War Goats!!!

Inspired by incessant listening to the latest album by 3 Inches Of Blood (great metal band by the way)...

What would it take for the goats to be used as war mounts? Not sure if this should go into ASB or here, but let's presume there was a culture on Earth determined to turn the goats to fill the role of horses. How long would it take, would it be possible at all, or are we talking purely ASB?

You would need much smaller soldiers. If they are fighting against soldiers who are "normal" sized by OTL's standards, the small goat-mounted soldiers are going to be at a serious disadvantage.

They're too small to ride. Unless it was possible to breed them to pony size.

That's a part of the question... so, let's presume some civilization decides to do exactly that. Not sure why... perhaps some religious justification, or maybe their horses don't survive, but goats do, and they attempt to breed a war goat. Is it possible?

They're too small to ride. Unless it was possible to breed them to pony size.

It would take time, but you could breed them up in size. You would probably laugh at Mongols for their pitiful little ponies...

On the other hand, I'm not sure I would want to go anywhere near a goat large enough to ride. Eeek!

It would take time, but you could breed them up in size. You would probably laugh at Mongols for their pitiful little ponies...

Indeed. The Roman auxiliary cavalry used small tough ponies, so small that their riders feet sometimes trailed on the ground. But they were tougher and better on hard terrain than any larger horses. Cheaper to maintain as well.

Never mind war goats, there was a Black Sabbath track War Pigs, now a fully grown porker could easily be big enough to ride.:eek:

That is if you could find a wrangler willing to train it.:D

But if you could imagine a fully armoured knight on a pony sized, armoured, be-tusked wild boar.
Barry40102_3.jpg

I belive that a heard of goats running against the enemy could be dangerus. I also want to call it GOAT PUNK and postulate a world rum by mega corperations :D

I meant their temper. But now that you mention it, the smell can't be too good, either, although I don't know how close you've ever come to a camel.

I was almost savaged by camels on three separate occasions, in three separate countries: Egypt, Oman and the UAE (bizarrely, by one being led round an urban area).

That's not usual, is it? Maybe I just gave them the hump.