GcnUJyM.jpg

Yoko Ono was in London in late 1965 compiling original musical scores for a book John Cage was working on called 'Notations'. She asked Paul McCartney for any of his own manuscripts. While initially hesitant, McCartney agreed to meet with the artist in order to discuss an agreement.

It was during this meeting that they found they had a lot more in common than they first thought...​

VENUS & MARS
the ballad of Paul & Yoko

And when at last I find you
de54463e64dfcb6b8db9e14a6211163dde97b6ea.jpg

While they didn't consummate their relationship until a year or so later, Yoko slowly began to find herself wedged in to the band dynamic. She first appeared in the studio, usually a space dominated by the boys and treated as an unspoken men's only club, on May 30th, 1968. The band had just returned from their decampent to India in which they'd written the bulk of their new material. On a whim, McCartney invited the artist down to the studio.

81fc14663e4b6b9fe6c226baf8e2312d.jpg

above: Ono, 1968

Geoff Emerick: "For the next couple of hours Ono just sat quietly with us in the control room. It had to have been even more uncomfortable for her than it was for any of us. She had been put in an embarrassing situation, plunked right by the window so that George Martin and I had to crane our heads around her to see the others out in the studio and communicate with them. As a result, she kept thinking we were staring at her. She’d give us a polite, shy smile whenever she’d see us looking in her direction, but she never actually said anything."

McCartney had made note of this uncomfortable atmosphere and opted to try something different, inviting ono down into the studio when the others had packed up after a day of rehearsing. The pair then attempted to make music together for the first time, with both coming to slight conflicts with their own respective ideas about melody and pitch. Ono had first performed her unique style of singing (what others would call 'screaming) earlier that year in February, alongside jazz musician Ornette Coleman in the Royal Albert Hall.

yoko-ono-ornette_coleman_01.jpg

above: Ono (far right) rehearses with Ornette Coleman's band, 1968

The composition performed with Coleman, titled "AOS", had been met with confusion by the general public. Very quickly, tho, McCartney saw that she wasn't all moaning and wailing.

Paul McCartney: "She has quite a lovely singing voice, really. The screeching she did was...interesting? I couldn't really do with it. But her singing voice was lovely. Not even comparatively, either."

At the time, the Cute Beatle (as he was known) was still amongst a handful of relationships and casual flings. He had a long-term relationships with actress Jane Asher, travelling with her to India, but was also in two seperate affairs with model Maggie McGivern and scriptwriter Francie Schwartz. This would all eventually come to a head when Asher caught McCartney in bed with Schwartz, following which he broke things off with McGivern in a show of good faith, hoping to repair his and Asher's relationship. They tried, but by the end of '68, the pair had annulled their engagement.

asher+jane.jpg

above: Asher, 1967

Following this, McCartney invited Ono to his home on Cavendish Avenue in hopes that the creative sessions could continue in a more comfortable environment. It was during that session, after two hours of recording acoustic compositions, they made love at dawn.

kmCP2ZJ.jpg

Paul McCartney & Yoko Ono - Grapefruit
released May, 1968

SIDE 1
1. Open Your Box (Ono-McCartney)
2. Junk (McCartney)
3. Who Has Seen the Wind? (Ono)
4. No Bed (Ono)
5. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? (McCartney)
6. Remember Love (Ono)

SIDE 2
1. Can You Take Me Back (McCartney)
2. Don't Worry (Ono)
3. Heather (McCartney-Ono)
4. Never Say Goodbye (Ono)
5. Goodbye (McCartney)

The resulting compositions, collected together in an album titled "Grapefruit", was treated as some sort of oddity by listeners, with the more softer McCartney guitar plucking being counterbalanced by the ethereal otherness of Ono's voice. The BBC opted to ban the album, not due to its contents, but more so due to the 'unspoken suggestiveness' of its cover.

zb148Gs.jpg

The Beatles - [self-titled]
released October, 1968

SIDE 1
1. Birthday (Lennon-McCartney)
2. Dear Prudence (Lennon)
3. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Di (McCartney)
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Harrison)
5. Helter Skelter (McCartney)
6. Revolution (Lennon)
7. A Velvet Hand (Lennon)

SIDE 2
1. Glass Onion (Lennon)
2. Blackbird (McCartney)
3. The Way You Look Tonight (McCartney)
4. I’m So Tired (Lennon)
5. This Is Some Friendly (Starr)
6. Sour Milk Sea (Harrison)
7. Across the Universe (Lennon)

The "White Album", so called because calling it by it's eponymous title could be confusing to a few, had the capacity to be a double album. This fabled two-LP set never managed to materialise as a result of apathy and selectivism. It was George Martin, the Beatles' steadfast producer, that the sheer amount of songs the band had churned out while on their meditative retreat, that first suggested that the contents could be halved. Starr seconded this, with Harrison opting to abstain in favor of whichever option gave him more features. Lennon and McCartney, considered the ultimate authority, both responded apathetically, the former due to complications in his home life and the latter due to his courtship with Yoko Ono.

As was usual, the latest Beatles release shot to the top of the charts and stayed there for a long while...

Last edited:
Album releases 1969/1970

tzAJ9Bp.jpg

The Beatles - Brick Lane
SIDE 1

1. Because (Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starr)
2. Just Fun (Lennon-McCartney)
3. Oh! Darling (McCartney)
4. Here Comes the Sun (Harrison)
5. She Came In Through the Bathroom Window (McCartney)
6. All I Want Is You (Lennon)
7. Can You Dig It? (Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starr)

SIDE 2
1. Don't Let Me Down (Lennon)
2. Something (Harrison)
3. Suicide (McCartney)
4. Octopus's Garden (Starr)
5. Look Out The Window (Harrison)
6. Oh My Love (Lennon)
7. Gone Tomorrow, Here Today (McCartney)

*Lennon divorces his wife, then divorces the Beatles.

6bouirv.jpg

Paul McCartney & Yoko Ono - Let It Be...Naked
SIDE 1

1. Don't Count The Waves (Ono)
2. Rock 'n' Roll Springtime (McCartney)
3. Like A Woman (McCartney-Ono)
4. Mind Holes (Ono)
5. Broken Hearted People (McCartney)

SIDE 2
1. Hot as Sun (McCartney)
2. Will You Touch Me (Ono)
3. I Felt Like Smashing My Face In A Clear Glass Window (Ono-McCartney)
4. Move on Fast (Ono-McCartney)
5. Flowers In Her Hair (McCartney)

* annoyed that the BBC would blanket-ban an album with a fruit on the cover, McCartney really gives them something to ban.

W3Gdkwz.jpg

George Harrison - My Sweet Lord
SIDE 1

1. I'd Have You Anytime
2. My Sweet Lord
3. Wah-Wah
4. Beware of Darkness
5. Isn't It a Pity

SIDE 2
1. What Is Life
2. Apple Scruffs
3. Behind That Locked Door
4. Let It Down
5. Run of the Mill

KCzpiCP.jpg

Oz - (self-titled)
(John Lennon, Wayne 'Tex' Gabriel, Gary Van Scyoc, Alan White)
SIDE 1
1. Come Together
2. All Of The Good Times
3. Everybody Had A Hard Year
4. Yer Blues
5. Cold Turkey
6. Working Class Hero

SIDE 2
1. Instant Karma (We All Shine On)
2. I Found Out
3. Polythene Pam
4. Well Well Well
5. Do The Oz
6. I Want You

* Lennon makes a new band out of a handful of studio musicians he takes a shine to, naming them after an Underground zine he enjoys.​

Fascinating premise.. I know I'm getting a bit ahead of the updates here, but I always thought there was a great 'New Wave' Ono/Lennon/McCartney album that could be made from Yoko's Double Fantasy songs, and the more 'out there' tracks from McCartney 2.

In my 'timeline that never got written', Paul, Linda, John & Yoko record a bizarre album together secretly in 1980, as a low-key way to break the ice on the way to a Beatles reunion - even going as far to release it under the name "The Nurks".

Album releases 1970/1971

8Bhzehn.jpg

Oz - Wild Life
SIDE 1

1. Carry On
2. Feel Like I'm Going Down
3. Mommies Little Chauvinist
4. Mary Jane
5. My Love (Will Turn You On)
6. Peace of Mind (The Candle Burns)

SIDE 2
1. Live As One
2. Fight For Mickey Mouse
3. I Promise
4. Make Love Not War
5. Fortunately

*John, looking for a meaning in his now more aimless life, gets really into Aleister Crowley.

DkmLFJ1.jpg

George Harrison - Om Hari Om
SIDE 1

1. It Don't Come Easy
2. Mother Divine
3. All Things Shall Pass
4. Cosmic Empire
5. Dehra Dun
6. Everybody Nobody
7. Beautiful Girl

SIDE 2
1. Gopala Krishna
2. Art of Dying
3. I Live for You
4. Deep Blue
5. Nowhere to Go
6. Whenever

* George, already into something, fleshes out his religious side

5ssd1Cf.jpg

Paul McCartney - Paul McCartney Goes To Far
SIDE 1

1. Uncle Albert
2. Indeed I Do [feat. Yoko Ono]
3. Sunshine Sometime
4. Heart of the Country
5. Oh Woman, Oh Why

SIDE 2
1. Jazz Street
2. Little Woman Love
3. Hands Across The Water
4. A Love for You
5. When the Wind Is Blowing

* Paul too is already well into something, but nonetheless tries making a solo album.​

Last edited: