What Harry did not tell us.

What happens after the end of the last TL 191 novel? I think that Vice President Truman optimistic prediction of reunification of the former CSA and the USA is naive. There is too much anger in the hearts of White Southerners. I think the US is stuck with a hostile occupied territory. Of course there are many marriages between US servicemen and White Southern women. That is an interesting complication.

. Of course there are many marriages between US servicemen and White Southern women. That is an interesting complication.
Do you mean the ones where the women don't get shot before they emigrate to the North? (The men are safe enough because of the ten-for-one (or was it more) reprisal policy.

Check this thread out.

Edit: Anyway, I can see a long term reunification scheme panning out. It'll be incredibly expensive, but easier in many respects than, say, the OTL occupation of Afghanistan. The cultures are similar, geography isn't something to worry about, the deep south will have plenty of African Americans who will be more than happy to collaborate (even post population reduction, they'll still make up a huge percentage of the population). Give it time. The next generation of kids will grow up without knowing the Confederacy as an independent nation. IIRC, the states the US re-annexed at the end of The Great War didn't cause that much trouble, they mostly just fucked around with the politics. So give them time as a territory before they get full representation. As states become more neutral on the issue of occupation, readmit them; they don't need to be incredibly happy, just not outright aggressive. There will be terrorist attacks here and there from diehard Confederates, but those will do the most damage to the former Confederate states, anyway.

Last edited:
I think Canada is good example. Initial hostility and rebellions, giving way to terrorism while people who accept matters as they are (I think they are accomodators by that female terrorist) grow in numbers until it's just a few isolated diehards.

I think Canada actually demonstrates why a long-term military occupation of Canada is impossible. The Anglophone population and inhabited land area of Canada are both fractions of the Confederacy. Canada has two major uprisings in two generations, and the methods of guerrilla warfare and terrorism have improved greatly since the mid 1920s - car bombs, people bombs, millions of surplus automatic weapons floating about.

Meanwhile, the US has to build a superbomb arsenal to keep pace with Germany, and keep an eye on Japan in the Pacific, all the while continuing to occupy both Canada and Utah, as well as maintain the social services that Americans grew accustomed to post-GW. Politically, the attitude of white Confederates seems far more hostile and bitter than either OTL Germans, or OTL Confederates during Reconstruction. Even with the remaining Negroes and disqualifying former Confederate officers and politicians, there won't be enough willing to take the oath to re-admit the vast majority of states - probably none other than the former Rad Lib areas.

The US is going to reconcile itself to pulling back, probably within twenty years. That fits with the Civil War parallels HT built into Settling Accounts.

mowque

Banned
Craigo;4705483 The US is going to reconcile itself to pulling back said:
Regardless of what he wanted, he got a VERY different world then the Civil War. No way is the USA not going to settle for total domination. I mean, Confederates in Pittsburgh? Talk about waving the bloody shirt.