Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Confederation of Australasia

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Fiji

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Flag Challenge #178: Hit the Road Jack

Create a flag for a country or territory that currently incorporates the Union Jack (other than the United Kingdom) with a new design that removes it.

Keep your POD as recent as possible, please.

For a list of possible candidates, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lis...s_with_the_Union_Jack_displayed_on_their_flag

Submissions open: Now
Submissions close: 23.12
Voting period: 24.12-31.12

Entry 1 said:
hawaii-png.360675

This isn't a flag for a country with an alternate history, it's just an alternate flag for the State of Hawaii(OTL). The yellow flower is a yellow hibiscus, Hawaii's state flower, and the waves represent Surfing, an iconic sport of Hawaii.

Entry 2 said:
bcflag-png.360687

Here's a redesigned British Columbia:
The yellow represents the sun, the blue represents the Pacific, and the red and white represent Canada!

Entry 3 said:
12-chagos-islands-png.361056

The Chagos Islands (OTL British Indian Ocean Territory) Nation Flag, as a constituent part of a alternate UK/British Empire, formally registered in 1986 (Here Diego Garcia is not handed to the Americans for a military base, so there's no forced eviction of the native Chagossians, and eventually, they become one of many Nations and Provinces within the new UK/BE).

Entry 4 said:
ontarian_flag-png.361085

State of Ontario

After the United State's intervention in the Upper Canadian Rebellion, the Republic of Canada was established as a puppet state of the United States. Now with independence Canadians set out to create new symbols for their identity. Upper Canada, now renamed Ontario created a flag based of the old rebellion flag.

Entry 5 said:
wfc-178-new-zealand-fern-and-southern-cross-flag-png.361296

National flag of New Zealand in TL-4723

----

Excerpts from an MSSE dossier [1], based on information collected by the MIEC [2] of the IDA [3]:

"TL-4723 is speculated to be a relatively recent branching of TL-75 [4].

4723 is well-known as one of the few discovered timelines where New Zealand citizens eventually adopted a more distinctive national flag. The Southern Cross symbolism was preserved, but the traditional Union Jack canton was removed and replaced with a silver fern on a green background. Original plans included keeping the fern on a black background, but the majority of voters taking part in the successful national flag referendum chose a green background variant instead. Though there is some nostalgia for the older flag, especially among older generations, younger generations and more nationalistic New Zealanders have grown fond of the new one in just a few decades. Nowadays, the newer national flag is often referred to colloquially as 'the Fern and the Cross'.

Historians have hotly debated whether certain issues in the political and economic relationship of New Zealand and the United Kingdom, regularly re-occuring since the 1970s, proved a contributing factor in...
" (ERROR; insufficient amount of data recovered; unable to read complete excerpt)

Notes:
[1] - Multiverse Sociopolitical Survey Expedition
[2] - Multiverse Institute Exploration Corps
[3] - InterDimensional Alliance (a sort of multiversal UN/NATO)
[4] - OTL

Entry 6 said:
australasia-png.361697

The Confederation of Australasia

Following the successful confederation of the British American Dominions the same was pushed through for the British Australasian Dominions.
A flag contest was held and the following flag based on one proposed for New Leinster. The flag features a red half and blue half representing the 2 common ensigns, 4 red on on white stars in the pattern of the Southern Cross, and the Confederation Star.

Entry 7 said:
Proposal%203.png

Flag of Fiji

This flag is intended to be interpreted as a journey: The blue stripe provides continuity with the previous flag and thus the Fiji of old, as well as representing the ocean and the maritime origins and culture of Fiji. The white stripe shows modern Fiji, represented by the stars which are united upon the turtle, which represents the humility and perseverance that Fiji intends to display in order to move forward from the old to the new. The gold stripe represents the future of Fiji - the warm sunrise and prosperity that will come if Fijians respect and love one another, and move forward together. The three stars being the three different elements of Fiji in various areas (the geographical elements of Viti Levu, Vanua Levu, and the other islands of Fiji; the ethnic elements of indigenous Fijians, Indo-Fijians, and other ethnic groups; the religious elements of Christians, Hindus, and other religions; and the linguistic elements of Fijian, English, and Hindustani). They are seven-pointed as a symbol of good luck.

Nephi

Banned
To be honest they all kind of not good except for the Fiji one, which is really awesome and well-designed. The Australia one definitely has potential but it's just kind of not the way it is, maybe if there was more blue and less red.

Last edited:
Close vote for me between Fiji, Australasia, and Hawaii, but I had to go with Australasia. That color scheme is just too pretty. :biggrin:

What’s wrong with my flag? I know it’s not very aesthetically appealing but it works.

It works but I think it looks generic and not very interesting. The elements are too basic and not very particular to the region. I would have actually guessed that it has something to do with Belarus before British Columbia.

I *love* the Hawaii one. Myself, I would have flipped the blue and the white or chosen a darker color for the hibiscus. (Red or orange maybe?) The yellow on white of the hibiscus just doesn't stand out. But still, it's pretty awesome.