U.S. election primaries

So, here's the question, every election has a winning party and a loosing party (or in some cases two or even three loosing parties). So, election by election, what canidate SHOULD the loosing party have run with to give them a chance to win?

How about starting with 1920. After Wilson, who could the Dems nominate who would have a prayer of keeping the White House?

reformer said:
So, here's the question, every election has a winning party and a loosing party (or in some cases two or even three loosing parties). So, election by election, what canidate SHOULD the loosing party have run with to give them a chance to win?

How about starting with 1920. After Wilson, who could the Dems nominate who would have a prayer of keeping the White House?
Someone whom is prohibtionist and anti-League of Nations. Profarmers prehaps? Lemke, Sr. might do it.

Bassically going for a more Bryanish stance on things then. A big progressive might do the trick, taking away lots of votes from the Republicans.

Alternatives to primaries?

Not strictly OT, but related: WI primaries were abolished and voters chose their candidates at the general election? This means that Democrats won't be able to vote at Republican primaries and vice-versa. One way to do this is to use open-list PR for one seat, i.e. if you vote for say McCain you also vote for the Republican party as a whole, and if Republicans get the most votes, then the Republican with the most votes wins the election.

Interresting idea, but there's a problem. The party leaders, in any American time period, would not allow such a law. It simply could never happen.

chrispi said:
Not strictly OT, but related: WI primaries were abolished and voters chose their candidates at the general election? This means that Democrats won't be able to vote at Republican primaries and vice-versa. One way to do this is to use open-list PR for one seat, i.e. if you vote for say McCain you also vote for the Republican party as a whole, and if Republicans get the most votes, then the Republican with the most votes wins the election.

Too many independents like myself. I don't want to tie myself to either party and would be upset at the politicians who passed the law.

Brilliantlight said:
Too many independents like myself. I don't want to tie myself to either party and would be upset at the politicians who passed the law.
But you're an independent, therefore you, by definition, do not vote in primaries and thus in the eyes of politicians do not matter anyway... :rolleyes:

chrispi said:
But you're an independent, therefore you, by definition, do not vote in primaries and thus in the eyes of politicians do not matter anyway... :rolleyes:

Actually, I do. If the Republicans have more interesting candidates that year I say I am a Republican and vice versa if the Democrats have the more interesting candidates.

My guess is that this would make third parties with one canidate stronger in the US. Again though, this could never happen, there are no logical times or PODs for this law.