True or false England surrenders

as has been said before, they only thought they'd be able to pull roughly 40,000 out of the Dunkirk pocket. They expected to keep fighting after losing 300,000 men and most of the Army's equipment.
If I am not mistaken, the subject was hotly debated and the “miracle of Dunkirk” was a very strong support for the “fight on” decision.

Ian_W

Banned
If I am not mistaken, the subject was hotly debated and the “miracle of Dunkirk” was a very strong support for the “fight on” decision.

That decision was made before it was known anyone had got out.

Remember, Nazis lie. A lot.

I doubt that England would surrender outright, but the knowledge that the 'flower of England's youth' would be languishing in German prison camps indefinitely would have put tremendous pressure on the government to broker some sort of peace deal.

I doubt that England would surrender outright, but the knowledge that the 'flower of England's youth' would be languishing in German prison camps indefinitely would have put tremendous pressure on the government to broker some sort of peace deal.

I also doubt that England would surrender, though one might wonder if the British Empire and Commonwealth might.

But, between the Malaya campaign and the fall of Singapore, some 210,000 British "youths" were captured by the Japanese, and would face worse POW conditions than if captured by the Germans. However, no British move to some sort of peace deal.

Deleted member 94680

How so?

If Germany had offered a peace deal which included return of the POWs, the family and friends of the captured British soldiers might well have put pressure on the government to accept.

It's impossible for a peace treaty between two signatories of Geneva III 1929 not to include the provision for the return of POWs. It's not a "which" option.

Deleted member 94680

If Germany had offered a peace deal which included return of the POWs, the family and friends of the captured British soldiers might well have put pressure on the government to accept.

I very much doubt British politics of the era to work in that manner.

Any of the main political figures wouldn’t take up the campaign, the media wouldn’t run with the story and society as a whole was unlikely to look kindly on families holding the government to ransom.

We are at most talking of 200,000 families (of course allowing for soldiers with no families, brothers in service etc or even not all families joining the campaign) which, while it sounds a lot, will not represent a government-felling amount.