Valerian and Laureline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valérian:_Spatio-Temporal_Agent

V+L (in German known as Valerian and Veronique) is a French comic series about a couple of spatio-temporal agents in the service of the Galactic empire of the 28th century. In the books, they travel through space and time (f.e. to flooded New York in 1986; the flood in TTL was caused by some hydrogen bombs exploded at the North Pole) to fight esp. against temporal paradoxes (i.e. people who want to cause them).

My impression is very good: Interesting subject (even a bit of AH), good stories, pictures of high artistic value.

Actually, I think about whether I should buy them. Did anyone here read them? Hendryk?

Hendryk

Banned
Max Sinister said:
Did anyone here read them? Hendryk?
Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the graphic novel series. I was a fan back in my teenage years, though I personally consider that the concept (as well as the art itself) went downhill after "The Lightning of Hypsis" or whatever that album's called in English. I guess it was because the whole idea was based on that nuclear-triggered global warming in 1986, which caused a worldwide civilizational collapse out of which eventually emerged a new human civilization, the expansionist, time-controlling technocracy of Galaxity. Once we got to actually be in 1986 and the authors had their own characters change the timeline so the nuclear catastrophe didn't take place, there could no longer be a Galaxity; and Valerian and Laureline became mere space drifters.

Hendryk

Banned
In hindsight, another problem with the series is that the authors too often let the political points they're trying to make get in the way of storytelling. It can become ridiculous. The aforementioned album "Hypsis" has Valerian, Laureline and their ragtag sidekicks encounter three ASB-like entities who actually claim to be the Holy Trinity, except that God the Father looks like an overweight plainclothes cop, God the Son is a guitar-toting hippie (with nail holes in his palms) and God the Holy Spirit is a gambling machine. Personally, I didn't get it.

Hendryk said:
The aforementioned album "Hypsis" has Valerian, Laureline and their ragtag sidekicks encounter three ASB-like entities who actually claim to be the Holy Trinity, except that God the Father looks like an overweight plainclothes cop

They said he was supposed to look like Orson Welles. Not a good idea IMO, though.