TLIAW: She Who Must Be Obeyed

Friday, November 15, 1963. 12:33 p.m.
As the limousine entered Dealey Plaza, three shots were fired from the Texas School Book Depository. Two of them missed. The third struck the left side of President Kennedy’s throat, severing the carotid artery.

The President died on the scene. Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested and, following a failed attempt by Jack Ruby to assassinate him in turn, tried, convicted and sentenced to death.

And America had its first woman president…

477px-Helen_Gahagan_Douglas.jpg

She Who Must Be Obeyed
The Presidency of Helen Gahagan Douglas
a TLIAW by Lycaon pictus

So, this is a TLIAW.
Yeah.

So what’s the PoD?
Well, the real PoD is in 1925, but the major effects don’t really start to kick in until 1950.

1925? And Oswald still assassinates Kennedy?
Well, yeah, that is a little hard on the butterflies. Call it artistic license.

Is it President Douglas, or President Gahagan Douglas?
President Gahagan Douglas.

Oh god… she’s gonna be a total Mary Sue President, isn’t she?
Well, she won’t make the same mistakes that were made IOTL, but some of her decisions will have… unintended consequences.

Shouldn’t you be working on The Dead Skunk? It’s taken you 42 pages to move the story forward six and a half years.
Yeah. Sorry about that.

Or The Day The Icecap Died? You won a Turtledove for that!
Working on it.

Or the sequel to that novel you published? Or finishing that other novel you tried to write for NaNoWriMo? Or the Reenie the Giant stor-
ARRRGH SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP

So what in particular can we look forward to in this TL?
Old folks having sex.

I… really don’t know what to say to that.
Mission accomplished.

Friday, November 15, 1963. 12:33 p.m.
As the limousine entered Dealey Plaza, three shots were fired from the Texas School Book Depository. Two of them missed. The third struck the left side of President Kennedy’s throat, severing the carotid artery.

The President died on the scene. Lee Harvey Oswald was arrested and, following a failed attempt by Jack Ruby to assassinate him in turn, tried, convicted and sentenced to death.

And America had its first woman president…

A female President? In 1963? That would be interesting; certainly, I would think that most Western and Northern liberals and many moderates would be respectful of her.....but the conservatives and many Southerners in general(especially the damned Dixiecrats), I'd be worried about; no doubt that many of the less charitable amongst them would be attacking her as "too emotional", or with any other sexist stereotype they can think of.

Edit: Never mind, I guess. Helen Douglas? the Senator from Calif.? Now that would be interesting. :cool:

Senator Douglas?

Well, must had defeated Nixon, which means that he's relegated to the trash bin of history - or eventually becomes House minority leader. Still be quite a feat to be nominated VP unless she made quite a name for herself in the Fifties or she and JFK had some sort of unholy alliance

1. The Road to Number One Observatory

In politics, having the right enemies can be as important as having the right friends.

Which made it very surprising that the newly-elected Senator Gahagan Douglas chose, in 1951, to begin locking horns with Senator Joseph McCarthy. One of her first acts in office was to add her signature to Sen. Margaret Chase Smith’s “Declaration of Conscience.” She defended the Voice of America when its employees were under attack, and never missed an opportunity to remind the listeners that in McCarthy’s accusations of Communist influence in government, he rarely gave the same number twice. “205! 57! 81! Where is he getting them — fortune cookies?” she said at one point. To most people, it appeared that Gahagan Douglas, who had defeated the ineffectual campaign by Raymond Darby to win the California seat after six years in the House of Representatives, was fighting well out of her political weight class.

Indeed, for the first few years she found herself not only at odds with McCarthy and Mundt, but with her fellow Democrat, Sen. Kennedy of Massachusetts, a staunch anti-communist himself whose family was friends with McCarthy and who personally disliked and distrusted the Stevenson wing of the Democratic party. It was well known that as late as 1953, he was searching for candidates to run against her in ’56 — and not just among Democrats.

But in ’54 McCarthy self-destructed. His accusation of Communist infiltration of the Army Signal Corps brought forth the counteraccusation that McCarthy and his aide, Roy Cohn, had pulled strings on behalf of a private in the army. Over the course of the hearing, the loose accusations and paranoia-mongering that McCarthy had made his stock in trade became too obvious to ignore. He was censured by the Senate in December. (Kennedy had been spared the awkwardness of having to choose a side by an attack of Addison’s disease which left him hospitalized.)

In 1960, the Democrats nominated John Fitzgerald Kennedy for the presidency. The young and charismatic Kennedy captured the imaginations of voters, but many were concerned by his relative lack of experience. Kennedy approached Senate Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson and offered him the vice-presidency. But Johnson, believing that he could accomplish more where he was, declined the office and recommended that Kennedy choose Helen Gahagan Douglas, a senator with whom Johnson had had a close relationship. (Very close.) Gahagan Douglas, an unabashed liberal who had served in Congress since 1945, brought both the experience of an old political hand and the novelty of being the first woman on a presidential ticket in American history. It also signaled that the feud between them was well and truly over. (Collegiality is prized in the Senate — although Johnson and Gahagan Douglas may have taken it to extremes.)

Both TV and radio listeners agree that Kennedy won the debates against Vice President Stassen. (Gahagan Douglas was never given the opportunity to debate Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr.) In part due to Johnson’s campaigning for the Democratic ticket in Texas, the election, on November 8, 1960, was a solid victory for Kennedy and Gahagan Douglas, who won 51.8% of the vote and 374 electoral votes. The third-party vote and faithless electors in the South, however, would be a warning of things to come.

TLIAW image.png

Japhy

Banned
I'm interested in the concept. I'd have thought that something along the lines of a JFK/Eugene McCarthy ticket might have been a bit more likely if one has the left of the party really going nuts by 1960 or Adlai Stevenson comes a hair away from actually taking the convention via the floor. That said, Helen Douglas is probably even further left than Gene, and has all that fun stuff with the Communists back in the day. Certainly should be interesting to see how things go, especially if Lyndon Johnson is still on the hill to try and force things in her favor.

Any guesses before the next update who she might pick for VP?

Would be funny if it was Paul Douglas :)

But what about Stu Symington?

Japhy

Banned
I am thinking ASB.

Anything else to add to that Paul? I dont see why under the right circumstances a woman couldn't have a chance of being a Vice Presidential nominee in 1960. If its a matter of ideology, Kennedy certainly could be precised as being as to the right as he actually was.

Its not like Golda Mier, Indira Ghandi, or Song Qingling didn't assume leadership roles in Israel, India and the PRC in the 1960's. It would be a big splash but its still Kennedy running against Harold Stassen.

Any guesses before the next update who she might pick for VP?

Would be funny if it was Paul Douglas :)

But what about Stu Symington?

At the time the post would have remained vacant until the next election, so there's a whole year to go before that question needs to be answered.

"At the time the post would have remained vacant until the next election, so there's a whole year to go before that question needs to be answered."

Duh, I should had realized that, knowing that LBJ served without a VP until Humphrey was sworn in

Last edited:
This is great. Far-fetched? Sure, but what great timeline isn't?!

(OK, there are a lot of highly plausible great timelines, but my point is: I'll overlook the slight discrepancies with plausibility because it still seems pretty realistic and the story is destined to be very, very great!)

Thank God I only have to wait a week to see the end.

2. Taking the Reins

Gahagan Douglas’ tenure as vice-president was not eventful. The president made a point of keeping her informed, at least in matters of domestic policy, and assigned her arguably important tasks such as heading the President’s Committee on Equal Employment Opportunities and the National Aeronautics Space Council. Her influence on policy in most areas, however, was minimal. As president of the Senate, she continued to work closely with Johnson, but it was obvious to all that true power remained with the leader of the Democratic caucus.

And then, of course, she was called upon to lead the nation.

The one area where she had kept been out of the loop was foreign policy, and in particular U.S. policy in Indochina. Like everyone else, she knew that Ngô Dình Diêm had been overthrown and killed in a coup not long before Kennedy’s assassination. But it was not until she was briefed by Dean Rusk on November 18 that she learned that Kennedy, disgusted by Diêm for allowing his brother Nhu to use U.S.-trained Vietnamese forces to attack Buddhists rather than fight the Viet Cong, had essentially directed the U.S. ambassador to South Vietnam (none other than her old rival Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr.) to give the ARVN his blessing to eliminate Diêm if Nhu was not removed from power — which he wasn’t.

Her feelings on the matter were reportedly mixed. Gahagan Douglas had despised Diêm as much as anyone and had been glad to see the last of him, but it did not give her confidence in the stability of South Vietnam to know that the army needed no more prompting than a wink and a nod to overthrow and kill the leader of the nation. After reading the various reports and listening to the widely varying opinions of Kennedy’s advisers — who were now, of course, her advisers — the president reached a decision. She would go ahead with Kennedy’s withdrawal of 1,000 personnel from Vietnam as described in National Security Memorandum 263. However, if South Vietnam could demonstrate political stability and respect for human rights over the next year, the United States would continue to support it. Otherwise, Saigon was on its own. “I don’t expect it to become Canada,” she said. “I just want to know that this country we’re protecting won’t collapse of its own accord.”

As it turned out, South Vietnam could not even demonstrate political stability for two full months. The general who overthrew Diêm was in turn overthrown by another general in January and tried to retake power in April, resulting in ten days of street fighting in downtown Saigon — a civil war within the war.[1] At this point, the president decided to pull out the remaining advisers and leave South Vietnam to its fate.

Not many outside the foreign policy establishment paid much attention. Although the defense of the free (or at least noncommunist) world remained a high priority, their attention was on Europe, the Middle East, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. Vietnam was a low priority.[2]

Nonetheless, there were those who tried to make an issue of it. Barry Goldwater, the Republican nominee for president in 1964, was among the loudest to accuse Gahagan Douglas of being soft on communism. He chose Congressman Walter Judd, a Cold War hawk and China expert[3], for his running mate. The fact that China successfully tested a nuclear weapon even as South Vietnam was losing ground to the Viet Cong seemed to bolster his case that Gahagan Douglas had underestimated the threat in the Far East.

In its sheer nastiness, the ’64 election is often seen as the first modern campaign. Although Gahagan Douglas and her running mate, Stuart Symington, tended to keep their criticisms of Goldwater to matters of policy, her supporters were not so restrained, hinting with varying degrees of subtlety that the senator had an itchy trigger finger where nuclear weapons were concerned. (The most famous example of this was, of course, the notorious “jump rope” ad.) Some of them would literally question his sanity in ways that a court would later find libelous. And it must be said that Goldwater himself, with his motto of “Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice,” did nothing to convince the public it was safe to vote for him — particularly when Gahagan Douglas, during the foreign-policy debate, was able to maneuver him into a concession that, yes, he did believe tactical nuclear weapons could have been used in Vietnam.[4]

One new factor in the election was the increasing support for the GOP among white Southerners, as a result of the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Goldwater was the beneficiary of this not because, although he opposed segregation in principle, he regarded federal involvement in the fight against it as a cure worse than the disease. In spite of this, Gahagan Douglas won one of the great landslide victories of American political history, with 57% of the vote and 460 electoral votes.

The lesson the president had learned from Vietnam was to beware of allies who might turn out to be liabilities. In 1965, she put this lesson to use.

[1] Not quite how it went down IOTL, but I figure butterflies make it possible.
[2] Another butterfly worth mentioning: no Gulf of Tonkin incident.
[3] In 1960 the Republicans, while doing worse overall compared to OTL, did better in Minnesota because of Stassen’s home-state advantage. As a result, Congressman Judd’s district wasn’t redistricted out from under him.
[4] IOTL, Goldwater said something similar in May of 1964 — but not during a general-election debate.

TLIAW image 2.png

Last edited:
Intriguing. Though Vietnam may have been brushed off a little too easily, you've made it seem plausible. I'll keep reading and anticipating the updates; thankfully my taste for more will be quenched by week's end. :D

I thought she would lose more of the South. I also thought this would be another time when Terry Sanford would get to be Vice President.