W.I. Hitler dies fighting?

Joseph Goebbels said in a radio broadcast the Fuhrer died fighting the Russians in the Battle of Berlin, yet what if he did? He was, Hitler, that is, was not in the best frame of mind for at least 6 months before his death, would anyone have stopped him going to the front line? He was by many accounts a brave solider in the First World War, could he do the same in 1945? If so how would history remember him? Of course he was not the best person ever to live, and a hell of a lot of blood was on his hands. could this. maybe an hour or so 'redeem' him even slightly?

Type about this for a bit.

Joseph Goebbels said in a radio broadcast the Fuhrer died fighting the Russians in the Battle of Berlin, yet what if he did? He was, Hitler, that is, was not in the best frame of mind for at least 6 months before his death, would anyone have stopped him going to the front line? He was by many accounts a brave solider in the First World War, could he do the same in 1945? If so how would history remember him? Of course he was not the best person ever to live, and a hell of a lot of blood was on his hands. could this. maybe an hour or so 'redeem' him even slightly?

Type about this for a bit.
Stalin either covers it up, claiming Hitler was cowering in his bunker, or the body is paraded for the world to see. To be fair, the state Hitler was in at the end, he isn't doing much.

If he died fighting, he can't be cowering in the bunker, and his body would be riddled with injuries...
He can die fighting cowering in his bunker, if he decides to fight in the bunker, so the Russians have to pry him out. Although they may use flamethrowers doing that, so he's burned to a crisp. The same could happen if he didn't decide to fight, but neither commits suicide, but instead just hides in the bunker.

If he goes out to fight, there's a myriad of ways to die, ranging from a clean shot between the eyes to blown to bits by artillery fire. There's a chance his remains are never found.

He can die fighting cowering in his bunker, if he decides to fight in the bunker, so the Russians have to pry him out. Although they may use flamethrowers doing that, so he's burned to a crisp. The same could happen if he didn't decide to fight, but neither commits suicide, but instead just hides in the bunker.

If he goes out to fight, there's a myriad of ways to die, ranging from a clean shot between the eyes to blown to bits by artillery fire. There's a chance his remains are never found.
That is true...but with no body, can he be said to be dead?

I honestly don't think this is something that can be covered up, not indefinitely. Eventually the truth would come out and Hitler would be seen in a way better light than now. Note, "way better light" is still a loooong way to go from "good".

Now, if you put something like, Hitler trying to salvage his reputation at the imminent defeat, sends a telegram to all armed forces demanding the arrest of Himler and the SS, saying he has discovered they engaged in the mass killing against his will, even claiming they were Stalin operatives who successfully thwarted his plan on a war of liberation in the USSR and they built a parallel mass killing operation to avoid the Soviet people rallying to his cause and overthrowing Stalin, THAT would go a long way for making Hitler a "gray" figure.

No, it wouldn't matter if there is a lot of evidence Hitler knew, already in OTL as it is, a lot of Neo Nazis claim Hitler didn't knew. With this? The myth of Hitler being a Napoleon instead of the mass murderer we know and a crusader against communism would be a popular conspiracy theory that would rival with the official history.

I honestly don't think this is something that can be covered up, not indefinitely. Eventually the truth would come out and Hitler would be seen in a way better light than now. Note, "way better light" is still a loooong way to go from "good".

Now, if you put something like, Hitler trying to salvage his reputation at the imminent defeat, sends a telegram to all armed forces demanding the arrest of Himler and the SS, saying he has discovered they engaged in the mass killing against his will, even claiming they were Stalin operatives who successfully thwarted his plan on a war of liberation in the USSR and they built a parallel mass killing operation to avoid the Soviet people rallying to his cause and overthrowing Stalin, THAT would go a long way for making Hitler a "gray" figure.

No, it wouldn't matter if there is a lot of evidence Hitler knew, already in OTL as it is, a lot of Neo Nazis claim Hitler didn't knew. With this? The myth of Hitler being a Napoleon instead of the mass murderer we know and a crusader against communism would be a popular conspiracy theory that would rival with the official history.
I think it would only matter for neo-nazi's. The rest of the world would most likely realise it was basically suicide by Russians and not leading his armies as Napoleon (which had gone out of style in the 20th century anyway), because he only did it once: on his last day.

I think it would only matter for neo-nazi's. The rest of the world would most likely realise it was basically suicide by Russians and not leading his armies as Napoleon (which had gone out of style in the 20th century anyway), because he only did it once: on his last day.

I say this combined with Hitler acting outraged and pretending he didn't knew anything about the mass massacres, Holocaust, etc. That he was betrayed by the SS and then going out fighting himself. That would go a long way of muddying his image.

Note, to this day, to my knowledge, there is no written proof about Hitler's involvement in the mass killings, but we assume he was involved due other evidence If Hitler did something like this, it would add great doubt and paing him in a more gray light.

Would it be enough to make "Hitler didn't knew and was a conqueror, no a mass murderer" position the popular one? No. However I do think, this would bring this position on par with the "911 was an inside job" conspiracy theory, rather than a super fringe position held just by neo nazis.

I believe one SS officer described Hitler as a man in his 80s when he was in the bunker. He could barely even walk further than a hundred feet without someone helping him, let alone run in combat with a machine gun.

My first thought was: Dies fighting? In WWI?
Well if he died in WWI then it is plausible to think the working-class far-right party that IOTL we know of as the Nazi party would just be fringe radicals. WITH Hitler there they got only 37 percent of votes...and without his insistence of break-neck rearmament then it is possible WWII would take place at a later decade, say the 50s