Universal Color Palate

I beg to differ.
That's nearly the only world map that size that shows Jeju-do.

In the world map gallery of the blank map directory, on page 1 you can identify Tobago on Maps 4, 5, 6 (5 & 6 being one-pixel-white squares, admittedly), 7, 8, and 9. Jeju-do, by comparison, is only a few black pixels on 5 and 6, and appears in colorable form only in maps 7 and 8.

On Page 2 Tobago is visible in maps 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9, maybe 4 and 5 but both of those are rather confusing. Jeju-do, by comparison, appears only on maps 2 and 5, with two not even showing it large enough for a single white pixel.

Page 3 provides the only map-type that shows Jeju-jo with white pixels on the standard world map (maps 2 & 6), while Tobago is visible and editible on maps 3, 4, 6, and maybe that's it on map 10 but I'm uncertain.

Page 4 is the only page where a majority of the maps provide visible and editable versions of Jeju-do, as they are all variants of the same island-filled map. Tobago is still visible on the other three (maps 4, 5, and 10) maps.

I will admit that the island-filled variant on the standard world map has been common on the past five or so pages of Map Thread V, but the island-less variant that does not show Jeju-do is used just as often, and the vast majority of other blank world maps available are more likely to provide a visible and editible version of Tobago than J-d.

Then by that logic alone all of these countries should have colors.
Malaysia
Philippines
New Guinea
Yemen
Maldives
Federated States of Micronesia
Solomon Islands
Marshall Islands
Chile
Kiribati
Equatorial Guinea
Tanzania
Angola
Ecuador
Sao Tome and Principe
and many others

Doesn't South Africa have a color too?
it, like australia, was slated. but was dropped for a similar reason.

Then by that logic alone all of these countries should have colors.
Malaysia
Philippines
New Guinea
Yemen
Maldives
Federated States of Micronesia
Solomon Islands
Marshall Islands
Chile
Kiribati
Equatorial Guinea
Tanzania
Angola
Ecuador
Sao Tome and Principe
and many others
none of these states have ever been historically considered world powers and thus are not given colors. Chile would be close, but outside 1 occasion, it does not deserve an individual color

I know I don't post much (okay, I've posted twice) but I do keep up with many of the threads. So take my opinion with a grain of salt...but I think Mexico/Aztec Empire ought to have a color. There was a purplish hue back in one of the older versions of the UCS.

The Aztec Empire was a historical major power, and while Mexico itself may or may not fall under some of the considerations listed, its close proximity to the US means its borders are changed frequently in AH maps.

I know I don't post much (okay, I've posted twice) but I do keep up with many of the threads. So take my opinion with a grain of salt...but I think Mexico/Aztec Empire ought to have a color. There was a purplish hue back in one of the older versions of the UCS.

The Aztec Empire was a historical major power, and while Mexico itself may or may not fall under some of the considerations listed, its close proximity to the US means its borders are changed frequently in AH maps.

AH is not our concern here. They can make their own schemes.

Well, times change, and with it, the uses of colour schemes for maps. :p
Plus, it makes it easier for others to know exactly what country it's supposed to be. A random colour could mean...who knows what.

Yeah its not like there is any way of adding labels to a map.

none of these states have ever been historically considered world powers and thus are not given colors. Chile would be close, but outside 1 occasion, it does not deserve an individual color
As opposed to mighty Korea, the mere utterance of its name being enough to send Bismarck into fainting spells?

As opposed to mighty Korea, the mere utterance of its name being enough to send Bismarck into fainting spells?

1. Korea has a distinct culture.
  2. Korea has the second largest Hentai Production rate in the world.
  3. Korea has had a Civil War
  4. Korea is Modern
  5. Korea has NBC weapons
  6. Korea is the second largest producer of Walmart products

4. Korea is Modern
  5. Korea has NBC weapons

But as a world power, Korea is not.

Part of the problem with Mexico's old color (that I've found when I use it at least) is that it's a lighter shade of Austria's Imperial Purple. Thats all well and good if Mexico is under Maximilian and he's more pro-Austria the France, but in general it make it look like Mexico so some kind of Habsburg puppet, even when it isn't.

4. Korea is Modern
  5. Korea has NBC weapons
Iraq has a distinct culture, has had a civil war (or sectarian violence very close to it, is modern, and has used NBC weapons in the past.

Heck, Argentina used at least tear gas during the Falklands crisis, has had political coups and conflicts that could arguably be considered minor civil wars, is modern, etc.

Hapsburg

Banned
Iraq has a distinct culture, has had a civil war (or sectarian violence very close to it, is modern, and has used NBC weapons in the past.

Heck, Argentina used at least tear gas during the Falklands crisis, has had political coups and conflicts that could arguably be considered minor civil wars, is modern, etc.

Yeah, but they aren't the second-largest producers of hentai, now, are they? :p

PS) and, IIRC, Iraq has a colour already. You just re-use Babylon's.

But as a world power, Korea is not.[/QUOTEC they were the first to use rockets in battle

Yeah, but they aren't the second-largest producers of hentai, now, are they? :p

PS) and, IIRC, Iraq has a colour already. You just re-use Babylon's.
what he said

they were the first to use rockets in battle
That's grasping for straws and you know it. For every 'first' you could name for Korea, it's probably fairly easy work listing off ones for Argentina, Malaysia, Ecuador, Philippines, Tanzania, Chile, Angola, &c.

Getting a 'first' is not a good qualifier for receiving a special map color.
what he said
Iraq and Argentina are two countries being brought forward as examples of how many other countries there are that would fit your initial list of qualifications.

Do we really want to go through each and every country that fits the initial qualifications you listed and find excuses for each and every country, or do we want to say that not that many unique colors are necessary for the UCS because there's so many colors on the suggested list that memorization of them all will be very difficult and likely require regular repostings of the UCS key and text reminders ('Remember, lime green is Ethiopia!'), which would defeat the purpose of the UCS in the first place?

what`s about this:

2 (090803).PNG

That's grasping for straws and you know it. For every 'first' you could name for Korea, it's probably fairly easy work listing off ones for Argentina, Malaysia, Ecuador, Philippines, Tanzania, Chile, Angola, &c.

Getting a 'first' is not a good qualifier for receiving a special map color.

Iraq and Argentina are two countries being brought forward as examples of how many other countries there are that would fit your initial list of qualifications.

Do we really want to go through each and every country that fits the initial qualifications you listed and find excuses for each and every country, or do we want to say that not that many unique colors are necessary for the UCS because there's so many colors on the suggested list that memorization of them all will be very difficult and likely require regular repostings of the UCS key and text reminders ('Remember, lime green is Ethiopia!'), which would defeat the purpose of the UCS in the first place?
good point.. but i stand by what i have added.

what`s about this:
NEIN!!! HALT!!!! HAMMERZEIT!!

what`s about this:
1. Scotland and Ireland sharing the same color? That's going to be awfully confusing.

2. Byzantium sharing the same color as Serbia? Sharing a color means an implicit recognition of one state being a successor/progenitor of another, and Greece has just as fair a claim as Serbia does.

3. Turks and Turkey have separate colors? That would be way too confusing for most people.

4. The Race and Spain's colors are very, uncomfortably similar to each other. Lizards' have got an ever-so-slightly more green shade, yes, but the change is very slight and likely hard to detect if they're right next to each other (with, say, a Lizard-puppet Spain, for example).

4. See my argument above about excess amounts of state colors. Adding too many unique colors is detrimental to the purpose of the UCS.

I´ve seen that palette here some months before, and I copied it.
I just added / changed the colors for:

- Wallachia/Roumania
- Dixi
- Luxembourg
- Bohemia/ Czechia

My fault, I didn`t change the colors for Byzantinum (or better: add Byzantium for Greek color) or add an own color for Scotland. sry. :eek:

I´ve seen that palette here some months before, and I copied it.
I just added / changed the colors for:

- Wallachia/Roumania
- Dixi
- Luxembourg
- Bohemia/ Czechia

My fault, I didn`t change the colors for Byzantinum (or better: add Byzantium for Greek color) or add an own color for Scotland. sry. :eek:
Eh, the Confederate States is fair enough-- everybody uses nearly the same shade of grey anyways, so that's easy enough to swallow.

I didn't mean to bite your head off. If I'm starting to sound way too aggressive, just say so. :eek: