Victoria; An Empire Under the Sun

The same reason Victoria 1 has some of the problems it did, Paradox was in a way trying to white-wash the past, notice how their are no events that code for historic attrocities/genocides (one of the reasons populations get so ridiculously large if you play from 1836 to 1936), the only native African states that exist are the ones you can't ignore and (admittedly due to laziness as well) they did'nt do demographics correctly.

That never really answered my question…

Honestly, probably Realism, IOTL the only kind of trades like that were of really small things like Tradingt Posts and Forts, not entire chunks of land.

But in virtually uninhabited places, that translated to a section of land, similar to the puzzle pieces out of which the game's map is made.

Anyway, I really want to see Paradox move to vector-based games.

Have the map be a fully fluid thing. During wars, the "front" is an ever-changing vector line, and the points along the line that tell the in-betweens where to go are the units advancing in their various directions.

Cities would be represented as points themselves, dotted along the map. Resources (oil, grain, etc.) would live in their own layer as vector blob objects drawn with points and bezier curves. And the terrain would also be in its own layer. This allows political borders to be absolutely fluid things that move realistically along the landscape (automatically snapping to the peaks of mountain ranges, rivers, etc.), and also affords neighboring countries the ability to share local resources (or, you know, start wars over owning an entire resource blob).

It'd give them an excuse to redo every single game they've ever made yet again, too. And I'd BUY THEM ALL, because no one has ever done a game like that.

The same reason Victoria 1 has some of the problems it did, Paradox was in a way trying to white-wash the past, notice how their are no events that code for historic attrocities/genocides (one of the reasons populations get so ridiculously large if you play from 1836 to 1936), the only native African states that exist are the ones you can't ignore and (admittedly due to laziness as well) they did'nt do demographics correctly.

I don't think they got rid of land-trading for any reason due to history - the AI was terrible at land trades and this was exploited all the time, and they wanted to remove an exploit IIRC.

What don't you like about V2, by the way? I agree that unpatched it was pretty terrible, but now that we're at AHD 2.3, I like it much better than V1. The economy is more realistic and the politics is more interesting than V1, IMO.

Tannhäuser

Banned
I considered it, but I just did'nt like what I saw in it.

I've long since downloaded an exapnded flag pack and have edited the party files of most countries to reflect history and can just edit the game file for other stuff, so yeah.

Please please please get VIP. I'm assuming that, as a member of this board, you want your games to be historically plausible. VIP basically makes everything go the way it did, except for when you change it. So the only wars will be ones that actually happened, except for the ones you start, etc... Victoria 1 with VIP is vastly superior to Victoria 2 (though its own historical plausibility mod is starting to get going).

Please please please get VIP. I'm assuming that, as a member of this board, you want your games to be historically plausible. VIP basically makes everything go the way it did, except for when you change it. So the only wars will be ones that actually happened, except for the ones you start, etc... Victoria 1 with VIP is vastly superior to Victoria 2 (though its own historical plausibility mod is starting to get going).

To be honest the only issues with unrealistic wars I've ever had was Britain DoWing Egypt...even when it's already a Satellite of them.

(though its own historical plausibility mod is starting to get going).

Do you mean APD or VRRP? Honestly, I'd say they're pretty well-established - the problem is that APD makes my computer slow to a crawl and makes the map freeze up when I zoom in :(. I haven't tried VRRP.

One of the reasons why I never dived into VIP was because I don't want my game to play out just like real history. I want stuff to change, that's why I'm playing this kind of game.

So about a year ago I spent a week Editing a Save File to create an ISOT event, the below is a Screenshot from it;

ScreenSave1.png

Onyx

Banned
This is starting to piss me off, the 1848 Revolutions are not occuring and Im really annoyed about it isnt... :mad:

I absolutely cannot figure out how to conduct a war. It's so completely different from how it operates in Vicky II. My troops are slow, they die off easily, and while there are plenty to replace them in my pool, there aren't enough guns to go around apparently. Meanwhile, my opponents always have hoards of troops who can take three provinces in the time it takes my army to walk from one to the other.

Honestly, I could make it work if I just dedicated the entire game to raising troops on the off-chance that someone declares war. I'd be fine if I weren't limited to raising 10,000 soldiers, waiting 7 months, raising 10,000 more, waiting 7 moths, and so on. It takes too much time to get my forces in order.

My troops are slow, they die off easily,

Their are six potential reasons for these;

1. They're in a province with a life rating below 20 and are thus suffering natural attrition from the environment being unhospitable OR being in an uncolonized province, which have natural attrition regardless of life rating.

2. They're facing enemies with superior arms; regular troops will be curbstomped by Artillery troops and decimated by Tank troops.

3. They're in enemy controlled provinces they have'nt taken over yet.

4. They're isolated, either on a literal island with the enemy ocupying the sea provinces around it or the metropoles coast thus preventing shipment of supplies or are in a non-productive province that's surrounded on all sides by enemy controlled provinces.

5. Infrastructure (Railroad) level; troops move faster the more infrastructure the provinces have, so for example it may take several game weeks for troops to move from point A to point B when their's no infrastructure, yet only take a few game days when the same route has alot of infrastructure.

6. The size of the provinces they're moving from and to also affects the speed, so for instance, it'll take longer for troops to move between the large provinces of Brazil than it would between the smaller provinces of New England, even if they're all at the same infrastructure level.

there aren't enough guns to go around apparently.

When making troops you have to specifically choose the equipment they'll have, so if you just open the troop building menu, set the number to 10 and say build, they won't have any equipment and will be easily defeated by enemy troops with equipment, you have to use the drop down menu to choose what kind of equipment they'll be equipped with, ranging from (but not limited to) Artillery to HQ units to Tanks.

I'd be fine if I weren't limited to raising 10,000 soldiers, waiting 7 months, raising 10,000 more, waiting 7 moths, and so on. It takes too much time to get my forces in order.

Unless you're playing as China, Russia or one of the Empries that's militarized a large chunk of its population, you should'nt be able to create that many troops that often, so I'm not totaly sure what you're meaning here.

I've noticed that the international trade is weird at times -- if I want, say, steamers, and I select the "buy" thing, I don't buy any, even if there's some on the market and I have enough money.

Also, I'd love to figure out how to get my population to colonize conquered territories (versus actual colonies). I remember that once, as Russia, I colonized Central Africa and the colony quickly became half-Russian. I want that to happen next time I conquer Arabia as Sweden. :D

I've noticed that the international trade is weird at times -- if I want, say, steamers, and I select the "buy" thing, I don't buy any, even if there's some on the market and I have enough money.

Did you make sure to take auto-trade off, because if you don't the AI will just sell them the second you buy them.

Also, I'd love to figure out how to get my population to colonize conquered territories (versus actual colonies). I remember that once, as Russia, I colonized Central Africa and the colony quickly became half-Russian. I want that to happen next time I conquer Arabia as Sweden. :D

Make sure the province in question is'nt totally unhospitable, it has open resource slots (IE 3/5 Fruit pickers) and you overload the resource slots in your Metropolitan provinces, which you do by splitting pops that are 40,001 or larger, that way you'll have home provinces where their are say 11 pops, but only 5 of them can work in the provinces resource so they then automatically immigrate, first to other metroplolitan provinces, then to the America's and then to you colonies, unless said colony is prime real estate.

Last edited:
I'd be fine if I weren't limited to raising 10,000 soldiers, waiting 7 months, raising 10,000 more, waiting 7 moths, and so on. It takes too much time to get my forces in order.

Manpower grows faster based on how much MP you have in reserve. So if you have 20MP, build a division leaving you with 10MP, it will take longer for you to get to 20MP again than it will if you waited until you hit 30.

So, rather than building an army every seven months, wait until you have, say, 40MP and then build four armies. Rather than waiting 28 months, your wait will be much shorter. However, if you lose those armies you're screwed, but eh.

Trade is based off the amount of prestige you have. The country that has the most prestige gets first pick, then the country with the second largest amount of prestige gets second pick, and so on.

If you have low prestige it'll be a while before you'll be able to buy the in-demand items like Steamers and Machine Parts.

Which country are you playing as?

Did you make sure to take auto-trade off, because if you don't the AI will just sell them the second you buy them.

Nope, turned auto-trade off.

Make sure the province in question is'nt totally unhospitable, it has open resource slots (IE 3/5 Fuit pickers) and you overload the resource slots in your Metropolitan provinces, which you do by splitting pops that are 40,001 or larger, that way you'll have home provinces where their are say 11 pops, but only 5 of them can work in the provinces resource so they then automatically immigrate, first to other metroplolitan provinces, then to the America's and then to you colonies, unless said colony is prime real estate.

Thanks. Swedish Yemen, here I come! :D