What if Christopher Columbus gained the sponsorship of king Henry VII Of England

So we all know that Christopher Columbus tried for years to get a European power to sponsor his voyage across the Atlantic. But what if Henry VII Of England sponsored him instead of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand Of Spain?

Assuming Columbus lands in Newfoundland and Labrador there could be a sort of earlier fur trade. I imagine several port towns with the intention of trading with the natives for furs.

Lusitania

Donor
The idea is that Columbus is trying to find a way to India and Asia. Finding no gold, lots of rock, trees and snow will not provide any assurances or enthusiasm to continue.

Iotl Europeans discovered North America and Canada northern areas starting in the early 16th century and took them almost a century to start exploiting it. Columbus finding it 20 years earlier will do nothing to speed it it might actually slow it down.

Europeans wanted the riches from orient and Columbus brought a little gold with promise of a lot more which led to funding of larger expeditions. Nothing here to warrant another expedition.

The plan was that Columbus gets the backing in the lates 80s or early 90s and then sails around spring when it is warm. He then meets some natives who have beaver furs which Columbus collects and brings back to England. Henry VII would then try and exploit the new fur supply and send Columbus to collect more with a trade out post in the mid 1490s.

Lusitania

Donor
The plan was that Columbus gets the backing in the lates 80s or early 90s and then sails around spring when it is warm. He then meets some natives who have beaver furs which Columbus collects and brings back to England. Henry VII would then try and exploit the new fur supply and send Columbus to collect more with a trade out post in the mid 1490s.
Ok, but Columbus was selling the idea of sailing to orient. That what they wanted and while furs might be nice that not what they wanted. I doubt that Columbus would get the funding for a second expedition like he did with Spain.

Remember what was purpose of Columbus expedition. Not to find new lands or furs but to find a way to India and Asia.

When Cabot explorered Canada east coast he met natives and got furs but that did not interest the English who were looking for their own route to roentgen.

Oh okay. So basically England knows the new world's there but doesn't do anything with it, until someone else sails in the same direction and finds the Caribbean. So Columbus's great legacy is left in tatters. Could English merchants establish their own port towns?

Lusitania

Donor
Oh okay. So basically England knows the new world's there but doesn't do anything with it, until someone else sails in the same direction and finds the Caribbean. So Columbus's great legacy is left in tatters. Could English merchants establish their own port towns?
Listen you can think it wrong but look up Cabot that was best example. He sailed for England in 1497 and yes the English ignored Canada and north America because it was not the orient.

John Cabot - Wikipedia

I see. What I meant by someone else was another explorer sailing for a different country and finding the Caribbean and all it’s gold. Would news of the new world spread across Europe or fizzle out before it spreads outside England?

Also England still hired John Cabot several times, maybe Columbus could take a different route and land in the Bahamas somehow?

Lusitania

Donor
I see. What I meant by someone else was another explorer sailing for a different country and finding the Caribbean and all it’s gold. Would news of the new world spread across Europe or fizzle out before it spreads outside England?
Yes gold and riches that was where the $$ was then sugar plantations of Caribbean. The furs was something later in the 2nd half of the 16th century. That was what happen in iOTL.

Lusitania

Donor
Also England still hired John Cabot several times, maybe Columbus could take a different route and land in the Bahamas somehow?
Sorry but before Columbus sailed west many thought they fall off the earth. So any expedition would sail straight west, maybe a far south as mid US east coast. The English not have access to the Azores or the Canaries which the Portuguese and Spanish did.

Early explorers had no knowledge of what lay out there, and expeditions cost $. The English might sponsor second or third expedition and in those he would sail south and might reach Florida and Bahamas but not in the first expedition. There is a reason Columbus reached the Caribbean first and not North America or Brazil it all had to do with currents and winds which in Columbus case were sailing for England were going against him.

I understand. What I meant by a diffrent route, was that on the second or third voyage he would take a diffrent route and land in the Bahamas. I know there was sugar there but was there gold?

Also could merchants from across Europe hear of these new furs and sail towards Newfoundland and Labrador to exploit them?

Lusitania

Donor
I understand. What I meant by a diffrent route, was that on the second or third voyage he would take a diffrent route and land in the Bahamas. I know there was sugar there but was there gold?
There was no sugar there. The Caribbean provided heat and rain which was what sugar cane needed. Sugar cane came from Mediterranean and was brought by Spanish who had already started growing it in southern Spain and canaries.

The gold was received from the natives who lived in Bahamas and they had traded it with other natives. So Columbus under Spain brought news of lands and that there was gold in the area. He took natives back to Spain and gold.

He speculated that the islands were close to Asia and that if he got another expedition he would sail to orient and also get the gold. So the Spanish wanting the riches of the orient and more gold sponsored bigger second and third expedition.

Unfortunately none of the things that Columbus found would be found sailing to Newfoundland or New England.

We just had another thread asking if Bahamas not settled by natives would Columbus get sponsored for another expedition ?

I saw that thread but never read it. But say Columbus does get a third voyage and he does land in the Bahamas and he gets some gold. Will that be enough for Henry VII to not fire him?