Trying to Please Everyone: Or Converting multiple Pop Culture Utopias into a Timeline.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy(1977-2001)
"Alright I'm almost done with Star Trek: Phase II, now I just need to...wait a minute...."

(Checks Page Number)....42.

42?...42?....Why do I feel like that number means something...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Douglas_adams_portrait_cropped.jpg

Douglas Adams was working for the BBC and creating comedy sketches. Adams was asked to pitch a radio sitcom to premiere in 1977. Originally it was meant to be a more common sitcom but when someone proposed giving it a science fiction twist, Adams realized he'd been waiting for the idea. He'd worked on Doctor Who. The Idea was called "Ends of the Earth" and would have the Earth being destroyed differently in every episode. Adams realized he needed a character who knew the earth was going to be destroyed and remembered an idea he had while lying drunk in a field in Austria. He came up with the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy, an idea that was in his head since a trip to Greece in 1973.

1992.jpg

Ford Prefect and Aleric B.

Adams conceived of the human character of Aleric B. intentionally given the human character an alien sounding name, and paired him up with an actual alien named Ford Prefect, who had mistakenly thought cars were the dominant lifeform on earth when he arrived and took on his name as a result. Ford Prefect has befriended Aleric and rescues him before Earth is destroyed. Aleric is usually shortened to "Al" or "Al B." The Program was recorded in stereo. Adams had several scripts for Doctor Who greenlit and would attempt to balance his work on both before passing it on to the producers. Adams had written the parts of Aleric and Ford wit actors Simon Jone and Geoffrey McGivern in mind and they were cast(cast is same as OTL).

The Series was adapted into a television series, receive novel adaptations, a Text adventure game and also a film. Its success could be attributed to right place, right time as 1977 would also see the release of Star Trek: Phase II, the miniseries sequel to Star Trek, and Star Wars. Adams would have a hand in all adaptations. Adams had a unique approach to adaptations and was perfectly fine with altering the story to fit into a new medium rather than remaining faithful. He even wrote the novels and episodes of the TV Series himself. A Problem arose when Adams planned to use of the Krikketman, which he'd created for Doctor Who, while he was legally allowed to use them, his story had to be rewritten since the plot he had in mind was too similar and the idea was mostly cut. Instead, Adams, wrote the third book(after The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Restaurant at the End of the Universe), to be "So long and thanks for All the Fish" in which Aleric and Ford are rescued by Zaphod and Trillian and transported into the future, expecitng to find no Earth after it was destroyed in 1977, but to their surprise, they are instead on an intact Earth where there shouldn't have been one. The Dolphins have all disappeared and left behind the message that forms the book's title. Aleric at one point throws himself off a cliff to cause a near death experience, his life flashing before his eyes and seeing how all the events in the last three books come together. He also meets a man with the skill to break open oysters and a talking Brockian Ultra-Walrus with an embarassing past. The plot become about stopping the Vogons from destroying the Earth again once they realize it's still there. The Vogons therefore become the villains of the next book Mostly Harmless, which has the darkest ending of the series where Earth appears to be destroyed while everyone is on it.

That depressing note would have been where the series ended had Adams not had second thoughts. He realized fairly quickly while writing the Dirk gently book The Salmon of Doubt that elements of it worked better as a Hitchhiker's story(OTL he realized this but much later, sadly he did not have enough time to complete either before his death). Adams was also scared by the discovery that he had Coronary Artery disease and was getting treatment, fearing he would die before completing Hitchhiker's as he wanted. Thus, the series received a 5th and Final Book, becoming "A Trilogy of Five" as Adams put it, with the release of Don't Panic, where it is revealed the Earth was not destroyed but teleported away, leading to a multiversal adventure that sees the final defeat of the Vogons and a happy ending for the characters, complete with Aleric's house still being there, a cup of tea, and the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything being revealed(to the characters, not the readers).

All five Books would be adapted in the forms of Radio and Television. For Radio, the time is took to release all five books was not a problem as sound alikes could be found, for television this proved to be more complicated due to the actors clearly aging, even if they did agree to come back or were replaced. Then in 1982, Adams negotiated the film rights with Ivan Reitman. While he was occupied with Dan Ackroyd for the idea that would become Ghostbusters, he did suggest Bill Murray in the role of Ford Prefect(OTL Billy Murray,Dan Ackroyd and Reitman were all pulled away for Ghostbusters, resulting in a film adaptation of Hitchhiker's being delayed until 2001. ITTL Ghostbusters features a still alive John Belushi, meaning Murray is free). The film was directed by Mel Brooks, who was interested in doing a Sci Fi parody at the time though more of Star Wars and would at a later time. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was released in 1984 and is a largely self contained film with the Vogons as the antagonists and elements from all parts of the series, giving the film an ending which sees Earth restored by the Planet builders of Magrathea and the Vogons defeated. Brooks and Adams felt that it should stand on its own and turning it into a series would turn it into "The very thing it was parodying". Brooks was reluctant to commit to a sequel if one came. Reitman on the other hand offered to direct as Commitments by the cast of Ghostbusters(namely Eddie Murphy), meant a sequel to that film would be delayed.​

What about Geekis Khan’s A Hippie in the House of Mouse?
If you're asking about Star Trek specifically I am going to reveal how different that series is. If you mean what ideas would translate from that timeline over I'd say most of them are different enough. The closest so far is Friday the 13th. Jim Henson will be a presence at Disney but Walt Disney himself would still be alive.

If you're asking about Star Trek specifically I am going to reveal how different that series is. If you mean what ideas would translate from that timeline over I'd say most of them are different enough. The closest so far is Friday the 13th. Jim Henson will be a presence at Disney but Walt Disney himself would still be alive.
Good stuff.

Could you make Vince McMahon as famous as Trump?
I could, but I was thinking of making him far more infamous. Less dominance of Wrestling would lead to things like Wrestlers getting better healthcare they don't get under McMahon. Plus the Montreal Screwjob is already on the list to be butterflied away.

I could, but I was thinking of making him far more infamous. Less dominance of Wrestling would lead to things like Wrestlers getting better healthcare they don't get under McMahon. Plus the Montreal Screwjob is already on the list to be butterflied away.
Huh. Trump vs McMahon becomes face vs heel?

Star Trek: Phase II(1977)
Phase2-enterprise-2.png

Star Trek: Phase II
It had been ten years since the premiere of Star Trek, and six years since it had ended. The franchise was kept alive. by the fans and their conventions, by what they created, and in the Gold Key Comics. Gold Key was an independent Comic Company outside of the big two of Marvel and DC, both of which were trying to buy Gold Key for the Star Trek license. Being smaller Gold Key's quality was less than the two giants of the industry, which frequently fought to obtain it. They were also limited from telling continuations of the series by Gene Roddenberry's mandate. eventually it was decided to create a new series. The format of a miniseries came about after the success of Roots.

The announcement was made at a Star Trek convention in 1977 and blew everyone's mind. The series was still going strong in syndication. Gene Roddenberry had moved on to The Questor Tapes, but still had input, which continued to be ignored by the producers.Producer Gene L.Coon had passed away and the miniseries was dedicated to his memory. Getting back the cast was as easy as paying them more money. Nimoy, while reluctant was offered the chance to direct several episodes, which was a passion for him, and accepted. George Takei was on the Los Angeles City Council, but in universe he commanded his own ship, the Excelsior and so was given a justified reason for his reduced scenes, shooting them all on the bridge of the ship and then briefly together with the crew.

Enterprise-refit-model-1.jpg

Now the question was what would this new series be about? 8 episodes would be the determined amount of episodes. Pitched episodes included "The Naked Time" which involved aliens using a planet as a garbage dump. Harlan Ellison wrote an episode about a reptillian race threatening to use time travel to erase humanity, with the Enterprise travelling back in time and the moral quandary of if it is right to destroy one race to save another. Then came Robert Silverberg's "Billion Year Voyage" in which the Enterprise was guided by a mysterious future race. These ideas would be combined.

Persis-Khambatta.jpg

Persis Khambatta as Ilia

The Miniseries is date to take place in 2176, with the original series being dated as taking place from 2166 to 2171. A Mysterious planet has appeared in the middle of Klingon, Romulan and Federation territory. All three send ambassadors to the location. Spock learns that the President of the Federation(played by John F.Kennedy), is resigning to be replaced by Spock's father Sarek, which would offer the position of ambassador of Vulcan to Spock. This means he will soon give up his position as Captain of the Enterprise. Some familiar faces have joined Spock on the new Enterprise along with some new ones. The female Vulcan M'benga was included along with the newcomers of Commander Will Decker, son of Commodore Matt Decker killed in the episode "The Doomsday Machine" and the psychic Ilia. The first episode shows what the cast has been up to in the 5 years since the end of the 5 year mission. They all get together to celebrate the 4th of July and the launching of the newly built Enterprise II. Everyone is present when a distress signal is picked up. Spock decides to go to investigate the event, meeting Sulu's excelsior there.

Enterprise-concept-art-3.jpg

Concept art by Ralph McQuarrie

A mysterious planet called Aurora V has appeared in the middle of Klingon, Romulan, and Federation space. An excavation site of the planet discovers advanced technology from an ancient civilization and a fight over it threatens to begin with a faction in each other three groups being involved, most notably is Toshiro Mifune as a Klingon nemesis to Spock, a choice to give him an enemy like Kirk had. It was a good year for Mifune as he had also appeared as Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars, as well as Ralph McQuarrie, who did art for both as well. Kirk and Spock comment on how peace was just achieved and how very nearly the three powers came close to destroying each other again.

Phase II was the last true series to feature the Original Cast. From then on the cast would appear in films. Gene Roddenberry had proposed a rejected idea for a film involving Klingons using the Guardian of Forever to assassinate John F.Kennedy but this was rejected. A new Producer came on named Harve Bennett. Bennett was assigned to Star Trek and confessed he never watched the show. He proceeded to sit down and marathon the entire series while taking notes, including the Miniseries. The Episode Space Seed resonated with him and the teases at the end of the episode as Kirk and Spock wonder what it would be like to come back to the planet Khan was exiled to Ceti Alpha V and see what Khan built. Upon finishing the episode declared...." We must go Back ".​

Last edited:
A non-pop culture question again, but do you have any ideas for alternate US governors and senators? Or British PMs, Canadian PMs, Australian PMs, Japanese PMs, or Russian Presidents?

A non-pop culture question again, but do you have any ideas for alternate US governors and senators? Or British PMs, Canadian PMs, Australian PMs, Japanese PMs, or Russian Presidents?
To elaborate I do have something of a list of potential leaders for each country but I’m. It entirely familiar with which leaders of each country are fondly remembered and not as much on which people wish had been elected. I have some for the UK but that’s it. It’s also why on your other thread I only made a detailed history of the US. I couldn’t trust myself to go into detail on the list of leaders for someplace like the UK.

To elaborate I do have something of a list of potential leaders for each country but I’m. It entirely familiar with which leaders of each country are fondly remembered and not as much on which people wish had been elected. I have some for the UK but that’s it. It’s also why on your other thread I only made a detailed history of the US. I couldn’t trust myself to go into detail on the list of leaders for someplace like the UK.
Tbh I have not a lot of ideas for ATL UK PM TLs, other than maybe Hugh Gatiskell becoming PM sometime in the 60s, or the LibDems winning an election.

Sir Robert Walpole(1721-1742)(Whig)
Walpole seems to be well liked given his long term. However I’m going to simplify the rules here. The elections for Prime Minister are held every five years. There are no term limits. Walpole was appointed by George I, but proceeded to win the 1722, 1727, 1732 and 1737 election ITTL. However, his power like OTL started to decline and his health grew worse so he did not run in 1942 and passed it off to Spencer Compton.

Spencer Compton(1742-1743)(Whig)
Kept due to the Whigs having cemented their power over many decades. Died in office.

Harry Pelham(1743-1754)(Whig)
Succeeded Compton after his death. Due to the extended election he wins the OTL 1747 and the TTL only 1752 election but died in 1754 like OTL

Thomas Pelham-Holles(1754-1762)(Whig)
The brother of Harry Pelham who ruled with and succeeded him. He wins the 1757 election, meaning William Cavendish does not become Prime Minister ITTL. First Whig Prime Minister to be defeated due to the waning power of the Whigs.

John Stuart(1962-1967)(Tory)
The First Tory Prime Minister due to the weakening power fo the Whigs due to their internal corruption. This timelines system of terms butterflies away the terms of George Renville and Charles Watson-Wentworth. Grenville was responsible for the Stamp Act. One of the taxes that led to the American revolution, meaning the Stamp Act doesn’t happen here though that doesn’t prevent the American Revolution.

William Pitt the Elder(1967-1977)(Whig)
Pretty fondly remembered OTL. Pitt the Elder is likely voted out due to the fact that he felt sympathetic towards the Americans and was willing to work with them to find a fair compromise, which in turn worked against him.

Frederick North(1777-1782)(Tory)
Seen largely as the Prime Minister who messed up with the American Revolution, vindicating Pitt the Elder in this case.

Charles Watson-Wentworth(1782)(Whig)
Died in Office OTL as well but accomplished much in his short time.

William Petty(1782-1787)(Whig)
Succeeding to the position upon Wentworth’s death. His biggest legacy is securing peace with America after their Revolution. He holds the position a bit longer than he did OTL due to the election method but also a bit of “He inherited this mess let’s give him a chance).

William Pitt the Younger(1787-1802)(Tory)
The youngest Prime Minister in both timelines though a few years older here(24 OTL, 28 TTL). He sees about the same level of success. Enough to win again in 1792 and 1797.

Henry Addington(1802-1807)(Whig)
Known OTL for poor handing of Napoleonic Wars. OTL he was defeated by William Pitt the Younger returning but due to the election cycle, Pitt the younger dies in 1806 without defeating Addington.

William Grenville(1807-1812)(Whig)
Replaces Addington but sadly also failed to make peace with France or grant Catholic Emancipation. He did however end the British Slave Trade. Likely what he is most remembered for. His premiership butterflies away Spencer Perceval’s Prime Minister role and therefore his assassination, which was brought on by Perceval’s government choices impacting a merchant’s livelihood and most people were actually glad when he was killed. Perceval is more remembered for dying than anything he did alive.

Robert Jenkinson(1812-1827)(Tory)
Prime Minister during notable events including the War of 1812 and the Napoleonic Wars. Won the 1817 and 1822 elections. Jenkinson would resign when his health grew worse.

George Canning(1827)(Tory)
Ironically, Jenkinson’s successor would not outlive him and die in office.

F.J.Robinson(1827-1832)(Tory)
Failed to hold together Canning’s group of Tories and Whigs and they broke apart. While he resigned shortly after OTL, ITTL he is forced to remain in power longer and his reputation is possibly worse given he doesn’t just resign.

Arthur Wellesley(1832-1837)(Tory)
Chosen to replace F.J. Robinson. Wellesley is a war hero after his victory over Napoleon, helping in his victory.

Charles Grey(1837-1842)(Whig)
Chose to keep him as Grey ranks pretty high among Prime Ministers for parliamentary reform and abolition of the Slave Trade. Plus Earl Grey Tea still needs to be named after him.

Sir Robert Peel(1842-1847)(Conservative)
Kept on due to being influential in shaping modern British Politics including the founding of the Conservative party.

Lord John Russel(1847-1852(Whig)
Is seen as generally better when he Wasn’t Prime Minister than when he was as while he did many things, as Prime Minister the other parts of the government were dominated by the opposition and he couldn’t do as much has he wanted. Here he’s able to get more done than OTL.

Edward Smith-Stanley(1852-1862)(Conservative)
Prime Minister three separate times OTL, each fairly briefly. His continued terms butterfly away that of George Hamilton-Gordon.

Henry John Temple(1862-1865)(Liberal)
John Temple was responsible OTL for Britain taking parts of China and India, fortunately his impact is reduced as with his term pushed up time wise to closer to his death he is only alive three years, essentially dying mid wars.

Lord John Russell(1865-1867)(Liberal)
The Former Prime Minister assumed the role again after Temple’s death, having founded the Liberal Party after he left office.

Benjamin Disraeli(1867-1872)(Conservative)
Edward Smith is getting old and knows he would die midterm so Disraeli runs and wins instead to beat Russell.

William Ewart Gladstone(1872-1877)(Liberal)
Part of the Disraeli-Gladstone Wars so to speak in which the two faced offs witching multiple times, albeit somewhat reduced here by the length of the terms.

Benjamin Disraeli(1877-1881)(Conservative)
Parallels Disraeli’s real term in office. He died in 1881 and here is replaced by Robert Gascoyne-Cecil.

Robert Gascoyne Cecil(1881-1887)(Conservative)
Disraeli’s successor. He resumes the rivalry with Gladstone to an extent here.

William Ewart Gladstone(1887-1892)(Liberal)
He’s back.

Archibald Primrose(1892-1897)(Liberal)
Gladstone’s successor.

Robert Gascoyne Cecil(1897-1902)(Conservative)
He’s back for the final time as he died in 1903.

Joseph Chamberlain(1902-1912)(Conservative)
Not to be confused with his son Neville Chamberlain. Joseph is considered one of the most influential British politicians to never become British Prime Minister. He campaigned for Lord Salisbury and helped behind the scenes. He was kicked out of the Liberal Party for being against Irish Home rule and this would be echoed in his Premiership, meaning he gives Ireland more independence, hopefully averting the Troubles. He refused to run again in 1914 OTL and died soon after. With the different elections he resigns with two years left. Chamberlain also fought in the Boer Wars so there’s that and Winston Churchill met him at the time and revered him. He did collapse in 1906, but recovered, so there would be a short scare at that time.

H.H Asquith(1912-1917)(Liberal)
Leads the country through World War I. He was seen at the time as pretty inept and resigned but ITTL with elements such as the US entering the war earlier. He’s remembered a bit better than OTL.

David Lloyd George(1917-1922)(Liberal)
OTL the last Liberal Prime Minister. Known largely for his handling of the post war period.

Austen Chamberlain(1922-1927)(Conservative)
Nivelle’s half brother. OTL he wanted to bring down Lloyd George but chose to stick with Andrew Bonar Law despite his illness, Law died in Office OTL which did not happen here and Chamberlain takes his place, butterflying away the Premierships of Stanley Baldwin and Ramsay McDonald. The fact that his father was an excellent Prime Minister ITTL likely encouraged him to step up.

JR Clynes(1927-1937)(Labour)
Is said to have lost the election in OTL 1924 because his victory seemed so certain that a cab of his supports got lost o the way there and others thought that their vote wouldn’t make a difference and failed to turn up, which does not happen ITTL.

Edward Wood(1937-1940)(Conservative)
Lord Halifax. Was fairly Lukewarm about being Prime Minister. He was also Neville Chamberlain’s OTL choice for his successor. He continued to push for peace talks, which would be useless against Hitler and force the same outcome of resignation and replacement by Winston Churchill as OTL. I guess the name Ed Wood is always going to be synonymous with good intentions but terrible execution that results in crimes against humanity.

Winston Churchill(1940-1947)(Conservative)
Had to keep him for various reasons. He was foreign secretary under Austen Chamberlain ITTL and declares war with Germany in 1939, making the war drawn out but leading it better than OTL Neville Chamberlain.

Herbert Morrison(1947-1957)(Labour)
OTL a rival to Clement Attlee. He is seen as more aggressive, taking a tough stance on many topics and outright saying He should have been Prime Minister instead of Attlee. His election would actually have the outcome of splitting the Labour Party between Morrison and Attlee, leading to further Conservative victories.

Iain Macleod(1952-1957)(Conservative)
Macleod is known largely for his role in granting parts of the British Empire independence post war and serving multiple positions. He was generally unhappy with the OTL choices for Prime Ministers and so it seems fitting if he rose earlier and took the position himself.

Rab Butler(1957-1962)(conservative)
OTL Rab Butler was criticized by Harold Macmillian for being “a politician of vague ambition” which is seen as meaning he wasn’t good enough at back stabbing people. Here he defeats Macmillian in a show of”Sometimes you don’t need to backstab people to succeed in politics Sometimes you just have to be a good person.” OTL he also spoke against military action in Suez in 1957, which hurts his credit and leaves him without US help(especially if ITTL Patton is the President I just imagine Patton saying “That Bastard won’t send help!? No wonder he’s called Butler, he should be wiping my ass!”). An event which does not happen here if Gaitskell is in charge. There are several Prime Ministers his longer term butterflies away. Sir Anthony Eden is seen as one of the lower Prime Ministers and Sir Douglas-Home was only in power a short time.Macmillian not being Prime Minster butterflies away the “Supermac” parody of him. Macmillian also got along well with Eisenhower so that connection wouldn’t exist ITTL. He would be vindicated by history though so there’s that.

Quentin Hogg(1962-1967)(Conservative)
A law was passed by the Conservatives to literally allow him to lead the party and run for Prime Minister since he also had a royal title. ITTL he actually does get the nomination.

Hugh Gaitskell(1967-1972)(Labour)
Gaitskell opposed military action in the Suez and abandoned Claus IV Socialism. OTL he dies suddenly when he seemed to be leading the Labour Party to be the next Prime Minster in 1962, ITTL he does not die suddenly and does just that. His one term however, in this case is while his immediate death is removed, he likely is still very sick and so would step down after one term to focus on his health.

Michael Foot(1972-1977)(Labour)
Defeated James Callaghan in a narrow victory. Foot came very close multiple times to leading Labour to victory. ITTL he succeeds.

Tony Benn(1977-1982)(Labour)
Called The Grandfather of British Politics and very influential but OTL he was hampered throughout the 70’s and 80’s by the fact that he was the most vocal opposition to Margaret Thatcher while she was in power, ironically, he has replaced her, to an extent, but was liked by both political parties so has an easier time in office than her.

Enoch Powell(1982-1987)(Conservative)
Gets a bad rap for his “Rivers of Blood” speech but OTL was actually a more reasonable person that knew he couldn’t do everything he wanted to do and seems to have been pragmatic. His term fittingly is a nod to him losing the 1987 election OTL. However most of the criticisms Thatcher received OTL can be directed to him. Imagine political cartoons of 1984 with Powell’s face giving the Rivers of Blood Speech.

Barbara Castle(1987-1992)(Labour)
One of the longest serving female MPs is now the first female Prime Minister and on top of that she is much kinder than Thatcher was. Why have a Thatched Roof when we can have a Castle.

Michael Heseltine(1992-1997)(Conservative)
OTL Heseltine’s political career was hampered by him being the one to finally bring down Margaret Thatcher and even the people who were against her couldn’t bring themselves to support the man who brought her down, leading to his OTL lost to John Major. Without Margaret Thatcher for him to bring down he does a lost better.

John Smith(1997-2002)(Labour)
John Smith is seen as one of the best Prime Ministers we never had. He died suddenly at 55 in 1994 with headlines reading “Britain’s next Prime Minister died yesterday”. Being Scottish its generally agreed he would have handled Scottish referendum much better had he survived. Fittingly he’s replaced another John, John Major. Here he does step down for health reasons.

Denis Healey(2002-2007)(Labour)
A Pretty consistently loyal member of Labour, returning every time they were In power, though he had a rival in Tony Benn. He consistently ran in elections but never seemed to win. Throwing him a bone here as he was a center left politician who was seen as intelligent and with common sense.

Kenneth Clarke(2007-2012)(Conservative)
Quite possibly currently the most experienced man in British politics as well as being Queen Consul. He ran several times and was defeated by David Cameron in 2005. ITTL it is the reverse.

Neil Kinnock(2012-2017)(Labour)
Kinnock has experience in. Multiple different parts of the government, so he might be a good fit.

William Hague(2017-2022)(Conservative)
Seen as intelligent and knowledgeable. Lost to Tony Blair in 1997. ITTL he lost to John Smith instead.

Rory Stewart(2022-)(Independent)
Fairly young compared to most politicians on this list. Stewart is accomplished, having been an author, a soldier, academic, diplomat and explorer. OTL he resigned when Boris Johnson became Prime Minister, ITTL its reversed, and yes he did join an Independent Party, which once more shakes up British politics.
Should you really be doing that kind of post here