UCS Map Thread Proposal

Hungary should have a color, since it controlled Croatia as a seperate entity for most of its existance, from 1200 until Versailles (Though it can have Austria's color after the Habsburgs inherit it). It was also in personal union with Bohemia for most of the Renaissance.

i gave Hungary a color but it was kicked... also the CSA but i don't think it really needs one... though many maps ive seen show the CSA as a major superpower

use my Finland Color... or Iceland... or Greenland? and then outline it around the country... or if using Susanoism... that would be the inside of the country?
im still a little confused on how Susanoism and Thandeism work... perticularly in that respect

Thailand, Ethiopia, Zanzibar: No, No, No.

Hungary? No.

TOLTECS? No.

Brazil? Mali? No, No.

Central America? WTF? No!

Egad, people, what?! Do we want to be in the position where we're debating over freaking SWITZERLAND? No! We need to draw a line, people! Dammit, where's Thande when you need him?

Note: "It's a superpower in many TLs" is not relevant to a colour proposal. This is the OTL UCS. Modifications of the UCS for your own needs are allowed and encouraged, but trying to modify the original UCS because of your Superpower Andorra TL is just not on.

BLASPHEMY!!! :mad::mad::mad: :p

:eek: Throw out the USC? Is that even legal? :D
It is my formal, and undieing opinion that the USC is nice for reference and should be used for AH.com OTL maps, however when making a map of your own idea you should use your own color scheme, based on your own criterion. You are capable of being orginal! The. UCS. IS. Boring!

I mean what color should I use for the CP, and Allies. It certainly doesn't tell me!

Thailand, Ethiopia, Zanzibar: No, No, No.
the Khmer empire ruled in southeast Asia at its peak circa 1200 AD. it traded heavily with Java and then Majapahit (which i was against putting into the UCS). and as Siam, it was able to politically manouver the british and French to keep itself independent.

the Axumite Empire ruled in present day Ethiopia from approximately 400 BC until around 1200 AD... it was a major political entity and naval trading power. it was also the first major empire to convert to Christianity and was able to remain in power for a long period of time. as Ethiopia, it was also able to manouver the Empires of Europe into retaining its independence. not to mention that it is probably one of the strongest countries in Africa to date. i believe that this merits a color.

Zanzibar... no. i agree there. IIRC it was a protectorate of Oman right?

Hungary? No.

Hungary should. i've stated my reasons before and i stand by them.

TOLTECS? No.

never wanted to give them thier own color.

Brazil? Mali? No, No.

Brazil is the strongest country in South America. it is a minor player on the world stage today. it deserves to retain its color.

Mali/Ghana/Songhai Empires ruled over much of West Africa from the 700's until the 1600's. as Mali, it was the first major empire outside of the Middle East to adopt Islam. it had the most modern military in Africa during its height and extended across many present day African Countries.

Central America? WTF? No!

on its own... it does not deserve a color. the Maya civilization does. and during the transition periods i mentioned earlier, Central America would gain this color. its capital was in Guatemala for most of its existance. Guatemala would inherit the Mayan color and as a result Central America would gain this color as well.

Egad, people, what?! Do we want to be in the position where we're debating over freaking SWITZERLAND? No! We need to draw a line, people! Dammit, where's Thande when you need him?

Thande created colors for several nations on his own. and he did it for a reason. even if they are dropped after their period of use, at least honor what he created and allow his colors to stand for the countries that he deemed important enough to warrant a color to in the first place.

Note: "It's a superpower in many TLs" is not relevant to a colour proposal. This is the OTL UCS. Modifications of the UCS for your own needs are allowed and encouraged, but trying to modify the original UCS because of your Superpower Andorra TL is just not on.

this i agree on.

It is my formal, and undieing opinion that the USC is nice for reference and should be used for AH.com OTL maps, however when making a map of your own idea you should use your own color scheme, based on your own criterion. You are capable of being orginal! The. UCS. IS. Boring!

I mean what color should I use for the CP, and Allies. It certainly doesn't tell me!
then you need to be original on your own. give the allies an outline color, probably that of the EU or what have you. then you can give the CP their own color... possibly that 75% gray used for Nazi Germany... or the 25% Gray used for the Holy Roman Empire...

Every country in the world should get its own color! After all if you use photoshop you have 16 million to chose from!
no... no no no. every country does not warrant its own color. if it was significant enough in its own right to gain some power and influence, can hold that power for a period of time, and can still be influential to other countries, it deserves a color. Aragon deserved a color. Morocco deserved a color. and they got them. Sealand DOES NOT deserve a color... neither does Luxembourg, or Afghanistan, or Equador.

The UCS doesn't need more colors. It already has a few more than necessary. Countries get colors for being of major historical significance/having overseas possesions. Merely having an "empire" isn't enough to merit a color; the country in question needs to have a wideranging effect on the world. This is why China gets a color, while the Khmer empire does not.

The other issue is continuity. Many of the proposed states were only relevant during certain time periods. There's nothing more jarring than looking at a map of the 1950s and seeing Ethiopia with a color. What is it there for? Why is it important? While colors make a map look nice, too many defeat the entire purpose of using a color key: to allow people to easily see major players on the world stage and those countries with overseas empires.

If you're making on OTL map of medieval southeast Asia, by all means use a specific color for the countries you think are necessary. But the point of the UCS is to be useful to the greatest amount of people, and that can't be accomplished if we insist of cluttering it up and making it more and more specific.

i am saddened... i now feel as though i must create my own Color scheme... create my own rules...

i must bid farewell to the UCS... for it has been ruined for me.

then you need to be original on your own. give the allies an outline color, probably that of the EU or what have you. then you can give the CP their own color... possibly that 75% gray used for Nazi Germany... or the 25% Gray used for the Holy Roman Empire...

no... no no no. every country does not warrant its own color. if it was significant enough in its own right to gain some power and influence, can hold that power for a period of time, and can still be influential to other countries, it deserves a color. Aragon deserved a color. Morocco deserved a color. and they got them. Sealand DOES NOT deserve a color... neither does Luxembourg, or Afghanistan, or Equador.
You failed to recognise the sarcasim in the last one, and the CP one! I do use unorginal color schemes, but they're all stolen from 1950s maps!

The UCS doesn't need more colors. It already has a few more than necessary. Countries get colors for being of major historical significance/having overseas possesions. Merely having an "empire" isn't enough to merit a color; the country in question needs to have a wideranging effect on the world. This is why China gets a color, while the Khmer empire does not.

The other issue is continuity. Many of the proposed states were only relevant during certain time periods. There's nothing more jarring than looking at a map of the 1950s and seeing Ethiopia with a color. What is it there for? Why is it important? While colors make a map look nice, too many defeat the entire purpose of using a color key: to allow people to easily see major players on the world stage and those countries with overseas empires.

If you're making on OTL map of medieval southeast Asia, by all means use a specific color for the countries you think are necessary. But the point of the UCS is to be useful to the greatest amount of people, and that can't be accomplished if we insist of cluttering it up and making it more and more specific.

Nek's Proposal for Adding Colours to the Holy and Divine United/Unified Colo(u)r Scheme:

1. Thy desired nation shall possess several pixels of colonies outside of the largest continuous block of territory, OR:
  2. Thy desired nation shall have effective control (to warrant puppetry), or personal union with a state not possessing its own colour.
  3. All nations that do not satisfactorily comply with these goals shall be deemed un-UCSworthy.
Nekropher R. O'Mans Esq.

Nek's Proposal for Adding Colours to the Holy and Divine United/Unified Colo(u)r Scheme:

1. Thy desired nation shall possess several pixels of colonies outside of the largest continuous block of territory, OR:
  2. Thy desired nation shall have effective control (to warrant puppetry), or personal union with a state not possessing its own colour.
  3. All nations that do not satisfactorily comply with these goals shall be deemed un-UCSworthy.
Nekropher R. O'Mans Esq.

Those seem like good guidelines for colo(u)r-worthiness.

Those seem like good guidelines for colo(u)r-worthiness.

...And on those grounds, I feel that Lucca's secret world empire earns it a colour! The empire consists of exactly one third of those fiddly island nations, never remaining the same third from one map to the next.