what if Germany succeeded in developing an A-bomb

He-277 V1 prototype NN+QQ , W.Nr.535550 was test flown at Vienna and later Reichlin with BMW801 engines, however the second prototype He-277 B-5 stkz GA+QQ ( former He177 A-08 W.Nr.23) was thoroughly tested. GA+QR Heinkel He277 V10, GA+QM Heinkel He277 V26, GA+QX Heinkel He277 V18, were all tested at Eprobungstelle Reichlin.

If you have documentary evidence to the contrary that the He-277 B-5 could not attain these performances please provide it.

Umm, that's not how it works. You are claiming extraordinary performance, thus you are the one who needs to offer evidence.

In 1989 Manfred Griehl and Joachim Dressel after consulting Hienkel factory documents, discovered and published performance figures taken directly from the He-277’s test flight programs at Reichlin using four test bed aircraft.

(sources: Griehl, Manfred and Dressel, Joachim. [FONT=&quot]Heinkel He 177-277-274[/FONT], Airlife Publishing, Shrewsbury, England 1998.) I’d very much like to see your sources that it allegedly had a service ceiling of only 30K?
You should not be so surprised. It is not fantasy nor a stripped out unladen aircraft being quoted.

So what was the load of the aircraft in the tests that you cite? From what can you claim that they weren't stripped out unladen test platforms?

And I'm really feeling the Nazi-wank from your other comments, ie the old supposed instance of a Ta-152 boosting away from P-51s that has only a single source, Kurt Tank himself, with no corroboration from anything else, including any reports of allied fighters at the time attempting and failing to pursue. And where exactly do you get the idea that Germany had some monopoly on variable compression ratios when it was the UK that pioneered the field?

The Nazis had exactly one thing for high altitude performance that the Allies did not, and that was the nitrous injection, which is only good for a minute or 2.

Last edited:
I'm not citing any references but it appears that 8 He-277's were built. Two were single fin and lacked directional stability. Six had twin fins, and flew well. They all had DB-603 engines with lots of boost. The program was cancelled after three months of first flight. Further plans were to be an increase in wingspan and more powerful Jumo 213 engines. With the originally quoted performance figures, I would wonder why further improvements were deemed necessary. Also, information on this type from all sources available to me indicate that no conclusions can be drawn on the information since it is all different. However, one fact remains. A potentially record breaking aircraft was cancelled after a short life in testing.

Sir William Stephenson is reported to have said "The best lie is a document". I don't know if that's true. I read it in a document.

getting back to an earlier point, the heavy water used by the germans.

I read that the reason used heavy water as a neutron moderator because they never discovered that their graphite moderators didnt work because they contained too much impurities.

So say from the start they do have functioning graphite moderators, would it make a difference?