Turtledove Fans

Part of the problem with TD books into movies is setting the scene.
Most of his books speak to an alternate 'universe'
The action is not the only part of the book.
There is a great deal of background included that helps explain the prior years and the standards of behavior that are appropriate for example.

(That's the same reason I hate the Stephen King books into movies. A single event that lasts only a few minutes in real time can be explained in great detail and doesn't not translate to the screen)

Also, few books lend themselves to a 2 hour format.
They would make great mini-series - or a program like HBO would do (an hour long format - movie quality production, and long term committment)

Grimm Reaper said:
UNLEASH THE FLYING BRAINS!!! WITH PUBLIC SCHOOL BRITISH ACCENTS!!!
"Dewey, you fool! Your decimal system has played right into my hands!"

On a more serious note, I think that In the Presence of Mine Enemies could work as a movie or miniseries. While it is not Turtledove's best work, I think that it could be nicely marketed to the illiterati. After all, it has Jews helping bring freedom to the Nazis.

In The Presence of Mine Enemies, in my opinion, would probably be the best choice over all for a full-length film. The Guns of the South is a very close second, and would probably do better as a three-part [or so] miniseries [I would imagine that it would do very, very well in the ratings in the Deep South] made by Sci-Fi Channel or someone like them.

All in all, I would really love to see a good Settling Accounts movie. It would be more exciting to watch than The Great War [C'mon, tank battles or trench warfare?] but I don't know quite how well the whole black Holocaust would go over with the African community. I'm sure Al Sharpton would blast the movie from every rooftop. :rolleyes: And besides, I wouldn't watch it unless Billy Bob Thorton played Jake Featherston anyway. :D