What if James Francis Edward Stuart/the Old Pretender had agreed to become Anglican?

When Queen Anne was near death, Robert Harley and Henry Bolingbroke reached out to the man who would one day be called the Old Pretender and talked about his possible accession to the Throne if he converted. He refused stating, "I have chosen my own course, therefore it is for others to change their sentiments." But what if he hadn't? What if he had agreed to convert to Anglicanism? Would his accession to being king even be possible? He would still have been Catholic at one point so I think legally, he'd still be considered Catholic but who knows? It still seems unlikely to me but it might give him a chance at least of becoming King for real.

VVD0D95

Banned
He’d need a personality change but if he does convert the tories will back him to the hilt. They’ll likely try and bring him over before Anne dies so he’s on the ground and can take the throne the moment she does

He’d need a personality change but if he does convert the tories will back him to the hilt. They’ll likely try and bring him over before Anne dies so he’s on the ground and can take the throne the moment she does

Interesting. Was there a movement of people who really would have preferred James but weren't willing to support him because he was Catholic?

Ooh, this is about as likely as a Catholic Elizabeth I...that being said he will get a lot of support if he does, and Anne will gladly and peacefully allow him to succeed

Was there anything other than adherence to his father's ideas preventing him from feigning conversion? One would think he would be in a better position to promote his views once he was on the throne.

Deleted member 147978

If James Francis Edward Stuart was indeed willing to convert, would the Act of Settlement of 1701 be declared null and void?

Would a 1714 Stuart Restoration even be viewed as legitimate since Parliament had witnessed his father's reign as king and the Glorious Revolution?

VVD0D95

Banned
If James Francis Edward Stuart was indeed willing to convert, would the Act of Settlement of 1701 be declared null and void?

Would a 1714 Stuart Restoration even be viewed as legitimate since Parliament had witnessed his father's reign as king and the Glorious Revolution?
It may we’ll be , or it may be kept.

and yes it would be legitimate. No reason for it not to be. The moment james converts and is in London he controls to levers of power.