To Reap the Blessings: A Divided America Timeline

1: A Victorious Revolution
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here, I just got an account going and I hope to get a timeline going based on some ideas I've been kicking around. As always, criticism and advice are quite welcome.

~~~~~(+)~~~~~
A Victorious Revolution
John Adams, the first Conductor of the State of Massachusetts, lay on his deathbed. He had held his title for near forty years and it left the nonagenarian a worn, tired man. Finally it had been the death of him, although at ninety Adams had seen more years than most of his compatriots and by far he had done more than almost any. The names of those now long gone fluttered through his mind, the General Washington who died of tuberculosis on a British prison ship, Washington’s fellow Benedict Arnold who won Canada only to die being thrown from his horse a year later, Benjamin Franklin, that great fellow who died from illness, the Virginian Jefferson who died at the hands of an agrarian uprising. Images marched on through his mind of men long past. His wife was with them, now twelve years gone into the arms of the Lord.

Conductor Adams opened his eyes slowly, his eyesight had well faded before he became bedridden but now as he lay halfway into his final sleep it had diminished to the point he was nearly blind. Few of the figures surrounding him were anything more than mere shades, although he knew who they all were. The doctor held his arm, counting his pulse and the only other figure he could make out sat in the chair by the end of his bed; his son John Quincy. The other figures were of course a rabble of the ministers and other high men of the state. Close to his bed was the Conductor’s Lieutenant Marcus Morton, the fifth man to hold the position, and no doubt eager to assume agency in his own right when Adams’ heart finally stilled. Near the window, silhouetted by the morning sun was the young President of the State Assembly, Edward Everett, a proud and excellent speaker who had only assumed his position two weeks prior after his predecessor Luther Lawrence fell into the machinery in one of Lawrence’s mills. The others were the miscellaneous rabble that such men attracted; a clowder of cats lapping from the cream of the state.

No, that was wrong. All these men, perhaps even to some degree his son, were not cats but a wake of vultures hunched over him. All eager to feast on the carrion he would leave behind. The Conductorship was not as powerful as the kleptocrat President of Rhode Island or the King of long-degenerated North Carolina but it held actual power unlike the President of Pennsylvania or Union-Governor of Savannah. Whoever took the position after he died would hold the rudder of Massachusetts for the rest of their life; it was a lofty prize. Not that it would be Adams’ worry of course. Limply he gestured and the doctor leaned in, “Yes, your Excellency?”

“My son” Adams rasped. The doctor sat back and John Quincy leaned forward “has it ended well? Have I done all I could?” John Quincy’s face crunched in slightly but if he responded his Excellency, the Conductor John Adams never heard. His eyes closed for the final time, as he drifted off thinking of more optimistic times five decades hence.

~~~~~(+)~~~~~​

A Brief History of Anglo-America
by Thomas D. Estrada,
published in Oregon, 2025

The opening days of the American Revolution or the British-American War of Independence saw immediate successes for the forces of the fledgling American rebels. Forces under the command of Generals Richard Montgomery and Benedict Arnold would launch a swift campaign to seize Canada from British control. The fall of Quebec City on New Years Eve of 1775 through a narrow victory snatched from the grasping claws of defeat as several times the rebel forces nearly came to defeat. However with the fall of Quebec City, the whole of the Province of Quebec fell under de facto rebel control and while General David Wooster’s governance of the Province would be disastrous, it would ultimately go largely unchallenged until the collapse of the United States.

1776 would see a formal Declaration of Independence by the American rebels, with the now fifteen colonies of the United States, Quebec via occupation and New Scotland joined in revolt with the fall of Quebec City, joining forces in the form of the United States. The debate whether the United States should truly be considered a country or as an alliance according to the “firm league of friendship,” as the Articles of Confederation puts it, is a matter for another time however – two hundred years of debate have not produced a singular answer. Regardless, nominally the fifteen states had successfully gained independence in the short term with remarkably little challenge. A final triumph before the British-American War of Independence began in earnest was the capture of St. Augustine by rebel militia, nominally adding a sixteenth colony to the United States. Only New Scotland would ever properly see representation in the Continental Congress of the United States, with the occupation government of Quebec that was represented in the Continental Congress not being truly representative of the Quebec provincials.

In late summer, the British made the first counterattack against the United States’ rebellion with the invasion of Long Island. Aiming for New York City, the British army quickly seized Long Island and a month later crossed the East River onto Manhattan Island. It was here that the British army achieved a swift victory, rapidly smashing through the forces of the United States and marching into New York City triumphant. Loyalists, with few locations to otherwise flee to, would begin flocking to New York City in droves, ultimately paving the way for the city’s final fate. More destructive to the United States than the fall of New York City was the capture of the popular general, George Washington, which proved to a significant blow to the moral throughout the United States. With their plummeting moral, the armed forces of the United States put up a weak fight against the British as they invaded New Jersey following the capture of New York City.

1777 would be the lowest point in the United States’ rebellion as the British pressed more into New Jersey, crossing the Delaware River into Pennsylvania and menacing the headquarters of the United States’ Continental Congress. A second invasion of the United States would occur in the spring of 1777, with the British army invading Georgia. Small-scale loyalist uprisings would spark during the British “southern campaign,” although the main goal of the southern campaign – to provoke a general loyalist uprising – failed to bring results and would become the longest campaign off the British-American War of Independence. The campaign for Philadelphia on the other hand would finally be stalled in the Battle of Coryell's Ferry, where the United States’ General Horatio Gates held off the advancing British Army.

The Battle of Coryell’s Ferry would not only be successful in preventing the fall off Philadelphia to the British, the successes of the United States’ Continental Army against what was a numerically superior British Army convinced France to join the war against Britain. France had before this point already supplied the United States with three-fourths of its supply of gunpowder, and several French figures such as the Marquis de Lafayette had already fought for the United States but with joining the War, the fight accelerated quite quickly. France launched assaults upon the British Caribbean as the first French troops were brought over to America.

Ever increasing numbers of professional French troops in 1778 eventually let the Franco-American forces challenge the British still occupying New Jersey. General William Howe, commander of the British Army in the northern United States quickly found his forces pressed hard backwards towards New York. Following a disastrous defeat in the Battle of Van Nest’s Mill, Howe would withdraw all the way back to Manhattan Island, preparing for a siege that ultimately never came.

In the southern United States, General Charles Cornwallis was seeing far greater success. The British forces under his command stormed up from their initial conquests in Georgia into South Carolina. Charleston found itself under a brutal siege that finally ended after a fire swept through the city in August. General Cornwallis’ advance finished 1778 less than ten miles from the North Carolinian border, sparking panic in both North Carolina and Virginia about the “unstoppable” advance of Cornwallis’ forces. The commander of the United States’ forces in the south, General Benjamin Lincoln would be recalled after the fall of Charleston and the United States’ premier general, Horatio Gates, would replace him.

As the winter faded into spring of 1779, the British marched north once more. The fears of Cornwallis’ “unstoppable” advance seemed near justified as General Gates too proved unable to halt the British Army’s advance as it converged on North Carolina’s capital, New Bern. With the government of North Carolina fleeing the city only three days ahead of General Cornwallis, the fall of North Carolina seemed inevitable. However after capturing New Bern without a fight, the arrival of French reinforcements allowed the joint French-United States forces to stop Cornwallis’ march north, trapping the British in New Bern between the Neuse River and the United States’ lines. The Siege of New Bern would not have a definitive ending, as events overseas brought the conflict to an abrupt and unexpected end.

The entry of Spain into the British-American War of Independence signaled the downfall of the British war effort. Spanish power had long faded from its heyday, however the Spanish fleet joining forces with the French fleet was critical to French war planning. Having engaged the British in 1778, French Admiral Louis Guillouet, the Comte d'Orvilliers, was convinced that with a larger naval force the British could be defeated even in their home waters. With the Spanish fleet joining, d’Orvilliers hoped to successfully defeat the British and land an actual invasion force on Britain proper. This invasion force was never intended to be a full out attempt to conquer Britain, as is often claimed, but instead a diversionary tactic to draw the British fleet from the rest of the British Empire back to the home waters.

On August 17th, 1779, the joint Franco-Spanish Armada reached its original target, the Isle of Wight. Thirty-thousand French soldiers swiftly seizes the Isle, making it the first time French troops had invaded England since the 1690 attack on Teignmouth. The capture of Wight was, however, of little strategic importance and had the French tried to launch a serious invasion of England it nearly certainly would have failed. It did not need to succeed for the subsequent events. While the British government received relatively accurate reports of the ongoing events, the British papers did not. A thirty-thousand man army invading Wight became a three hundred thousand strong army sacking Portsmouth. Where the French holed up on Wight, taking time to plan out the next offensive, the papers reported an army that was only days away from besieging London. And where the British Army and local militias were swiftly preparing to defend and repel a French invasion from the mainland, the papers reported that the French had already smashed up the local defenders.

Even if what was reported was bunk, it was, unfortunately for the British government, highly convincing bunk. Riots rocked London for two days as demands for peace were made by the opposition to Lord North’s government. It was finally enough to bring the peace party to power in London, toppling the government of Lord North and bringing an end to the British-American War of Independence. Peace had come to North America at last – at least in the short term as the collapse of the United States would begin before the Treaty of Paris would even be signed.

Hello everyone. Unfortunately, the next update is still in the works, but I've got something a little different. As a personal matter, your boy Dale has long had an issue with a stutter and a speech impediment. Currently, I am practicing to speak better, and one thing that goes with it (at least for myself) is just reading as many things aloud as you can.

To serve as practice I'm planning to record myself reading the updates as I post them. My mic isn't the best but if you want to listen along while reading, I'm making the recordings public and the updates will have a link to their respective audio in this post. I know I've just started, so there isn't really any content to be expanding upon as it were, but the idea just struck me that if I was already going to be reading it aloud and recording to listen back myself, I might as well try to make something useful out of it.

2: Downfall
~~~~~(+)~~~~~
Downfall

Thomas Burke, Governor of the State of North Carolina, stood before the General Assembly, preparing to give what would likely be the most important address of his life. The hot North Carolinian sun had turned the room into a blazing forge and sweat glistened from each face that peered back at the Governor. As he wiped at his own with a handkerchief, Burke silently thanked the Almighty for the heat – he was sure to be sweating buckets from nervousness alone and the heat disguised that. All one-hundred and twenty-three members of the Assembly currently in office, eighty-three representatives and forty senators, were in attendance for today. A rarity, even in these troubled times.

Stepping forward, Burke took one more moment, a final tempering of the nerves before beginning.

“Gentlemen, I thank you for assembling today with as little notice as you received. I had prayed that it would be under happy circumstances that we would convene today, but the Fates have played a cruel trick on myself and indeed all of North Carolina.” There was an uneasy murmur from a few Assemblymen. They all knew where Burke was heading with his speech. “I have received a message from our ever so esteemed colleagues in Philadelphia” for all his preparation, Burke could not push down the note of disgust that crawled into the last few worlds, “that there will be no further efforts made by that Congress to provide the promised pay to the soldiers of the Continental Army.”

The jeers and vocalizations of anger and revulsion by the Assemblymen were plain to all listening. Burke had to pause for a moment, waiting for a restoration of order. “Furthermore, those men in Philadelphia have elected to take no action against those members of the Continental Army already in mutiny. Those same mutineers whose rapine and pillage our fair country has become far too acquainted. Those men, insular in Philadelphia, have gone as far to suggest that an action by the ‘National’ government would be ‘one of reckless abandon, throwing away the Peace these United States have won by hasty action against anarchic rebellion.’ Hasty action!” the words, repeated in a nearly shrill tone caught light the minds of even some of the most ardent supporters of the United States. Scores more men, women, children, and property had been killed by these border ruffians than in the so-called Boston Massacre that had gotten the ball moving on Independence in the first place. How many had to die for the Continental Congress to take action? Hundreds? Thousands? To the mind of some, including Governor Burke, the whole of North Carolina would have to be ablaze for action to be suitable to the recalcitrant Congress.

“Richmond too has sent a message to our fair state. They have joined our ‘National’ government in inaction. Governor Jefferson has refused to turn out the Virginian militias to oppose the soldiers in mutiny who have so imperiled our fair land. It is then, despite the protestations of Governor Jefferson, that we are to embark on the course we have already laid out.” Burke paused. There was silence among the Assemblymen. “Verily, Governor Jefferson ought be proud of the course we are bound to take – for to remember his words: ‘it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to affect their Safety and Happiness.’ and it is clear to this government that through inaction, Congress in Philadelphia and our counterparts of Richmond have imperiled the Safety and Happiness of the people of North Carolina.”

There was muted agreement from the most ardent supporters of separation, and many nods from the rest of the Assembly. Burke noted this with satisfaction before continuing. “This body has already resolved to consider separation from the United States before our mission to Philadelphia. I say to you now that separation is necessary for the welfare and safety of the people of North Carolina. Now, Mr. Speaker, I turn the matter over to you.” And with that, Governor Burke returned to his chair as Thomas Benbury, Speaker of the House of Commons of North Carolina, rose to propose the measure for independence. It would be less than an hour before the measure returned to Governor Burke – passed with wide margins by both the Commons and the Senate.

~~~~~(+)~~~~~​

Resolution for the Separation of the State of North Carolina from the United States
  1. Resolved, That whoever directly or indirectly abetted, or in any way, form or manner, countenanced the unchartered and dangerous invasion of our rights, as claimed by the United States, is an enemy to North Carolina and to the inherent and inalienable rights of man.

2. Resolved, That we the citizens of North Carolina, do hereby dissolve the political bands which have connected us to the United States, and abjure all political connection, contract, or association, with that alliance, who have wantonly trampled on our rights and liberties.

3. Resolved, That we do hereby declare ourselves a free and independent people, are, and of right ought to be, a sovereign and self–governing State, under the control of no power other than that of our God and the General Government of the Assembly; to the maintenance of which independence, we solemnly pledge to each other, our mutual co-operation, our lives, our fortunes, and our most sacred honor.

4. Resolved, That as we now acknowledge the existence and control of no law or legal officer, civil or military, within this country, we do hereby ordain and adopt, as a rule of life, all, each and every of our former laws, wherein, nevertheless, the United States never can be considered as holding rights, privileges, immunities, or authority therein.

5. Resolved, That it is also further decreed, that all, each and every military officer in this county, is hereby reinstated to his former command and authority, he acting conformably to these regulations.
Hereto enacted by the House of Commons and the Senate of the State of North Carolina on the Seventeenth of September, in the Year of Our Lord, One-Thousand Seven-Hundred and Eighty-One.

~~~~~(+)~~~~~​

A Brief History of Anglo-America
by Thomas D. Estrada,
published in Oregon, 2025

The two years between the suit for peace from Britain and the signing of the Treaty of Paris were both quiet and of relative import for the fate of North America. The Continental Army, through whose effort the United States secured the North American continent from the border of Labrador to the tip of East Florida, found itself furloughed in New Jersey and North Carolina unpaid. The lack of pay was damning for the common Continental soldier – most racked up considerable debt serving in the Continental Army and risked imprisonment if they received no pay. Disgruntled from their treatment, the mood in the Continental Army’s camps was mutinous when the first rumours of a treaty reached North America.

Fearing the Army would be disbanded without pay if a treaty was signed, a clique of officers of the Continental Army would send an ultimatum to the Congress in Philadelphia. Either pay the soldiers or else “disaster” would strike.

Congress called the Officer Clique’s bluff.

The Continental Army rose in mutiny against the United States. Demanding their pay, the Continental Army in New Jersey “to demonstrate their conviction” marched on Burlington, one of the two state capitals of New Jersey. Governor William Livingston was captured, and the Mutineers seized control of the state, holding the Governor and legislature ransom. Genuine panic seized the Congress in Philadelphia and a resolution to amend the Articles of Confederation to permit limited taxation to pay the Mutineers off was put before Congress. It failed as Rhode Island vetoed the measure.

In North Carolina, the Continental Army contingent stationed near New Bern also rose in mutiny. After paying off North Carolinian soldiers by ensuring the State would provide the pay promised if Congress failed, the Mutineers were turned out of North Carolina by the North Carolinian Militia. Fleeing into Virginia, the Mutineers would become bandits, barely operating in Virginia but frequently crossing the border into North Carolina and raiding. The worst incident during the “Border War” as North Carolinians called it was the sacking of Murfree's Landing which saw nearly 100 men, women, children and slaves massacred. Outraged at the sacking of Murfree’s Landing, the North Carolinian General Assembly issued an ultimatum, demanding that Congress and Virginia take action – any action – against the mutineers.

With the vetoing of the law to collect taxes, Congress could take significant action, and fearing the expansion of the raiding into Virginia, the Virginian government refused action hoping Congress would find pay for the Mutineers and end the conflict. Outraged at the lack of action as North Carolinians were being killed, the Government of North Carolina announced its withdrawal from the United States on September 17th, 1781. Some debate exists over the nature of the withdrawal, as many historians consider the action as more of a protest against Congressional inaction but some evidence does exist that the government of North Carolina had been in communication with the governments of South Carolina and Georgia for a period of time prior to the North Carolinian withdrawal about forming a “stronger Republic” of the three states united together. Regardless of the plans made by the North Carolinian government, North Carolina’s withdrawal was the beginning of the total breakdown by the United States.

Three days prior to North Carolina’s withdrawal, the Mutineers crossed the Delaware River, marching on Congress. Unlike when the British marched on Philadelphia, there was no hope of stopping the approaching army and Congress fled to Baltimore. It was not a perfect flight, and when Congress reassembled in Baltimore it lacked quorum. Congress would never achieve quorum either, until it passed its final act of self-termination in 1784. The Treaty of Paris would finally come to Congress to sign after its flight to Baltimore, but lacking quorum it was unable to ratify the Treaty. North Carolina would ratify the Treaty of Paris following negotiations with the British and French in 1782, becoming the first North American state to do so. Frustration on the part of the British and French over the failure of the United States to ratify the Treaty of Paris, as well as concerns that the fragments of the United States would fall under the sway of one of their rival counterpart saw both Britain and France begin to try and gain influence over the individual states. The scheming off Britain and France for influence would have a measurable affect on the collapse of the United States.

On January 1st, 1782, Georgia and South Carolina too would leave the United States; potentially in compact with North Carolina, the two states withdrew together and united to form the Union of Carolina and Georgia. The withdrawal was born both out of a lack off land borders with the rest of the United States after North Carolina’s withdrawal and general discontent over the weakness of the United States government. North Carolina would be invited to join the UCG and the General Assembly of North Carolina voted on the matter, however the House of Commons of North Carolina rejected the proposal by two votes. After North Carolina’s rejection, the UCG would be renamed to the Union of Savannah. While under populated in the west, Savannah would begin to maneuver to secure West Florida to secure access to the Mississippi.

No other state would withdraw from the United States through 1782, however as the United States’ Congress continued to fail to ratify the Treaty of Paris, Britain and France begin laying more influence over the various states to secure influence in the decaying United States. It was Britain who pulled the coup de grace against the United States and French influence. The Continental Army’s mutiny continued through 1782 and by 1783, Mutineers launched incursions into New York and New England. New York was in disarray however in New England a more unified response followed through against the Mutineers. This military unity, along with a growing anxiety over the failure of the Congress led to representatives of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Scotland and Rhode Island assembling in Boston for the explicit purpose of investigating the option of forming a New English Union out of the five states. Goaded on by British agents who promised to grant New England favored nation trading status while darkly alluding to “consequences” that could arise if the Treaty of Paris wasn’t signed by the New English states, the Boston Convention would see the rise of the Confederate States of New England on October 23rd, 1783.

The CSNE was in many ways, simply a smaller United States. The CSNE’s Confederate Constitution barely provided the federal government any more power than the United States’ Congress possessed although the smaller number of states, coupled with more aligned political interests, allowed the CSNE to function more smoothly until the New English Peasant’s War shattered the nascent Confederacy. Heavily mercantile and dominated by plutocratic pro-British interests, the successful lure of New England into the British sphere of influence was seen by contemporary London and Paris as quite the prize although history proved that New England was a quite sublime white elephant compared to the rest of North America. The CSNE’s break with the United States also provoked a revolt in Quebec as the native Quebecois had grown to hate the government of General Daniel Wooster. Overthrowing Wooster, the newly proclaimed Free State of Quebec would be the only former state of the United States to effectively balance on the razor’s edge of neutrality between British and French influence, securing trade agreements with Britain while simultaneously leveraging common origins with France to secure a steady trickle of Francophonic settlers to settle Quebec’s underpopulated forests.

With the withdrawal of New England, the United States now had only six represented states left: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. The two Floridas were, while territory of the United States, not represented. At first glance, this should have made the matter easier as achieving quorum and aligning the interest of the many disparate states was what had led to a supermajority of the states withdrawing since 1781. It was not so however, the larger three states – Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York were now acting with an openly domineering attitude towards their smaller partners. Pennsylvania alone had largely fought off the Mutineers by 1784, however in New Jersey and Delaware where Mutineers had occupied only months before, Pennsylvanian troops were now present and proving very unwilling to go home. Both Pennsylvania and Virginia were interested in securing influence over Maryland for the smaller state’s control of the northern end of the Potomac and Chesapeake Bay.

On June 14th, delegations to Congress from all six states would finally meet, achieving quorum for the first time in over two years. In an informal meeting that night, the six delegations would come to an agreement that would be enacted the next day. June 15th, the ides of June are not as famous as the ides of March, but on that day the Congress of the Confederation of the United States through unanimous agreement of the delegates represented amended the Articles of Confederation for the last time, dissolving the United States and delegating the entity to the dustbin of history after less than eight years of existence.

Also, here's some flags for the newly sovereign countries. Not all of these are official or adopted instantly upon Independence, but all shown here will be adopted by the end of the decade. Virginia and West Florida won't have flags present at this time.

Reap_Quebec.png

Based on this painting.
Reap_New_England.png

OTL Flag of New England, unchanged.
Reap_New_York.png

OTL New York, unchanged.
Reap_Pennsylvania.png

IOTL the original flag of Pennsylvania was just the coat of arms on a field. What color of field was never specified, and red is listed as one option in some of my sources.
Reap_Maryland.png

If I understand correctly, this banner was used in the American Revolution IOTL.
Reap_North_Carolina.jpg

Based on a supposed flag from OTL Revolution. Is it real, I don't know, but it's not the best if you ask me. Even if you remove the text, it's still quite off. The dates are the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence and the break with the United States.
reap-savannah.png

Based on the Moultrie flag of South Carolina and some Georgian regimental colors with two six-pointed stars for the two states added.
reap-east-florida.png

A mis-mash of two OTL filibuster flags from East Florida. The text according to Wikipedia means "the good of the people is the highest law."

The Conductorship was not as powerful as the kleptocrat President of Rhode Island or the King of long-degenerated North Carolina but it held actual power unlike the President of Pennsylvania or Union-Governor of Savannah.
I doubt that any American state, even if independent, would institute a lifetime executive or , God forbid, a monarchy. The ideals of republicanism and defiance of authority are just to strong.

I doubt that any American state, even if independent, would institute a lifetime executive or , God forbid, a monarchy. The ideals of republicanism and defiance of authority are just to strong.
There will be more details on the Conductorship in the next update, but it's origins aren't as the head of state of Massachusetts, it's created as a very limited position to compliment the Governor and rest of the executive body during a time of internal strife. The office of the Conductor assumes power over time under Adams' tenure as things go south for the plutocratic government of Massachusetts. Even by Adams' death, it's not a direct replacement for the Governorship and the powers of the Conductorship largely lean on Gubernatorial or Legislative support. A lot more will be explained in the next update though, which is more focused on New England and the rise of more oligarchic governments in the region.

As for North Carolina, well, the actual Kingship is a recent invention by the time of the flash-forward and King John of North Carolina came to power in a Napoleon-esque coup and rules via military dictatorship. More will be explained in time too, but North Carolina represents the extreme end of the fading allure of Republicanism in North America by the 1810s as a new generation comes to its own in a more unstable time.

Also, it might be jumping the shark a pinch, I do see your point on the matter, but I am basing some of TTL on the idea of the former United States tracking in a similar manner to Latin America. The ideals of the early Independence period do not really survive in many states after a few decades.

Did the Confederate States of New England dissolve at some point?
Not yet, but it isn't long for this world either. The next few updates will focus closer in on the various regions, and the next tells the whole story of the CSNE and aftermath.

EDIT: I've planned a lot of this timeline out so far and have made maps for the next few decades. Just in case you all would like to get a sense of how things broke down, this map is from 1789 and shows the borders after some of the initial shuffling around ends. I haven't done one for 1784 because some things are still in flux.

NA1789.jpg

Last edited:
Not yet, but it isn't long for this world either. The next few updates will focus closer in on the various regions, and the next tells the whole story of the CSNE and aftermath.

EDIT: I've planned a lot of this timeline out so far and have made maps for the next few decades. Just in case you all would like to get a sense of how things broke down, this map is from 1789 and shows the borders after some of the initial shuffling around ends. I haven't done one for 1784 because some things are still in flux.

That’s disappointing. I always like seeing threads with New England being independent. Will New York pursue their claims on Vermont?

I got an interesting idea. Namely the Louisiana territory gaining independence at some point.

Still keenly awaiting more.