War of 1812

As I understand the Anglo-American war of 1812 was envisaged by many Americans as the simple task of just marching since they believed the Canadian colonists as they had done in the 13 colonies would see the US as liberators and soon expel the British from the continent. Also it appears from other threads in the past the US did not have the military capacity to conquer British North America. However say there was great support for revolution in British North America could the USA have gained Canada from the war of 1812? If so how would the following two centuries be affected (i.e. Anglo-American relations, WWI, WWII, Cold War etc)?

(i.e. Anglo-American relations, WWI, WWII, Cold War etc)

They wouldn't happen due to the POD that would set up a completely different chain reaction of events then the ones that occurred in OTL and by 1914 would have long ago became an unrecognizable history.

As for Anglo-American relations I don't know. But I think even if the Americans did take Canada then they would have used it as a bargaining chip against Britain rather than annex it though I'm no expert on that. As for the reason why Canadians didn't support the Americans when they arrived was because Canada was settled by Loyalists exiles after the American War of Independence, considering they went all the way to a frozen wasteland just to remain a part of the British Empire and to get away from the US I can see why they weren't in a hurry to join the good ol USA.

I think that for a total American victory during the war of 1812, the US would need a number of things to fall in place.

The first would be a better funded and better trained army of America's regulars, not just raised militias. Additionally, the full support of New England in terms of sending troops, supplies, and funds.

I always thought it also wouldve been benefitial to somehow encourage the quebecquois to revolt at this time as well.

...or you could just go the SM Sirling Route as in teh Draka novels, and basically move most of the losers from the American revolution to another location, rather than Canada, so that in essence there's no real opposition, no matter whose for or against the war in the US.

As for continued Anglo-American relations? Unless somthing drastic happens, I wouldnt think it much different from the way it turned out IOTL. Things may remain rocky for the remained of the 19th century, but once the 20th century arrives the Brits and the Americans allready have too much intested in one another, and too much in common. A factor that will be bolsterd by the spectors of Germany, Russia, Japan, and possibly even China.