US President term is for life?

This thought occurred to me a bit ago after a weird thought in the US pol chat...

But what would the effects have been if the term for President was for as long as the President shall live or wishes to hold the office? Eg that the way to leave is either via death or by resigning? With the idea perhaps being that the new President is then elected upon the death or resignation...

What sort of results might that have had? Could it have been better, or worse for the country, or would it vary from time period to time period? How might it have affected the growth of the nation?

If conceived as a lifetime office, excluding resignation or removal, then I expect the powers would be deliberately curtailed.
Something similar to the French semi-presidential system would probably arise.

SsgtC

Banned
If conceived as a lifetime office, excluding resignation or removal, then I expect the powers would be deliberately curtailed.
Something similar to the French semi-presidential system would probably arise.

Possible, but not necessarily. US Supreme Court judges are appointed for life and have significant powers. Not to mention that the Presidency had steadily accumulated power since it's inception. Originally, the President didn't have nearly as much power and authority as they do today

Possible, but not necessarily. US Supreme Court judges are appointed for life and have significant powers. Not to mention that the Presidency had steadily accumulated power since it's inception. Originally, the President didn't have nearly as much power and authority as they do today
So, possible that the accumulation is halted then? How does it impact the creation of the vp post?

I have always been under the impression that the executive's somewhat excessive powers are the result of a relatively recent (as in, 20th century) acceleration (or an entirely new) in the accumulation of power. Somewhat of a natural result of the do-nothingness of the legislative in the face of partisant political gridlock.

SsgtC

Banned
I have always been under the impression that the executive's somewhat excessive powers are the result of a relatively recent (as in, 20th century) acceleration (or an entirely new) in the accumulation of power. Somewhat of a natural result of the do-nothingness of the legislative in the face of partisant political gridlock.

I'd say it really started with Lincoln.

This thought occurred to me a bit ago after a weird thought in the US pol chat...

But what would the effects have been if the term for President was for as long as the President shall live or wishes to hold the office? Eg that the way to leave is either via death or by resigning? With the idea perhaps being that the new President is then elected upon the death or resignation...

What sort of results might that have had? Could it have been better, or worse for the country, or would it vary from time period to time period? How might it have affected the growth of the nation?
Consul for life

The US becomes a dictatorship.

Not necessarily. I had had the thought that as another counter to this, that perhaps impeachment could be conducted more easily, alongside more power being given to the Legislature and Courts over the Executive branch in such a case.

It also occurred to me that, over time, perhaps the Constitution could be amended to allow the people the ability to petition for a referendum on the President.

With George Washington, it wouldn't probably matter much- He died two years after he left the Presidency. Assuming in this case that John Adams was still elected next, his would be the first one to last longer, assuming the stress and other issues didn't bring him down earlier (he died in 1826)

Short of him resigning or congress removing him, it would butterfly Jefferson's presidency

So, possible that the accumulation is halted then? How does it impact the creation of the vp post?
Depends on when it starts. Would be interesting if it was back before the President and Vice-President were elected as a unit as Jefferson was the sort to secretely egg people on to violent revolution, but... Hmmm. Would be problems after Washington as then there is the issue of how to elect the new president. Took a while for our current system to be set up. I would also say that this would weaken the country as people die in office. Pope Benedict was right when he abdicated. Better to let a healthy, if still experienced, face lead the way. Otherwise you just work yourself into an early grave and don't get nearly as much work done.

Depends on when it starts. Would be interesting if it was back before the President and Vice-President were elected as a unit as Jefferson was the sort to secretely egg people on to violent revolution, but... Hmmm. Would be problems after Washington as then there is the issue of how to elect the new president. Took a while for our current system to be set up. I would also say that this would weaken the country as people die in office. Pope Benedict was right when he abdicated. Better to let a healthy, if still experienced, face lead the way. Otherwise you just work yourself into an early grave and don't get nearly as much work done.

I could see Washington making a precedent to do that. He could even end up resigning around the same time or close to it that he left office.

I actually think that this could be done with limited systemic changes at first, at least. It could devolve into chaos, but maybe not. Let's say that president serves for life, but upon his death or resignation, the Vice President is elevated to acting president until an election takes place in which he can stand to have his presidency confirmed by the masses unless they choose someone else. WE could have it work like the system before the Twelfth Amendment in which the second highest vote getter becomes the VP, or we could go with the post-twelfth system in which people run together as a ticket. If the VP slot is vacant, then elevate the next person in the line of succession (whoever that may be in the ATL) to acting president until the election in which they are free to stand for election to the presidency. If something like the post-twelfth system is used, then I'd imagine that there would be an amendment eventually allowing for the filling of a vice presidential vacancy.