Vichy Ste Pierre and Miquellon

Imagine this:

Its 1940 and Germany has conquered France. OTL, these islands sided with DeGaulle's Free French. What if they went Vichy and allowed a German garrison and German submarines to operate out of the islands' ports?

The Canadians would be over those Islands like hair on an Ape. Or would that be moose? :p

The Germans couldnt get over to them fast enough and even if they did Germany is along was away and Canada is alot closer.

Getting a garrison there

If things went right, Vichy could get a garrison there, IMHO. Use a French ship, and no one can legally stop it, and might not try. A later ship might carry German supplies. However, the islands promptly get a standing patrol of American warships around the area. If Germany tries to base ships there, the US Marines get a preview of amphibious assaults--and the Atlantic Fleet gets live fire naval gunnery support practice.

IIRC didn't the governor of Ste Pierre et Miquelon initially exhibit pro-Vichy loyalties, which resulted in Free French forces invading the islands and taking them over for De Gaulle ? I just recall that from watching a documentary about the relationships between the Allied leaders during WWII...

Susano

Banned
Didnt the USA regard Vichy as legal government, befroe teh yentered the war against Germany?
If so, the monroe doctrine doesnt even kick in. The territroies were already owned by an european power all in all, and whats its legit (in the opinion of the USA) government does with it is their buiseness...
So it is certainly possible.

What I don't understand is why the Vichy government offers the Germans use of teh islands. I suppose if Hitler pur pressure on them they'd have little choice but I can't help but feel what we're seeing here is more of the "Vichy France was pro-German" myth.

Martinique

Wasn't there some kind of a agreement between the Vichy and the US about not stationing Troops on Martinique to prevent the US from taking over the Island. perhaps a simular arrangement for here.