Transvaal sea access

You're right, its border are'nt the same; it was smaller.

Swaziland at no time in its history ever had a coast.

Hmm. Bonner's Kings, Commoners and Concessionaires: The Evolution and Dissolution of the Nineteenth-Century Swazi State very strongly indicates that the Swazi did in fact have access to the sea, and that a deal was nearly made in the late 1850s that would have made the Swazi vassals of the Boers in return for protection from the Portuguese, Gaza, British, and Zulu, in which the Boers were to be allowed right of settlement in and through Swazi territory - including sea access.

Hmm. Bonner's Kings, Commoners and Concessionaires: The Evolution and Dissolution of the Nineteenth-Century Swazi State very strongly indicates that the Swazi did in fact have access to the sea, and that a deal was nearly made in the late 1850s that would have made the Swazi vassals of the Boers in return for protection from the Portuguese, Gaza, British, and Zulu, in which the Boers were to be allowed right of settlement in and through Swazi territory - including sea access.

I like this POD very much because it doesn't have the ZAR challenge major colonial powers in the region, and yet it still gains sea access. But I can't find any map of Swaziland streching all the way to the sea, and certainly not to Delagoa Bay. And even if it did at some point the Portuguese and the British were actively competing for the area- concluding treaties of cession with natives and such- even before the Great Trek, since the 1820s.

Maybe if a larger Swazi state manages to retain control of the area and then make an alliance with the expanding Transvaal...? It's just that the bay-in 'bay poor' Southern Africa, as someone put it- might be too good a spot to be left unoccupied. I checked the Mozambique coast south of Maputo on Googleearth and there are hardly any settlements, never mind ports.

Still the Boer-Swazi alliance seems the most likely scenario to me so far.

In the 19th century the only states with sea access in South Africa were the British colonies, Natal (before annexation) and Zululand.

None of the maps from the early 20th or late 19th century show it as having a coast, but rather as being situated between Portuguese Mozambique, Transvaal, Zululand and Britain.

I like this POD very much because it doesn't have the ZAR challenge major colonial powers in the region, and yet it still gains sea access. But I can't find any map of Swaziland streching all the way to the sea, and certainly not to Delagoa Bay. And even if it did at some point the Portuguese and the British were actively competing for the area- concluding treaties of cession with natives and such- even before the Great Trek, since the 1820s.

Maybe if a larger Swazi state manages to retain control of the area and then make an alliance with the expanding Transvaal...? It's just that the bay-in 'bay poor' Southern Africa, as someone put it- might be too good a spot to be left unoccupied. I checked the Mozambique coast south of Maputo on Googleearth and there are hardly any settlements, never mind ports.

Still the Boer-Swazi alliance seems the most likely scenario to me so far.

In the 19th century the only states with sea access in South Africa were the British colonies, Natal (before annexation) and Zululand.

None of the maps from the early 20th or late 19th century show it as having a coast, but rather as being situated between Portuguese Mozambique, Transvaal, Zululand and Britain.

The Swazi certainly claimed the area; whether or not you'll find European-produced maps which show it not under their own jurisdiction is another matter altogether. I've already quoted my source in this matter.

Wasn't Transvaal asserting contol over parts of OTL Mozambique west of the Limpopo in the late 1860's? Perhaps, if Britain is too busy on another front to act, the change will stand.

Which was firmly in Zulu, and therefore, by extension, British, territory. No dice.
Not really,they could take it by force and the British were not exactly friendly with Zulus then,about 1851-2(after the first Boer War) read "The Map of Africa by Treaty" and when the boers established the two repubics of Transvaal and Orange Free State;Wilson ponders the possibility...

Last edited:
Not really,they could take it by force and the British were not exactly friendly with Zulus then,about 1851-2(after the first Boer War) read "The Map of Africa by Treaty" and when the boers established the two repubics of Transvaal and Orange Free State;Wilson ponders the possibility...

First Boer War was in 1877 :confused:

Not too sure what you are trying to say in this post.

Wasn't Transvaal asserting contol over parts of OTL Mozambique west of the Limpopo in the late 1860's? Perhaps, if Britain is too busy on another front to act, the change will stand.

Maybe if Britain and Spain don't pull out of the French Expedition in Mexico in the early 1860s, they'll be preoccupied with the war there, and possibly the public anger over the expedition. Too preoccupied to worry about issues in South Africa?

First Boer War was in 1877 :confused:

Not too sure what you are trying to say in this post.

Marius,you have your facts totally wrong!

What you call First Boer war was in 1880-1881 not 1877 and it was not the first one;The First Boer War occurred in 1848 with the battle of Boomplaats.
Its consequences were very serious because it forced certain Boer groups
to cross the river Vaal and institute two democracies,those of Transvaal and
Orange Free State;The real point being that some Boers,after the defeat of the Zulus had come to agreements with the Zulus about the lawful purchase of land before the British annexed Zululand in 1848,and,in an official capacity I had to handle cases and claims before the High Court of Bulawayo,Rhodesia so I know the case first hand and its fiscal as well as its political importance
since Her Majesty's Government stood liable for unjustifiable delay of the Zululand's annexation after the timely proclamation of that matter by the Governor and the relevant Order in Council.
Pertinent to the point in question being that the access to the sea was in Boer hands due to purchases in the area.

What you call First Boer war was in 1880-1881 not 1877 and it was not the first one;The First Boer War occurred in 1848 with the battle of Boomplaats.
Orange Free State;The real point being that some Boers,after the defeat of the Zulus had come to agreements with the Zulus about the lawful purchase of land before the British annexed Zululand in 1848,and,in an official capacity I had to handle cases and claims before the High Court of Bulawayo,Rhodesia so I know the case first hand and its fiscal as well as its political importance
since Her Majesty's Government stood liable for unjustifiable delay of the Zululand's annexation after the timely proclamation of that matter by the Governor and the relevant Order in Council.
Pertinent to the point in question being that the access to the sea was in Boer hands due to purchases in the area.

I might have got my dates wrong, but you said the Boer War was in 1850...

And now you say the First Boer War was in 1848. I am very confused by your dates here dude.

He seems to be counting earlier wars or battles in the naming of "Boer Wars". Whereas at least in the English speaking places I've lived, we refer to two, the first being 1880-81, the second being 1899-1902. Any other battles or wars use different naming rules.

He seems to be counting earlier wars or battles in the naming of "Boer Wars". Whereas at least in the English speaking places I've lived, we refer to two, the first being 1880-81, the second being 1899-1902. Any other battles or wars use different naming rules.

That's what I thought, was trying to get some clarification from him.

By that reckoning let's start calling the conflict of 1939-1945 World War V.

:rolleyes:

Tbf guys until the IOTL First Boer War the various wars between the Boers and the British-backed Zulu and other natives was known as the Boer Wars in South Africa.

Tbf guys until the IOTL First Boer War the various wars between the Boers and the British-backed Zulu and other natives was known as the Boer Wars in South Africa.

Were the Zulu backed by the British?

But that's silly.

Until WWII started the First World War was called the Great War. We don't call it that anymore, do we?

If you do not mind me asking, what were you working on when in Rhodesia?

Was just about to say that, thanks Iori.

When I said Swaziland, I was referring to the generic area of the Swazi people, not necessarily the modern nation-state.

Southern Africa is quite "bay poor" too, so it is quite difficult to find suitable places where ships can dock safely.

Wasn't Durban harbor initially pretty poor and requiring extensive dredging and so on?