What does a third term for Harry Truman look like?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

In 1952 there had been a Democrat in the White House for twenty years. If Truman had run and won a third term that would have been 24 years. That’s an entire generation!
Even if you think Truman was very good, which I do, that cannot be good for your democracy and body politic.
Many historians have essentially said what you have said, Cook. Even I, a staunch liberal Democrat agree. Frankly, I just wish somehow FDR could have just been our Depression leader and Truman our WWII leader. That would have been perfect. Truman could have handled 3 terms better than FDR (physically).:)

Many historians have essentially said what you have said, Cook. Even I, a staunch liberal Democrat agree. Frankly, I just wish somehow FDR could have just been our Depression leader and Truman our WWII leader. That would have been perfect. Truman could have handled 3 terms better than FDR (physically).:)

Yes. It might well have been better for everyone concerned if Roosevelt had decided not to run in 1940, someone else (say, Jack Garner) got the Democratic nomination and won (or not), then Republicans followed Democrats in the post-war world. The fatigue of two decades of Democratic leadership may have had a negative effect on the future of the US.

Cook

Banned
Bullseye Cook!:D FDR was SUPREMELY incapable of recognizing his own mortality. Do you know what his plans were for after finishing his 4th term? To run for Secretary General of the UN!:rolleyes: That adds another 5 years to his political commitments.

:eek: Seriously?

Keenir

Banned
Yes. It might well have been better for everyone concerned if Roosevelt had decided not to run in 1940, someone else (say, Jack Garner) got the Democratic nomination and won (or not), then Republicans followed Democrats in the post-war world. The fatigue of two decades of Democratic leadership may have had a negative effect on the future of the US.

if Egypt can survive having one King for 70+ years, the US can handle two decades of a President.

(one of the Ramses lived to be over 90)

Cook

Banned
if Egypt can survive having one King for 70+ years, the US can handle two decades of a President.

(one of the Ramses lived to be over 90)

That’s not exactly a good example of the democratic process surviving a long term leader Keenir. And I’d rather not revert back to God Kings.