Tom Bombadil in LOTR movie

Suppose Peter Jackson had decided to include Tom Bombadil in his movie adaptation of the first LOTR movie. Who would most likely play the chararcter and how would he go over with audiences?

Thande

Donor
Oh, stop playing with my fragile vanities! :eek:

Either Tom Baker or Robin Williams. However, even though Bombadil is my favourite character from LOTR, I doubt if he could be portrayed properly on screen. Tolkien himself didn't think so: he demanded Bombadil be cut from the first drafts of Zimmerman's film project after he twee-ised him. In any case, I can understand Jackson's point, as the film is necessarily much faster paced than the book (in the book there is a several year gap between the birthday party and Frodo setting off) and the Bombadil interlude would destroy the suspense.

So, unlike some of the other changes made, I can at least accept the reasons for cutting Bombadil.

ROBIN WILLIAMS?!? AAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!!!!

I keep telling myself "he can't live forever", but I'm losing hope.

Thande said:
Oh, stop playing with my fragile vanities! :eek:

Either Tom Baker or Robin Williams. However, even though Bombadil is my favourite character from LOTR, I doubt if he could be portrayed properly on screen. Tolkien himself didn't think so: he demanded Bombadil be cut from the first drafts of Zimmerman's film project after he twee-ised him. In any case, I can understand Jackson's point, as the film is necessarily much faster paced than the book (in the book there is a several year gap between the birthday party and Frodo setting off) and the Bombadil interlude would destroy the suspense.

So, unlike some of the other changes made, I can at least accept the reasons for cutting Bombadil.

Thande

Donor
Hmm...well, each to their own, Abdul. In any case he'd only be my second choice after Tom Baker.

I read LOTR shortly after seeing FOTR and understood instantly why Tom Bombadill was left out, he is boring and non sensical. I had to scan through most of that section because it was such bollocks

Actually my choice would have been a young John Hurt.

And PB- though I quite agree with the omission of Bombadil from the film (he's irrelevant to the main plot), I find his sequences strange and compelling.

Trying to put Tom Bombadil in the film is 99% likely to be a mistake. My 1% uncertainty is the posibility Ralph Fiennes could do something fascinating with the role demonstrating once again his versatility.

Tom_B said:
Trying to put Tom Bombadil in the film is 99% likely to be a mistake. My 1% uncertainty is the posibility Ralph Fiennes could do something fascinating with the role demonstrating once again his versatility.

Peter Jackson made no bold casting choices, with the possible exception of Sam. Other than that, everybody was exactly who you expected them to be. Thus, Tom Bombadil would have been Robin Williams or Jim Carey.

Thande

Donor
Mm, never thought of Jim Carey...but I still think Tom Baker would have been best, assuming T.B. could be portrayed on film at all.

If we had a "heaven of film-makers" where you could get any actor at the required age, on second thoughts I'd suggest the best Bombadil might have been Walter Huston. Ever seen THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER/ALL THAT MONEY CAN BUY?

Surely it would have to have been Brian Blessed?? He even comes with his own beard but we would have to turn the volume down a bit :)

Interestingly Tom also got left out of the BBC radio version of many years past

Glen

I think Tom Baker would have made an excellent Tom Bombardil.

I agree overall that omitting him was a reasonable choice for a movie adaptation.

However, I think it might have been worth including a shortened version of the whole Tom Bombardil interlude if it could include the Barrow Wraith section. I think that would have been a worthwhile addition. Also I would have preferred to see the whole willow swallowing hobbits bit there instead of in Fangorn.

Maybe they leave it out of the Theatrical Release, but have it included for the Special Edition.

While we're on alternate versions of LOTR, I'd like them to restore Eowyn's full line when confronting the Witch King, but that is just me....

Thande

Donor
You're not alone Glen!

It would also be nice if they actually TRIED TO SHOW Eowyn pretending to be Dernhelm rather than revealing it to everyone, including Merry, at the start.

And don't tell me there wasn't time -you could cut out that daft unnecessary sequence where Frodo is hanging off the ledge in the Cracks of Doom.

Actually, my favourite part they missed out is the part after the Ring is destroyed, when a cloud of dark smoke materialises in the shape of a Dark Lord as Sauron is manifested - and swats impotently at the army of the West before being blown harmlessly away by the western wind...classic.

my favorite missed part was the scene where, at the Pelennor, Theoden rides out ahead of his men, takes on the Haradrim cavalry damn near alone, and strikes down their king and standard bearer....

Thande

Donor
Yeah, as it was in the movie it seemed like Theoden did sod all before being killed by the Witch-king of Angmar. :mad:

I understand there was a feeling that the audience wouldn't be willing to accept the idea that Eowyn managed to hide her true identity so Jackson did it this way instead. Have to be honest I always found it a weak bit in the book.

Thande said:
It would also be nice if they actually TRIED TO SHOW Eowyn pretending to be Dernhelm rather than revealing it to everyone, including Merry, at the start.

Actually, my favourite part they missed out is the part after the Ring is destroyed, when a cloud of dark smoke materialises in the shape of a Dark Lord as Sauron is manifested - and swats impotently at the army of the West before being blown harmlessly away by the western wind...classic.

For me, the missing bit is a missing character-Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth! Cutting him out was a mistake. I know some people have claimed that he is there but never named-that he might be the leading Gondorian Officer/Noble type who says something along the lines of 'It is as Lord Denethor predicted'-but I don't go with that.

I believe that in an early draft of the script, Tom did have a cameo, very similar to Farmer Maggott-a head and hat bobbing along behind a hedge.

Jason said:
I understand there was a feeling that the audience wouldn't be willing to accept the idea that Eowyn managed to hide her true identity so Jackson did it this way instead. Have to be honest I always found it a weak bit in the book.

For me, the missing bit is a missing character-Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth! Cutting him out was a mistake. I know some people have claimed that he is there but never named-that he might be the leading Gondorian Officer/Noble type who says something along the lines of 'It is as Lord Denethor predicted'-but I don't go with that.

I believe that in an early draft of the script, Tom did have a cameo, very similar to Farmer Maggott-a head and hat bobbing along behind a hedge.

I don't think that a lot of people in Rohan's army knew that "Dernhelm" was Eowyn. Merry (right?) knew she was because she talked to him, but I don't recall anyone else ever finding out. If someone else did, I would expect Theoden to send her home pronto--she was supposed to run Rohan in his absence.

I heard about the Tom-hat-cameo too.

Reinforcements from elsewhere in Gondor not arriving (the Prince from Dol Amroth) was weak, as was Denethor's character. He didn't just think Sauron was going to win, he had a full-blown death wish!