Tommy Dorsey and the U.S. Army Band

Let's say that there was somewhat greater outrage at the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and an even larger rush of volunteers went to the recruiting stations in early 1942.

Culturally, what would have been the impact of the entire Tommy Dorsey orchestra enlisting as a unit into the Army (given this band was not going to be in direct combat, Frank Sinatra gets a waiver for his alleged perforated eardrum and goes with the band as well - making several memorable recordings with the band in England, and after D-Day, live performances in Europe). Maybe Benny Goodman's, Artie Shaw's or Harry James' bands joined the Navy.

This could have happened alongside Glenn Miller joining the Air Corps, or in lieu of it. What would have been the cultural impact?

Recording technology was still limited in the forties. The consumer market still used 78-rpm records with incomplete fidelity. Until the war looked favorable for the Allies after D-Day, entertainment would have still been secondary.

The consumer market still used 78-rpm records with incomplete fidelity
I’m 61-yrs-old and grew up with albums. These days, I like CDs, too. And one fine day, I’ll probably wade thru the steps of setting up a Sirius account, which I suspect will be all but impossible to cancel!

Anyway, I think I’d enjoy having a friend really into music who also had a collection of 78 records. :)

Let's say that there was somewhat greater outrage at the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and an even larger rush of volunteers went to the recruiting stations in early 1942.

Culturally, what would have been the impact of the entire Tommy Dorsey orchestra enlisting as a unit into the Army (given this band was not going to be in direct combat, Frank Sinatra gets a waiver for his alleged perforated eardrum and goes with the band as well - making several memorable recordings with the band in England, and after D-Day, live performances in Europe). Maybe Benny Goodman's, Artie Shaw's or Harry James' bands joined the Navy.

This could have happened alongside Glenn Miller joining the Air Corps, or in lieu of it. What would have been the cultural impact?
I don't know if it makes that big of an impact. Everyone was expected to support the war effort. Actors, musicians, and so on. Even those who didn't serve (Regan) were expected to make patriotic films. If other musicians follow in uniform (having black bands sign up might encourage more black soldiers to enlist earlier, with possible future social repercussions) this could pave the way for future "patriot musicians".

USO Tours are going to wail iTTL, that's for sure.

Even those who didn't serve (Regan) were expected to make patriotic films.
GOOD GRIEF!!!!!! First, Ronald Reagan did serve, he was a Reserve officer who was diverted back to Hollywood by the Army (not his choice)....this is documented.

The following is Overcome by events due to operator headspace: I thought the word was "wait" rather than "wail":

NO USO tours????? Well what about all those Bob Hope tours in the Pacific....and he performed in London prior to D-Day.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia: "During World War II, he [Rudy Vallee] enlisted in the United States Coast Guard to help direct the 11th district Coast Guard band as a Chief Petty Officer. He was promoted to Lieutenant and led the 40 piece band to great success. In 1944, he was placed on the inactive list and returned to radio."

Looks like all of the services are covered. :)