Was Hitler vegetarian?

I've come across a number of articles online angrily disputing whether Hitler was vegetarian or not. Most of these seem to be rather defensively written by vegetarians, who are upset by the idea that they might have something in common with the Nazi dictator.

My understanding is that Hitler was a vegetarian, from about 1938 onwards. The film Downfall, which is based on the memoires of Hitler's secretary Traudl Junge, depicts this. Frau Manziarly, Hitler's cook, served dishes including pasta, asparagus, cheese, egg and other ingredients - but never meat, and not even fish, according to witnesses.

I was surprised to see the level of controversy that still exists over the Fuhrer's eating habits.

To what extent is Hitler's vegetarianism known? And what is the significance of this?

Disclaimer: I am not equating vegetarianism with Nazism, nor am I condoning the policies of the historical Third Reich. (You'd think that is obvious, but one can never be too sure online...).

I've come across a number of articles online angrily disputing whether Hitler was vegetarian or not. Most of these seem to be rather defensively written by vegetarians, who are upset by the idea that they might have something in common with the Nazi dictator.

My understanding is that Hitler was a vegetarian, from about 1938 onwards. The film Downfall, which is based on the memoires of Hitler's secretary Traudl Junge, depicts this. Frau Manziarly, Hitler's cook, served dishes including pasta, asparagus, cheese, egg and other ingredients - but never meat, and not even fish, according to witnesses.

I was surprised to see the level of controversy that still exists over the Fuhrer's eating habits.

To what extent is Hitler's vegetarianism known? And what is the significance of this?

Disclaimer: I am not equating vegetarianism with Nazism, nor am I condoning the policies of the historical Third Reich. (You'd think that is obvious, but one can never be too sure online...).
Yes, he was a vegetarian. Couldn't stand animal abuse (ironic). Couldn't tolerate the sight of blood. He often mocked those that ate meat.

One of the odd facets of Hitler's life is that, as a politician, he had an absolutely sound record on both the protection of animals and the preservation of historic buildings.

Wasn't he prescribed a vegetarian diet by his doctor, though?

That is one theory, but I haven't seen much evidence to back this up. Another theory is that it was due to his strange sympathy for animals, which did not extend to humans.

It is hard to understand how a commitment to the welfare of animals, including some of the first laws outlawing vivisection, could come from a man otherwise known for his cruelty and evil decisions towards his fellow humans.

Human history is full of ironies and hypocrisies like this. Even today, many people seem to care more for animals than their fellow humans.

It is hard to understand how a commitment to the welfare of animals, including some of the first laws outlawing vivisection, could come from a man otherwise known for his cruelty and evil decisions towards his fellow humans.

Because animals aren't the literal root of all evil and a certain ethnic group is?
Throw in a dose of Social Darwinism on top of that.

Start there and being brutal isn't just for kicks. It is downright necessary for the survival of your own people.

I tend to find most humans are pretty logical. Just in cases like the above they start with some very questionable inputs. :(

Because animals aren't the literal root of all evil and a certain ethnic group is?
Throw in a dose of Social Darwinism on top of that.

Start there and being brutal isn't just for kicks. It is downright necessary for the survival of your own people.

I tend to find most humans are pretty logical. Just in cases like the above they start with some very questionable inputs. :(

Ah, I see. So animals are afforded extra respect because they are non political.

I remember there is a memorable dinner scene in the Downfall movie. Hitler is discussing apes, and how when an intruder strays into an area, the apes will drive him out. And the same goes for humans, he says.

It didn't make much sense to me but perhaps that's where the social Darwinism comes into play. I still can't understand how he could allow so many people to die in the war while not being able to watch an animal being hurt in a fictional movie.

Click on the comments section of pretty much any article titled something along the lines of “Man-eating Tiger caught by authorities in India” or “Nile Crocodile claims fifth victim, police kill Crocodile three hours with stomach contents of three people”, and you will see quite a few people who openly support the animals and can’t believe that anyone wants to put an end to their spree.

i seem to remember that, along with probable Parkinson's, Hitler had alot of digestive problems. as evil as he was, he was still human, after all, and had human-level problems like any of us. like, i've been having to cut back on fats and sugars because the blood work from my last physical turned up that i was on the verge of being in danger of diabetes; that doesn't mean i'm in the same class as President Cheeseburger (or Bill Clinton, if you prefer, who iirc also basically had a burger a day until his heart attack which forced him to change his diet)

also: Hitler Ate Sugar

I've seen vegetarians attempting to defend vegetarianism by using the "No true Scotsman" fallacy. They attempt to claim that Hitler was not a "true" vegetarian.

I found that a little ridiculous... and slightly amusing. :)

quote-hitler-was-a-vegetarian-just-goes-to-show-vegetarianism-not-always-a-good-thing-can-bill-bailey-82-76-06.jpg

I've seen vegetarians attempting to defend vegetarianism by using the "No true Scotsman" fallacy. They attempt to claim that Hitler was not a "true" vegetarian.

I found that a little ridiculous... and slightly amusing. :)
Did they point out how he ate sausages? Though looking it over, it seems he didn't like the gruesomeness of slaughter. Who knows?

Did they point out how he ate sausages? Though looking it over, it seems he didn't like the gruesomeness of slaughter. Who knows?

Yes. He is alleged to have eaten only vegetarian food from about 1942 onwards, although he self identified as a vegetarian as early as 1938.

Interesting fact: the ultimate fate of Hitler's personal cook Frau Manziarly is unknown. She disappeared in May 1945 during the final hours of the Fuhrer bunker. Most likely she was killed in the break out attempt, as the survivors attempted to get through the Soviet lines under cover of night, although no record exists of her death.

Last edited:

Geon

Donor
I suspect part of the problem is that several people who are vegetarians are uneasy in the extreme with the idea of Hitler being numbered among them. The idea being that a vegetarian should have respect for all life and is pacifistic in their outlook according to their belief As a result one of the greatest criminals of the 20th century being both an animal lover and a vegetarian just doesn't sit well with their view of what a vegetarian should be.

SsgtC

Banned
I suspect part of the problem is that several people who are vegetarians are uneasy in the extreme with the idea of Hitler being numbered among them. The idea being that a vegetarian should have respect for all life and is pacifistic in their outlook according to their belief As a result one of the greatest criminals of the 20th century being both an animal lover and a vegetarian just doesn't sit well with their view of what a vegetarian should be.
Those are Vegans, not vegetarians

That may be, but this is certainly true.
I suspect part of the problem is that several people who are vegetarians are uneasy in the extreme with the idea of Hitler being numbered among them.
I don't think there is any group of people around that would want Hitler to be part of their group. See for example the Austrians who realy don't like to admit that Hitler was Austrian.

Hitler and the rest of the true believers didn’t view Jews, Slavs, Roma etc as human beings.

They were seen as subhuman animals meant only for death and enslavement.

What's the difference? Do vegans have more insecurity towards Hitler than vegetarians? Shouldn't it be the other way round? I'm not sure veganism even existed at that time. Even being vegetarian would have been extremely unusual.

Hitler and the rest of the true believers didn’t view Jews, Slavs, Roma etc as human beings.

They were seen as subhuman animals meant only for death and enslavement.

The really crazy thing is, he actually treated animals better than people.

There are some extreme animal rights activists and environmentalists that see other humans as a nuisance for chopping down trees or hunting animals, despite this being the only way for those people to feed their families.

Last edited: