top tv shows NEVER MADE...

The programme was based on a cartoon strip by Jean-Michel Charlier and Albert Uderzo titled Tanguy et Laverdure and thee series of 13 episodes were made. There was another Chevaliers du Ceil TV series in the 1980s and a 2005 film called Chevaliers du Ceil in French and Sky Fighters in English.

I loved those books...

I loved those books...
I didn't discover them until 2003 when I was living in Lisbon when I browsed through them in a bookshop in one of the big shopping malls one Saturday afternoon. There was something eerily familiar about them but I didn't know why. The fourth or fifth book had an advertisement for the TV series with a picture of Jaques Sandti and Christian Martin. Then the memories flooded back.

Last edited:
I loved those books...
I like the TV series because the stories are good and Aeronaut Fan did an excellent job with the subtitles.

I love the footage of the era's French military aircraft. I particularly liked Mediterranean Cruise because they were one one of the Clemenceau class aircraft carriers. We see the Atlantique in action as well as the Alize, Crusader and Etendard. There are also a few episodes where Tanguy was the Mirage G's test pilot.

Yellowstone - Kevin Costner stars as John Dutton, chief ranger of Yellowstone National Park. The show focuses on Dutton's professional challenges trying to run one of America's largest and most important national parks all the while protecting the people from the park, the park from the people, and the people from each other. The show also deals with the drama in Dutton's personal life including his struggles with the death of his wife 20 years earlier and the recent death under mysterious circumstances of his oldest son who was the foreman on a prominent ranch in Montana just outside the park's boundaries. Dutton also struggles with his relationships with this three living children including his second son who is a senior attorney for an energy firm seeking to expand its drilling operations in Wyoming and Montana, his daughter who is a highly successful if somewhat unethical real estate developer, and his youngest son, an FBI agent investigating a series of murders on a nearby Indian reservation.

Thought I'd build on my Lupin III idea with a cast for Sailor Moon: The Western Series.

I'm not too big on that franchise, so I simply decided to have the main heroes - anyone who wants to suggests ideas for however I missed can as long as it consists of LA-based talent from the mid to late 90s.

Sailor Moon: Janice Kawaye
Sailor Mercury: Kath Soucie
Sailor Mars: Catherine Cavadini
Sailor Jupiter: Grey DeLisle
Sailor Venus: Kate Higgins
Tuxedo Mask: Jess Harnell
Luna: Tress MacNille
Artemis: Gregg Berger

Thought I'd build on my Lupin III idea with a cast for Sailor Moon: The Western Series.

I'm not too big on that franchise, so I simply decided to have the main heroes - anyone who wants to suggests ideas for however I missed can as long as it consists of LA-based talent from the mid to late 90s.

Sailor Moon: Janice Kawaye
Sailor Mercury: Kath Soucie
Sailor Mars: Catherine Cavadini
Sailor Jupiter: Grey DeLisle
Sailor Venus: Kate Higgins
Tuxedo Mask: Jess Harnell
Luna: Tress MacNille
Artemis: Gregg Berger

I think I can say with some confidence that, with the possible exception of Grey DeLisle, I have, honest to God, never heard of any of these people.

Knives Out (2018-2020) - a Soap opera about the machinations of the rich but dysfunctional Thrombey family, headed by patriarch and mystery writer Harlowe Thrombey (William Shatner). The series achieved more widespread notoriety in the second season, where Harlowe is murdered after disinheriting the entire family, and kicks of a mystery arc of not just who dun it, but also about the fallout for the Thrombeys both in terms of inheritance and reationships.

Last edited:
Trimates - A canadian scifi cartoon produced by Nelvana about about three teen girls who get access to three (technically four) giant robots modelled after great apes, which they use to fight an invasion of aliens and other assorted giants.
  • Janet and Bonnie Sims - A pair of brainy twin sisters who pilot twin chimpanzee and bonobo mechs, named after Jane Goodall.
  • Belledonna "Donny" Fernandez - The brawler of the group, who pilots a gorilla mech.
  • Daina Dionizas - The east european exchage student of the group, who pilots an orangutan mech.
Eventually, the team gains a rival/ally in the form of of Rex, a genetically altered gorilla who remotely control a human mech.

(Still trying to get ideas for VAs. Any ideas?)

First Among Equals-A British political drama series set in an alternative universe where the office of Prime Minister doesn't exist and instead there are a group of First Secretaries with responsibility for large government departments. Downing Street is the centre of the British Capital Territory) and is in fact houses the official residences of various First Secretaries.

Nominally The First Secretary with responsibility for Domestic Affairs is the lead minister.

First Among Equals-A British political drama series set in an alternative universe where the office of Prime Minister doesn't exist and instead there are a group of First Secretaries with responsibility for large government departments. Downing Street is the centre of the British Capital Territory) and is in fact houses the official residences of various First Secretaries.

Nominally The First Secretary with responsibility for Domestic Affairs is the lead minister.

Dungeons and Dragons - documentary story of the rise and fall of a roller coaster, from the design and build stages, through investigation and closure after six teens go missing on the ride in 1983.

Driftless

Donor
Tales From The White Hart

1979-81 BBC (18 Episodes)

Largely based on the light-hearted “White Hart” short stories of Arthur C. Clarke, with teleplay scripting by a number of writers, including Clarke. Clarke also wrote some new material during the three year run of the series. In some cases, two shorter written works were combined into single episodes.

The episodes begin and end with the alcohol-fueled conversations of the regulars of the White Hart Pub in an unspecified area of London. The regulars are an eclectic mix of scientists, writers, and philosophers. The primary regular is Harry Purvis, who, depending on your viewpoint is either: a bald-faced liar, a modern-day Munchausen, or a raconteur extraordinaire. For the cost of a drink or two, he spins the most fabulous and often funny yarns that have a scientific or science-fiction twist, usually with an ironic finish. As the regulars gather around, Harry would launch into one of his yarns, and the scene shifts into the setting of the tale being told. Most episodes end with Harry setting down his empty glass on the bar.

The series was popular during its British run and later became a staple of US Public TV for decades. Steven Spielberg personally enjoyed the series so much, he incorporated two of the tales into his own “Amazing Stories” anthology series in the mid 1980’s, with Arthur C. Clarke’s assistance.

Cast (BBC)
The Regulars
Harry Purvis – Richard Briers​
Drew (The Publican of the White Hart) – Lionel Jeffries​
Vincent – Tim Wylton​
Willis – Clive Swift​
Christopher – Nigel Stock​
Beynon – Hugh Fraser​
Arthur (C. Clarke) – David Yelland (Seldom speaks, sometimes surreptitiously scribbles notes on whatever is handy – beer mat, shirt sleeve, menu)​

Guest actors
Robert Morley, Terry Thomas, Rowan Atkinson, Jeff Goldblum, Leo McKern

Amazing Stories(NBC) (2 segments)
Harry Purvis – Bernard Fox​

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1974-81)

A spin-off TV series from Doctor Who, H2G2 (as fans shorten the title) was intended as a more comedic, low budget show that could recycle settings and costumes. The show was carried almost entirely by Ronnie Corbett, of the popular Two Ronnies comedy show, who was the only cast regular, with others being at best recurring - including Tom Baker as the Doctor. Eight seasons of six episodes were produced, with each show using a different setting and an almost entirely different cast, with almost no characters appearing in more than two consecutive episodes. Sets and costumes were drawn from whatever was available, frequently sets from the parent production that were being filmed at the same time and left over special effects and costumes from whatever was being filmed at the BBC at the time or could be found in their stores.

Corbett plays the titular Hitchhiker, Mr. Martin Dent, a hapless civil servant who is accidentally deposited on the far side of the galaxy from the Earth during one of the Doctor's confrontations with the Master. While considerably daunted at this predicament, Dent sets out on the long search for his home, hitching rides on whatever ships he can persuade to carry him, a journey that takes him from one problem to the next, while struggling with the problem that he isn't really sure where Earth within the galaxy and is therefore chasing rumours and half-baked theories.

The situation of each episode was comparatively formulaic: either Dent had just arrived on a new world and was seeking information about Earth's location, or another ship taking him closer to his current destination; or he had recently embarked on a new vessel. In either case, Dent stumbles into a conflict and is compelled either by risk to himself or the incentive of either passage on a ship or clues to where Earth is. After two or three attempts, through a mix of naive goodwill, misunderstandings and good fortune, Dent manages to provide some solution (temporary or permanent), before moving along.

Episodes opened, in imitation of Star Trek, with a narration by Dent taken from the diary he is filling out as he travels. While the show never reaches Earth, the Doctor manages on one occasion to track Dent down and by consulting the diary which was apparently in the hands of Dent's granddaughter, but the attempt to return Dent home fails when the hitchhiker is distracted by the ongoing crisis and fails to reach the TARDIS before it departs. Since the diary made it home, it is presumed by fans that Dent would eventually have finally made it home.

While H2G2 is remembered fondly for its charm and clever solutions, Corbett noted that it was extremely hard on the writing staff (which included his fellow Ronnie, Ronnie Barker) who had to come up with a solution that avoided violence or scientific knowledge - since Dent was accomplished in neither - while at the same time leaving setting details for each world vague enough to be filled in by whatever the producers could find before shooting began.

More Episodes of Lupin III: The Western Series

Nightmaretime, Thanks to Poirot: Lupin and Jigen are forced to end up pitted against each other when the latter shocks everyone takes a liking to Emmanuelle Poirot (Jeanine Ellias). This event leads to the two duking out inside a Dreamtime Cave near Uluru. With Goemon being the only member of his four-man gang left, he decides to look for answers about what exactly Emmanuelle and Fujiko want.

The Inspector of Od: Fujiko gets knocked unconscious when a train she was riding into Budapest derails. When she wakes up, Fujiko finds herself in a strange land with only a beagle for company, and a house she was in having fallen on and killed The Sucky Witch of the South. She learns from The Mediocre Witch of the South (recurring character Emmanuele Poiroit; who debuted in the Red Jacket anime), that she must go to meet the Inspector of Od if she wants to return home. Along the way however, Fujiko earns the ire of The Sucky Witch of the North (Bonnie Parker; who also debuted in Red Jacket anime) because The Sucky Witch of the South was her sister.

Meanwhile, Fujiko meets up with several other characters who also need the Inspector of Od's help: The Scarecrow (Lupin), who needs medication for his CSD; The Lion (Jigen), who needs an updated license that complies with new gun laws; and the Tin Man (Goemon), who needs an authentic Japanese meal. Eventually, The Sucky Witch of the North is killed by Fujiko when she throws water all over the place to stop the Scarecrow from burning to death. When everyone thinks he's dead, Scarecrow then reveals himself to have been dressed up as a guard, and he also stole of the Sucky Witch's wand. When they return, they are disappointed that the Inspector of Od is really just Zenigata speaking into a microphone. In the end, Scarecrow uses the wand to turn the Mediocre Witch into an old crone, steals her crown, and leads the gang in robbing the Inspector's castle. The dream ends as Fujiko feels herself being licked by the dog, relieving both Lupin and Goemon.

Beagle Action: After performing a heist on the Field Museum's Egypt collection, Lupin & Gang discover that they are being followed by a small beagle. Eventually, Lupin decides to give the beagle off to Zenigata as a gift for the cop's birthday. Zenigata is overjoyed to finally have proper company and names the beagle "Kuiper", but it soon turns out the Kuiper escaped from a dog-fighting ring. Leaving it up to Lupin to save both Kuiper and Fujiko when said dog-fighters look for the beagle. Kuiper was popular enough with fans that he appears alongside Zenigata in every subsequent episode.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1974-81)

A spin-off TV series from Doctor Who, H2G2 (as fans shorten the title) was intended as a more comedic, low budget show that could recycle settings and costumes. The show was carried almost entirely by Ronnie Corbett, of the popular Two Ronnies comedy show, who was the only cast regular, with others being at best recurring - including Tom Baker as the Doctor. Eight seasons of six episodes were produced, with each show using a different setting and an almost entirely different cast, with almost no characters appearing in more than two consecutive episodes. Sets and costumes were drawn from whatever was available, frequently sets from the parent production that were being filmed at the same time and left over special effects and costumes from whatever was being filmed at the BBC at the time or could be found in their stores.

Corbett plays the titular Hitchhiker, Mr. Martin Dent, a hapless civil servant who is accidentally deposited on the far side of the galaxy from the Earth during one of the Doctor's confrontations with the Master. While considerably daunted at this predicament, Dent sets out on the long search for his home, hitching rides on whatever ships he can persuade to carry him, a journey that takes him from one problem to the next, while struggling with the problem that he isn't really sure where Earth within the galaxy and is therefore chasing rumours and half-baked theories.

The situation of each episode was comparatively formulaic: either Dent had just arrived on a new world and was seeking information about Earth's location, or another ship taking him closer to his current destination; or he had recently embarked on a new vessel. In either case, Dent stumbles into a conflict and is compelled either by risk to himself or the incentive of either passage on a ship or clues to where Earth is. After two or three attempts, through a mix of naive goodwill, misunderstandings and good fortune, Dent manages to provide some solution (temporary or permanent), before moving along.

Episodes opened, in imitation of Star Trek, with a narration by Dent taken from the diary he is filling out as he travels. While the show never reaches Earth, the Doctor manages on one occasion to track Dent down and by consulting the diary which was apparently in the hands of Dent's granddaughter, but the attempt to return Dent home fails when the hitchhiker is distracted by the ongoing crisis and fails to reach the TARDIS before it departs. Since the diary made it home, it is presumed by fans that Dent would eventually have finally made it home.

While H2G2 is remembered fondly for its charm and clever solutions, Corbett noted that it was extremely hard on the writing staff (which included his fellow Ronnie, Ronnie Barker) who had to come up with a solution that avoided violence or scientific knowledge - since Dent was accomplished in neither - while at the same time leaving setting details for each world vague enough to be filled in by whatever the producers could find before shooting began.
I like it! Shades of Dumarest.

The Animated Avengers

Walt Disney shook the world when in 1979, he purchased a 40% stake in Marvel comics, as well as its subsidiary such as Marvel Animation Studios. This naturally lead to plans for a Marvel TV series on the fledgling Disney Channel. Though it did take until 1984 for the show to finally see the light of day.

The show features the following voice cast for the heroes of the series:
- Captain America/Steve Rodgers (Corey Burton)
- Thor (Ron Perlman)
- Iron Man/Tony Stark (Maurice LaMarche)
- Wasp (Catherine Cavadini)
- Hulk (Jim Cummings)