son she could have more sway over Henry. I do, however, think that a realignment with catholicism is out of the question. Henry was not about to bow to the pope again. The closest we could get would probably be similar to his OTL church. On paper a protestant church but in reality a catholic church with the king in charge instead of the pope, no monasteries and an English bible. However, she might influence Edward and any surviving children they might have to stick with this almost-catholic faith.

As to the gene thing, it has been theorized that Henry was rhesus positive while Anne was rhesus negative. This would explain why Elizabeth was healthy while her later pregnancies weren’t. It could, however, also simply be stress or bad luck. If one ascribes to the former theory then Jane could still easily have more healthy children, if we imagine her to be rhesus positive. If one believes that it was simply stress or bad luck then Jane could still easily have more children :)
True, Henry VIII and Jane could easily have more kids. Plus maybe Jane could try and convince Edward VI into rejoining the Catholic Church (he’ll be ten when Henry dies).

Also what would happen to Mary? I don’t think she’ll become a Princess agin though she would probably have a much better run of it in this timeline.

Not necessarily, after all the years of being without a son and finally having one and potentially a second son could make Henry fall for Jane.

In the grand scheme of things, whether Henry loved a surviving Jane as much as he did a dead Jane was irrelevant, she was the mother of the heir and therefore unassailable and she would have likely developed influence.
However I think personality wise Jane was never one to aspire to influence and much like what happened, her brothers would benefit most of all.
I think a surviving Jane's greatest influence would likely have been on the young Edward VI, I don't think he would have been raised with the extremist (by the standards of England at the time) Lutheran views he did, it clearly wasn't Henry's intention as he was much more middle of the road but he was too old and distracted to really pay attention.

In the grand scheme of things, whether Henry loved a surviving Jane as much as he did a dead Jane was irrelevant, she was the mother of the heir and therefore unassailable and she would have likely developed influence.
However I think personality wise Jane was never one to aspire to influence and much like what happened, her brothers would benefit most of all.
I think a surviving Jane's greatest influence would likely have been on the young Edward VI, I don't think he would have been raised with the extremist (by the standards of England at the time) Lutheran views he did, it clearly wasn't Henry's intention as he was much more middle of the road but he was too old and distracted to really pay attention.
That is my idea, Edward VI becomes more amiable to Catholicism and eventually a reunification of Churches occur, especially if he is raised by his Mother.