Turkish *Fascism

Oweno

Banned
In response to the other Threads, how come the Turks didnt want to recreate the Ottoman Empire. Describe your Opinions on what would Turkish Fascism be like?

Keenir

Banned
In response to the other Threads, how come the Turks didnt want to recreate the Ottoman Empire.

1. they were busy keeping the Greeks from conquering the butchering everyone.
  2. they'd just lost 2/3rds of the Empire in a bloody war.
  3. everyone was secceeding right and left.
  4. highwaymen and brigands everywhere in the country.
Describe your Opinions on what would Turkish Fascism be like?

anti-immigration (refusing immigrants from Russia and Central Asia)

hugely statist (more-so than OTL could ever be)

fiercely protective of its people (like OTL), even against the Nazi Empire.

In response to the other Threads, how come the Turks didnt want to recreate the Ottoman Empire. Describe your Opinions on what would Turkish Fascism be like?

Not too hard to imagine - Turkey in OTL has been fascist since 1923 until recently. It's basically a kinder, gentler fascism, but just imagine Kemalism dialed up a few notches and you've got it. It would be more isolationist and xenophobic.

The reason Turkey is not interested in recreating the Ottoman Empire is because it is fundamentally an ethnic-nationalist state and the Ottoman Empire was a universalist state. These are irreconcilable concepts.

With the recent death throes of Kemalism and the revival of Ottoman/Turkish culture, the whole nature of the state is being called into question, but I don't think that the territorial revival of the Ottoman Empire will ever even cross anyone's mind. More likely the ethnic elements of the state ideology that have developed with be deemphasized and the Islamic/Ottoman roots of the culture revitalized, which should be good news for the Kurds.

Not too hard to imagine - Turkey in OTL has been fascist since 1923 until recently. It's basically a kinder, gentler fascism, but just imagine Kemalism dialed up a few notches and you've got it. It would be more isolationist and xenophobic.

Let me assume - Inonu instead of Ataturk as the first Turkish President. Inonu alone scares me.

Let me assume - Inonu instead of Ataturk as the first Turkish President. Inonu alone scares me.

I don't think he was more dictatorially inclined than Ataturk - probably less so. He was an extremely able diplomat and military commander, but lacked his predecessor's charisma. He's sort of the Hillary to Ataturk's Obama. I wonder how many Turkish nationalists will bomb my apartment for that sentence.

I don't think he was more dictatorially inclined than Ataturk - probably less so. He was an extremely able diplomat and military commander, but lacked his predecessor's charisma. He's sort of the Hillary to Ataturk's Obama. I wonder how many Turkish nationalists will bomb my apartment for that sentence.

Well, at least there won't be any Serb nationalists doing that to your apartment. (Remember that the Turkish Embassy was attacked alongside the US embassy because of that Kosovo brouhaha - is it a coincidence?)

So, how could Inonu be more, to use your words, "dictatorially inclined"?

Keenir

Banned
Well, at least there won't be any Serb nationalists doing that to your apartment. (Remember that the Turkish Embassy was attacked alongside the US embassy because of that Kosovo brouhaha - is it a coincidence?)

not be Inonu.
:D;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_wolves

True, these guys are closer to Lebanese Phalangists or Mussolini-style fascism, and they're a product of the 50's and 60's, but if the political violence of the 1970's and 80's had spiraled even more out of control than OTL, these guys could have had a real shot at taking power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_wolves

True, these guys are closer to Lebanese Phalangists or Mussolini-style fascism, and they're a product of the 50's and 60's, but if the political violence of the 1970's and 80's had spiraled even more out of control than OTL, these guys could have had a real shot at taking power.

I would have to disagree. They are viewed by almost all Turks as terrorists and a terrible embarrassment to Turkey.

Actually Dan, I think I'm going to change my answer. Turkey WAS a fascist state. In fact, Ataturk even adopted Mussolini's criminal code.

The only way Turkey was different than, say, Germany, was that the Germans were unfortunate and got a madman as leader, whereas the Turks were lucky and got fairly responsible totalitarian fascist leaders.

Actually Dan, I think I'm going to change my answer. Turkey WAS a fascist state. In fact, Ataturk even adopted Mussolini's criminal code.

Hmm, would Turkey have been different if Ataturk adopted, say, a different criminal code? Remember that the civil code is Swiss in origin.

Abdul Hadi Pasha said:
The only way Turkey was different than, say, Germany, was that the Germans were unfortunate and got a madman as leader, whereas the Turks were lucky and got fairly responsible totalitarian fascist leaders.

True. The same could be said for Mexico under the PRI.

Inonu still creeps me out, though.

Keenir

Banned
Hmm, would Turkey have been different if Ataturk adopted, say, a different criminal code? Remember that the civil code is Swiss in origin.

drat, you beat me to saying that.

which criminal code would you have selected? bear in mind you have to use it to punish brigands, highwaymen, thieves, traitors, and spies, as well as common criminals.

Inonu still creeps me out, though.

how so?

drat, you beat me to saying that.

which criminal code would you have selected? bear in mind you have to use it to punish brigands, highwaymen, thieves, traitors, and spies, as well as common criminals.

Either English common law (Scots law could also work in tandem) or the Napoleonic Code, but that's because, Europe-wise, I'm partial to Britain and France.

I would have to disagree. They are viewed by almost all Turks as terrorists and a terrible embarrassment to Turkey.

While that is true of the Grey Wolves themselves, the pan-turkist MHP could certainly be dragged to the right by, say, a 1980 coup which is more explicitly partisan. Say groups like DevSol start forming real, effective leftist armies, the army cracks down, and Evren and his crew ban everybody to the left of Suleyman Demirel from politics. Martial law is phased out but never really goes away, and Turkey resembles francoist spain at it's worst by the mid 80's.