Victoria, trend setter

Dure

Banned
Can anyone think of a reasonable POD for a time-line in which Queen Victoria invents and popularises the bikini?

maybe if folks took their neoclassicism more to heart? and looking at the pictures on wiki, she wasnt so harsh on the eyes, at least in her youth...

She might have decided that something like the 'tankini' was just what was needed to show off her dear Albert's ... attributes.

Hey, it didn't say SHE had to wear it.

(NB: My dad was nearly arrested for going topless on a beach. Yup. Dad. In the United States (Boston?). OK, so it was the '30s or '40s)

Problems

Hmm... well for a start, it wouldn't be called the bikini (that was a name given after the H-bomb tests at Bikinin Atoll)

There's also a problem with climate: it was colder in the 19th Century (the Thames froze over in 1814, for instance). Where would she wear a bikini?

I suppose Victoria MIGHT have been able to carry off a bikini in her late 'teens' but that only gives you a window of something like 1835 to 1839. After that date (at the risk of seeming ungallant) I think it's unlikely that she would be starting new fashions in swimwear - because she married and started having children every other year.

Now.. her daughter Princess Louise. SHE might be a candidate for new types of swimwear.

Problems

Hmm... well for a start, it wouldn't be called the bikini (that was a name given after the H-bomb tests at Bikinin Atoll)

There's also a problem with climate: it was colder in the 19th Century (the Thames froze over in 1814, for instance). Where would she wear a bikini?

I suppose Victoria MIGHT have been able to carry off a bikini in her late 'teens' but that only gives you a window of something like 1835 to 1839. After that date (at the risk of seeming ungallant) I think it's unlikely that she would be starting new fashions in swimwear - because she married and started having children every other year.

Now.. her daughter Princess Louise. SHE might be a candidate for new types of swimwear.
What if she visited India? It's pretty steamy there... Maybe Louise visits right after the Raj and takes something hmm, interesting and...?

You'd need a continuation of the more decadent Georgian period, displacing the much more staid, morally upright Victorian attitudes which arrived with Vicky's reign. Perhaps have George IV live longer and be a more popular king, legitimising the almost-anything-goes attitudes of his time. The crusade to abolish slavery might have to fail, as those who aggitated against it were often those of the most morally righteous disposition. Knock them back, and Britain becomes a much less moral society where the pursuit of profit remains more important than the suffering of fellow men. Perhaps with less emphasis on moral rectitude amongst the upper and middle classes, there would be more acceptance of a lady dressing in such a manner.

I do think that whatever happens, however, the heir to the throne wearing a bikini in the early 19th century is going to cause a LOT of raised eyebrows. I can guarantee, however, that once Princess Victoria is seen in a bikini, every lady of wealth will want one, whatever the scandal mongers may say.

Fletch

Kicked
I think that is a very important POD, it was what I was going to suggest. I think that if you count her OTL looks... she just was not bikini matierial.
The older Victoria, well maybe. The younger Victoria, well I have to disagree.
QueenVictoria.jpg

QueenVictoria.jpg

Dure

Banned
How about if the Victorian's discovered Spandex early as I suggested in my recent thread: Elasticated, weatherproof, shocking pink Victorians? Victoria in a shocking pink spandex thong is a lot more interesting than Victoria in a woolen two-piece.

Dure

Banned
I don't like cynicism Jimbrock especially when some of us are working really hard on a serious time-line!