what if America had Annexed all of Mexico after the Mexican-American war

iddt3

Donor
Considering that Southern troops made up the majority of the American army in the Mexican war, I'd think the occupation force would be no different. The South is closer and has more interest in it. Would southerners be willing to start a rebellion while quite a bit of their boy are off occupying Mexico?

Sure, there's a chance that all Southern politicians collectively go insane, but it's a short spoon. If it did happen, the civil war would be over in months. You just don't start a war when most of your potential manpower is involved somewhere else.
OTL most of the Southerners in the US army deserted in the lead up to the Civil War and headed home. That might be more difficult if they were involved in an active occupation. Hmmm, say Lee is in charge of the occupation, would he still quit the US army if he was actively responsible for the Military administration of Mexico or somesuch?

Considering that Southern troops made up the majority of the American army in the Mexican war, I'd think the occupation force would be no different. The South is closer and has more interest in it. Would southerners be willing to start a rebellion while quite a bit of their boy are off occupying Mexico?

Sure, there's a chance that all Southern politicians collectively go insane, but it's a short spoon. If it did happen, the civil war would be over in months. You just don't start a war when most of your potential manpower is involved somewhere else.

And who said it would be the south that secedes? My money is on New England being the first to go.

But that occupation would be the reason they secede. no one wants to pay for this and no one really wanted their children to die in a brutal pointless race war, eventually someone will secede in order to break out of the quagmire that the US started.

I don't think we're going for plausibility, because occupation would never happen in the first place as it wasn't even considered in OTL. Kind of makes this an ASB thread.

Hmmm, say Lee is in charge of the occupation, would he still quit the US army if he was actively responsible for the Military administration of Mexico or somesuch?

I'd think very few people would leave the US army. Human emotions dictate almost everything, and US soldiers would hate the Mexican insurgents who they fight on a day to day basis more than they would whatever ideological tiff they have with another American.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they considered any southern secessionists outright traitors. They wouldn't put up with that kind of political nonsense while their friends and army buddies are dieing left and right.

And who said it would be the south that secedes? My money is on New England being the first to go.

Wouldn't this throw the entire political balance of north vs south into hell? I'm getting shivers just thinking about a possible Decades of Darkness out of this(considering if ASBs demand the occupation continue at all costs).

anamarvelo

Banned
prevent the insuergency

is it possible that the Americans can prevent the mexican insurgecy som how?
maby give them equal rights or just turn mexico in to a puppet state run by the cast system
or use the old noble elite to supress the population like they had before the mexican american war and long after.
isn't that possible

is it possible that the Americans can prevent the mexican insurgecy som how?
maby give them equal rights or just turn mexico in to a puppet state run by the cast system
or use the old noble elite to supress the population like they had before the mexican american war and long after.
isn't that possible

No it isnt, keeping the old people in power wont stop a Mexican insurgents (given how the rebel yell is a mexican tradition by this point) and giving them equal rights is both incredibly unlikely and probably wouldnt work.

I suspect the Mexico might become a territory instead of a state... best case scenario eventually becoming like a super Puerto Rico at the turn of the 20th century...a Self-governing commonwealth.

A mexico without the instability of the 19th century might turn out far better once the slavery issue is resolved. Imagine a Trans-Mexican rail line transporting Mexican goods duty-free to the US. A 19th century NAFTA.