Two Crimean War Goal Plans (Russia, Allies)

Came across these in an old version of a book, I believe it was called the Cambridge book on World History; had been looking for stuff on the War of 1812 at the time, but for whatever reason they were not present, likely left out given the Napoleonic Wars.

First, the Russian goals. Nicholas had before the war hoped to come to something of an accommodation with Great Britain, seeking to get an acquiesce in regards to their impending invasion of the Ottoman Empire. Despite rather grand offers, the British didn't bite, fearing that Russia would grow too much in power and alter the careful balance that had been maintained in Europe. As Nicolas envisioned it:

• Moldavia, Wallachia, and Northern Bulgaria would be annexed directly into the Russian Empire.
  • Southern Bulgaria and Serbia would be declared as Independent states under Russian protection.
  • Austria would gain Bosnia and Montenegro; possibly Albania.
  • The United Kingdom would gain Egypt, Cyprus, and the Dodecanese (Rhodes).
  • France would gain the isle of Crete.
  • Greece would gain the remaining Aegean isles.
  • Constainople would be made a Free City, with a Russian garrison on the Bosphorus, and an Austrian garrison on the Dardenelles.
How would this have effected global politics if enacted as Nicolas intended?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two, the peace goals of the Allies, specifically the United Kingdom, as they were not enacted.

• The entirety of Bessarabia was originally to be transferred to either Turkey or Moldavia, to give the Ottomans a more defensible position against any future Russian incursion. However, the Russians were favored here and able to minimize their loses to something that was largely symbolic, and of no real worth.
  • The British wanted not only the Black Sea Neutralized, but the Azoz Sea as well, given it threatened their interests in Iran, and would allow British influence to creep further North.
  • The British wanted Russian Shipyards, specifically those in Nicolaieff, completely dismantled. The reasoning is clear, but I am not actually sure what these shipyards even are. :eek:
  • One of the biggest surprises I saw was that the British were really pushing for the establishment of a Circassian State, under British and Ottoman protection, which would act as yet another buffer against Russian intentions. This was actually on the verge of happening, but the French ended the war too early before the main advance into the Caucasus took off.
  • Both the British and the French initially sought and Independent Poland, though it was more of a threat to earn peace than an actual goal. In reality they at best wanted a more autonomous Polish Administration within Russia, and continued to weaken on this issue until they abandoned it in its entirety.
  • The British wanted a Free Trade policy of some sort enacted in the Mediterranean, I believe throughout most of Europe actually, but it never took off.
  • The Sardinians were initially promised Parma and Modena, whose rulers would replace those of Wallachia and Moldavia. This was supported by the Austrians, which came as a shock given those states were in a sense Austrian puppets. At some point the plan fell apart, I don't have the reasoning in my notes.
I'll just leave this to general discussion. :)

Razgriz 2K9

Banned

Two, the peace goals of the Allies, specifically the United Kingdom, as they were not enacted.

• The entirety of Bessarabia was originally to be transferred to either Turkey or Moldavia, to give the Ottomans a more defensible position against any future Russian incursion. However, the Russians were favored here and able to minimize their loses to something that was largely symbolic, and of no real worth.
  • The British wanted not only the Black Sea Neutralized, but the Azoz Sea as well, given it threatened their interests in Iran, and would allow British influence to creep further North.
  • The British wanted Russian Shipyards, specifically those in Nicolaieff, completely dismantled. The reasoning is clear, but I am not actually sure what these shipyards even are. :eek:
  • One of the biggest surprises I saw was that the British were really pushing for the establishment of a Circassian State, under British and Ottoman protection, which would act as yet another buffer against Russian intentions. This was actually on the verge of happening, but the French ended the war too early before the main advance into the Caucasus took off.
  • Both the British and the French initially sought and Independent Poland, though it was more of a threat to earn peace than an actual goal. In reality they at best wanted a more autonomous Polish Administration within Russia, and continued to weaken on this issue until they abandoned it in its entirety.
  • The British wanted a Free Trade policy of some sort enacted in the Mediterranean, I believe throughout most of Europe actually, but it never took off.
  • The Sardinians were initially promised Parma and Modena, whose rulers would replace those of Wallachia and Moldavia. This was supported by the Austrians, which came as a shock given those states were in a sense Austrian puppets. At some point the plan fell apart, I don't have the reasoning in my notes.
I'll just leave this to general discussion. :)

None of these policies went through because the Russians were not totally defeated. While the war was aimed against Russia, it was for the purpose of defending the Ottomans, not destroying the Russian Empire.

Still, I'm curious, what book exactly did you get this from?

None of these policies went through because the Russians were not totally defeated. While the war was aimed against Russia, it was for the purpose of defending the Ottomans, not destroying the Russian Empire.

Still, I'm curious, what book exactly did you get this from?
That's the thing though, the Russians were on their way to what would amount to be a total defeat, but France did not wish to permanently fracture his relationship with Russia, and so forced a peace on terms more amiable to the Russians. If Napoleon the III had not been so bent on that objective, I imagine the war would be longer, and the peace far harsher.

As to the book, I'll look for it tomorrow. As I said, I think it was a Cambridge Series on World History, not sure as to the version, given there were at least two sets present.