TL: The Haitian Renaissance

I recently took a course that went over the Haitian Revolution in great detail. At it's conclusion I felt almost sick at the way Haiti's fate was sealed by the machinations of outside forces. The thing about Haiti is that it was hated by everyone around it. It was not allowed to succeed. In that regard, a positive Haitian independence scenario would not only be something great, in my eyes, it would also be right in terms of 'right and wrong.'

It is unfortunately not plausible with a POD in the actual revolution. There is almost no way that the United States would ally with Haiti. That being one of many issues.

I recently took a course that went over the Haitian Revolution in great detail. At it's conclusion I felt almost sick at the way Haiti's fate was sealed by the machinations of outside forces. The thing about Haiti is that it was hated by everyone around it. It was not allowed to succeed. In that regard, a positive Haitian independence scenario would not only be something great, in my eyes, it would also be right in terms of 'right and wrong.'

It is unfortunately not plausible with a POD in the actual revolution. There is almost no way that the United States would ally with Haiti. That being one of many issues.

Appreciate the feedback.
I must stress though there is 0 alliance with the US.

America has only chosen to monopolize the exportation of Haitian Sugar and all they have committed to is securing the trade lines. An opportunity for them to corner the Caribbean Sugar production which is a boon for young struggling USA.

Haiti is alone, just like it was in 1805 when Dessalines and Henri invaded, in this war.

That being said admittedly it can seem ASB given the way I didnt go in too much detail on the negotiation (I need to cut back on my writing any way :confused:) but I definitely think a liberal (non-authoritarian) haiti, with a mixed race liberal junta could swing a trade deal with the Jefferson administration, especially considering a revaluation of their treatment of the white Haitians.

And again, that's all it is, just trade.

Last edited:
It's dubious but not fully asb, so I see a small chance for things to work out like this otl. And if it has a chance to work otl, then its safe for the timeline:).

Oh and FYI :)

Please feel free to share you thoughts on the actual pros I'm using in this timeline.

Would you like less character stuff more geo-political stuff?

Is it a good balance right now?

Or (shutter) do you want less geo-political stuff and more character driven storylines?

Oh and FYI :)

Please feel free to share you thoughts on the actual pros I'm using in this timeline.

Would you like less character stuff more geo-political stuff?

Is it a good balance right now?

Or (shutter) do you want less geo-political stuff and more character driven storylines?

I personally would like more geo-political stuff! :)

Same here, the narrative stuff can wait until the butterflies are fully fleshed out, like in age of miracles. Except for the council of leaders. Their narratives are important.

Deleted member 67076

The whole massacring the Dominicans is ASB. Kerversau was a jackass but he wasn't an idiot, much less Ferrand. He realized he needed them as a tax base to support the French troops. And the minute he'd authorize that general Ferrand would have moved in and coup'd. Ferrand was always more popular than Kerversau and I can't just see him not doing anything.

Second, how does Haiti have the logistics to feed all those men? The armies after Boyer rarely had more than 5,000 men and plenty of those men were on average lost to disease and lacked even basic guns.

Truth be told Im not sure how the casualties for the Haitian sode are so low. Realistically around a third of that army would be lost to disease and such, followed by heavy losses and pyrric victories against fortified and better trained French troops in very defensible terrain.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole massacring the Dominicans is ASB. Kerversau was a jackass but he wasn't an idiot, much less Ferrand. He realized he needed them as a tax base to support the French troops. And the minute he'd authorize that general Ferrand would have moved in and coup'd. Ferrand was always more popular than Kerversau and I can't just see him not doing anything.

Second, how does Haiti have the logistics to feed all those men? The armies after Boyer rarely had more than 5,000 men and plenty of those men were on average lost to disease and lacked even basic guns.

Truth be told Im not sure how the casualties for the Haitian sode are so low. Realistically around a third of that army would be lost to disease and such, followed by heavy losses and pyrric victories against fortified and better trained French troops in very defensible terrain.

All of this should be noted and approached/fixed.

Plausibility post is forth coming tomorrow.

Also, did you read any thing other than small pyrric victories? Because I didn't write anything else :)

And please remember, in the mind of 19th century Haitians, any violence regardless if it's just a small internal clamp down or something bigger, their gunna view as a French massacre, or at least vocalize it as such.

For example, consider how Iran potrays US action in Iraq. War crime this, genocide that... it's all subjective to who telling the story and so far, you've only heard the Haitian side.

If you read what I've wrote, why do you think they havn't discovered any massacre taking place? Maybe information had been over stated..

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

And please remember, in the mind of 19th century Haitians, any violence regardless if it's just a small internal clamp down or something bigger, their gunna view as a French massacre, or at least vocalize it as such.

For example, consider how Iran potrays US action in Iraq. War crime this, genocide that... it's all subjective to who telling the story and so far, you've only heard the Haitian side.
Mhm, fair enough on this part. Be that as it may, I do think if Kerversau has started his OTL levels of oppression with his larger army, the guy would be coup'd just a fast, if not even more so.
If you read what I've wrote, why do you think they havn't discovered any massacre taking place? Maybe information had been over stated..
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.

As well, I'm still confused as to the logistics of fielding such a large army considering the historical situation, even if most are militiamen and would be more or less levies at war for a season or 2.

Mhm, fair enough on this part. Be that as it may, I do think if Kerversau has started his OTL levels of oppression with his larger army, the guy would be coup'd just a fast, if not even more so.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.

As well, I'm still confused as to the logistics of fielding such a large army considering the historical situation, even if most are militiamen and would be more or less levies at war for a season or 2.

Your first point is fair. I just believe that given Kerversau's OTL oppression of the Dominican people, if troops had indeed moved toward the border, he would have no problem cracking down on the threat of internal dissent in prep for a defensive war with Haiti, quiting down a coup attempt in the process.

Regarding the militamen though (and ill talk about this in my plausibility post later), a 1794 census placed around 500k black freedmen in the Republic of Haiti.

Now while the forces that participated in the two official insurrection were only in the 5000 -> 15000 range in totality, militia forces were indeed mobilized to assist as nothing more than bullet fodder.

(over 90k blacks died in the first two insurrection for example)

Following this ATL, the levies raised were again drawn from this disorganized pool and have only been mobilized for about a month.

I'd argue Dessalines would have done the same if he hadn't already sanctioned most of the black populace off to work back on the plantations by 1805.

Now the long term effects of this mass levy, coupled with the disease, lack of planning, etc. will be covered in the next chapt :)

Keep the feedback coming though, it helps me make the timeline better (more accurate)

Plausability Post: Part I

Plausibility Post: Part I

I said this is Part 1 because I assume that I will making a few more of these as the TL goes on :)

That being said...

1. The American - Haiti Trade Agreement

The agreement listed in “Geopolitical Happenings Part 1” is not an alliance. I repeat,

there is no alliance between the United States of America and The Republic of Haiti.

Rather, the agreement is solely a result of the market and diplomatic forces at hand in the early 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_of_Thomas_Jefferson

Jefferson was at first, a nominal supporter of the 1802 slave insurrection in Haiti. He even went so far as to allow contraband goods and arms to Haiti, in addition to refusing financial credit to France. This was one of the critical factors that aided to the successful overthrow of the French by 1804, the point of divergence in the TL. This, coupled with Jefferson’s famous disgust with the slave trade…quoted here saying:

With the upcoming expiration of the 20-year ban on Congressional action on the subject, Jefferson, a lifelong enemy of the slave trade, called on Congress to criminalize the international slave trade, calling it "violations of human rights which have been so long continued on the unoffending inhabitants of Africa, and which the morality, the reputation, and the best interests of our country have long been eager to proscribe."
I believe that with the right approach, in addition to a ruling LIBERAL, mixed race government, rapprochement with the United States vis-a-vi trade right would indeed be plausible.
However, upon deeper analysis of the situation in congress, I will me making a correction in the actual results of the agreement by the next geopolitical chapter. While Jefferson was indeed an idealist who I still believe would have been open to such a strong trade agreement, the congress would admittedly outright refuse, and this will be amended next chapter.

2. The Haitian Army

Census data circa 1791 places around 500,000 black slaves in Haiti.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Revolution
As seen here, it again is estimated that out of the Haitian population, between 1791 – 1804 about 200,000 – 300,0000 of these same slaves (free men at the time) died.
So that being said, that places the amount of freemen at the time of this ATL’s mass levy around
300,000 – 200,000.

Taking into account age, gender and battle readiness, I argue that mobilizing around only 85,000 is indeed plausible.
ALSO, as seen in the source I linked above, the original slave insurrection of 1791, disorganized and pervasive, much like this ATL’s militia army is quoted to have been around 100,000.

Compare that to the 1802 -1804 insurrection, lead in part by a smaller yet more organized efficient militia army, the link here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vertières states that at least at the deciding Battle of Vertières, around 27,000 Haitian professional-ish soldiers took part and won.

So yes readers, I’d argue is very plausible to again call up the “reserves” so to speak and mobilize an anti-French militia near 100,000, just like in 1791 and still be able to buttress them with a smaller more organized battle-hardened veteran army as well in prep for an invasion of French Hispaniola.

3. The Haitian Liberal Coup

Has been brought by you guys yet, but since I felt I didn’t go into much detail in the first chapter, I think it’s important to defend its plausibility since it IS the PoD.

In Janurary, 1804, Dessalines had thrown Napoleonic France out of the nation by force. To the public, he was the hero of Haiti, trumping even the status of L’Ourveture in the eyes of many.

However, as seen here, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Jacques_Dessalines , Dessalines position was tenable at best.

Upon declaring himself General-Governor For life by October of the year, Dessalines had made enemies of liberal mixed-race individuals such as Alexandre Pétion, which is who the current head of The Republic of Haiti is modeled after.

In fact, after the real assassination of Dessalines, Alexandre and his liberal clique were drawn in a civil conflict against Henri (who in 1806 declared himself King of Haiti). Both men split the country in two with Henri ruling as an Autocrat in the North and Alexandre ruling as an elected official in the south.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Pétion

As it relates to this TL, the central PoD is just that the liberals had been more decisive in subterfuge and Dessalines declared himself General Governor for Life a few months earlier, both of which are very plausible.
However, Alexandre’s character, who unlike Henri, was not purged in the subsequent ATL coup will make his appearance later.

4. Kerversau's (French Military Governor) Massacre

For those who don’t know, Kerversau was one of several military governors stationed in Hispaniola during the Napoleonic period. Both him, and another notorious French leader, Viscount Rochambeau, both were adherents to the theory of extreme brutality in terms of colonial governance and warfare. In fact, is noted here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donatien-Marie-Joseph_de_Vimeur,_vicomte_de_Rochambeau that it was Rochambeau’s war crimes against the Haitian people served as the glue to forge the Haitian national identity. Though Rochambeau was eventually defeated by Dessalines, General Kerversau remained station on the island and proceeded to lead French Santo Domingo in a similar fashion.

Seen here,

is said that he grew a significant distaste for the Dominican people due to his experience with their disorganization and cowardice when called to fight in the 1802 insurrection.

Also, as seen here

prior to L’Ouverture’s capture and exile, Kerversau had staunchly opposed his alleged plans to conquer Santo-Domingo and unite it along with Haiti.
So, I again believe its plausible that with these two psychological sticking points, combined with the threat of Haitian invasion of the Santo Domingo that Kerversau would have re-acted violent to strength the internal position of the French in east Hispaniola.

However, given that his associate Ferrad did share a very popular based in Santo Domingo, I will make note of the effect that his ATL actions have on his position as Governor in the next chapter.

5. Economic Plans and War Reparations

As per plausibility point 3, Alexandre, who Jean the main guy is modeled after, exacted extremely similar economic plans while President of the Southern Republic of Haiti in 1806.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Pétion
Pétion seized commercial plantations from the rich gentry. He had the land redistributed to his supporters and the peasantry, earning him the nickname Papa Bon-Cœur ("good-hearted father"). The land seizures and changes in agriculture reduced the production of commodities for the export economy. Most of the population became full subsistence farmers, and exports and state revenue declined sharply, making survival difficult for the new state.

Are there any other post of plausibility that I missed? Your feedback is critical to me making this TL as accurate and realistic as possible so let me know :)

Last edited:

haitian_revolution.jpg

Haitian Re-Unification of Hispaniola Part 2

“When war is declared, truth is the first casualty.”

Indeed, the war that was launched under the pretense of righteous liberation, had by day 4 transformed into a quagmire.

Though nominal gains had been made in the first few days of the war, specifically the largely rural, unpopulated mountainous regions of the Hispaniola-Centro being seized out right by Haitian militia forces, the large key colonial centers of Santiago, Porta-Plata, La Vega, and the capital Santo Domingo remained in French hands.

Andre Dupart, leader of the Haitian Army had hoped to sweep the French out of the North coast, but had become hopelessly bogged down outside of Porta-Plata and then Santiago.

The third army militia corps, split off as a diversionary force was able to sweep unchallenged across southern Hispaniola capturing the several small coastal towns and villages. Yet, upon advancing on an entrenched French garrison in the village of Bali, they were thrown back to the city of Azura.

Dupart, who hoped to draw the French out into the tropical jungle terrain he knew his militiamen would thrive in, frustratingly couldn't stoke a French counter attack.

By day 7, Dupart sent word back to the Port-Au-Prince, informing the New Tree of Liberty Committee of the situation.

We need artillery if we are to break this defensive lock”, said committee speaker Alexandre Petion as he read Dupart’s army status report aloud.

“Our position is hopeless if we cannot take one of the key cities.”
The chamber immediately turned to Jean. .

“Where are the shipments from the American trade agreement” cried one of the members.

“Where are the fruits of our Treaty!”

Maximilen, who only hours before had received a letter, hand signed by President Thomas Jefferson, informing him that the US Congress would not be going forward with agreement, knew he must admit to the session that US aid should not be expected.

“Gentlemen, the Americans are not coming.” Jean admitted to the bickering committee chamber. “We are truly alone in this war. The US Congress has refused to ratify the treaty.

Speaker Alexandre Petion stood up.

“I doubt there was a treaty in the first place,” he sarcastically retorted.
“Really Jean, must we continue this charade?”

Sounds of laughter filled the chamber.

Does this man, who has not only made us a diplomatic laughing stock but has also lead us into a war of ruin, really deserve our confidence?” Alexandre declared sharply.
Silence fell upon the room.

“No, I motion that we immediately dismiss this charlatan from his leadership position and appoint a new member to the chair.” said Alexandre

“I second the motion!” shouted another disaffected committee member.

The motion passed and Jean, shamed in front the men who use to call him brother, marched out of the chamber room and into retirement.

Immediately after, an emergency vote was called which saw Alexandre Petain, mixed race moderate liberal committee speaker rise to the leadership position.

This pointless war must be halted if we are to preserve stabilize our tentative economic situation.” Alexandre announced to raucous committee applause. “We must establish and maintain peaceful co-existence with all of our neighbors if we are to cultivate trade relations.”

Word was immediately sent to the front lines commanding Dupart to halt all military operations and pull back behind the boarder.
portughese-9sept1798.jpg

Day 10 - Sibion & Portuguese Merchant Fleet

Somewhere at Sea

Land ho!” the captain’s voice yelled out again in Portuguese.

Looking outside the port hole in the cargo hold, Sibion, the orphan Angolan stowaway, saw a lush green land mass off in the distance.

As the greenery drew closer, he was able to make some small buildings, similar to structures he remembered in Luanda.

One of the structures, he remembered specifically.
A long metal pole with fluttering fabric attached to the top.

“Those colors…” Sibion thought to himself. “Are different then ones he remember in Luanda.”

Back on the top deck, the Portuguese captain, glaring gleefully into the distance, called his crew to the attention.

Calling his firstmate to come forward he asked “What do you see over there Firstmate Manuel?”

“Land captain! Land!” his first mate shot back.
“And what flag do you see over there waving in the distance?” the Portuguese captain asked again.
The Napoleon Tri-Color Sir! The Ol’ Blue, White and Red” the first mate answered.

Turning his attention to the rest of the crew, the Captain spoke.

“Lads today is a day for revenge! As you’ve known since we left port in Luanda we have been ordered to raid the French possessions here in the Caribbean. Too long have our brothers and died and port blockaded in Father Portugal by the hands of Frenchmen and French agents. Today is a day we enact our revenge!”

The crew cheered.

Men! To your battle stations!” the Captain announced.

*********************************************************************************
Hispanic_Section6.jpg

Day 10 - Santiago

Army Encampment Outside Santiago

*********************************************************************************
“Genera Dupart! General Dupart!” yelled his frantic first lieutenant as he rushed into Dupart's camp quarters. “General, Another miracle has happened!”

“What boy?! What? Out with it!” Dupart yelled back.

Word from the southern militia corps says they’ve seen ships shelling the coastal French positions with the Santo Domingo itself being target of heavy bombardment!

Pausing for a brief moment, Dupart was suddenly seized with a surge of energy.

He zoomed out of his tent and into the army encampment.
Announcing to his resting soldiers, he spoke of the surprise bombardment of the southern coast.
We must strike now if we are to regain the initiative! Santo Domingo must fall!

Dupart then split his encamped army in two, leaving the entire militia detachment behind outside Santiago while taking his entire regular Haitian army troops on a march through Hispaniola-Centro to meet up with the third army corps in encamped in Azua.

By the time the order to withdraw from Port-Au-Prince arrived in Santiago, Dupart had already departed.

By Day 13 of the war Dupart met up with the third army corps in the south.

Three days of marching, coupled with some small skirmishes along the way resulted in some nominal causalities.

Upon linking up with the third army, Dupart immediately marched on Bari, which had since been evacuated of French Troops due to Portuguese shelling, capturing the city immediately and raising the Haitian Flag.

map_plan_du_siege_sto_dgo.jpg

Day 14 - Attack on Santo Domingo

On Day 14 of the war and on the eve of the Haitian attack on Santo Dominigo, Dupart spoke to his men.

Look among you!” he announced to his battle tested army.

You, decedents of different races of men; Black, mulatto, Spaniard, African; You are all brothers in arms! And today, you will all fight, bleed together! As we march over that hill, and into the destiny that God Almighty has set before us, never forget the sacrifices that your brother will make for you on that battlefield today! The spirit of L’Ouverture and the spirit of Hispaniola will be avenged!

Immediately the men, who shouted with tears in their eyes stormed across the hill and down into the French-held capital.

4 days of intermittent shelling by the Portuguese merchant ships had significantly softened the outer defenses of the city.

French garrisons on the southern urban side had been without sleep for several days, as they worked tireless to repair damage to the colonial battlements, keep the local Dominicans from revolting and remain prepared form an imminent Haitian attack. Moral was low and food was running short.

As the first wave of Haitian militia men reached the outskirts of the city several French positions opened fire mowing down the several hundred Haitians in the process.

After several other waves were unable to pierce the outer defenses of the city, Dupart, who was using his militia troops as a tactic to draw fire, was able to place 7000 regular army shock troops on the northern side of the city without out any resistance.

Once placed, Dupart ordered a massive wave of 25,000 machete-wielding militia troops to charge forward.

Break the line! Break the line!

The French, who started to let loose their infamous Napoleonic cannons, were able to kill the first couple thousand but soon saw their initial positions overwhelmed.

Fall back men! Fall back to secondary positions!” yelled Kerversau, who was personally leading the defense of the city.

Blowing a horn, which served as the signal to the veteran shock troops stationed north of the city, Dupart gave them the order to storm the city.

Seeing the crack Haitian army troops charging down plains, several Dominican boroughs situated around the north of the city immediately began to revolt.

French troops, which had stationed themselves in the several key residential buildings, were suddenly attacked by the populace.

As the Northern Haitian shock troops reached the edges the city, and began to make their way to the city center, they witnessed bodies of dead Frenchmen being thrown from rooftops and balconies all along the route.

Back on the southern advance, and meeting extremely heavy resistance,the Haitian militia forces pursued Kerversau’s French troops as they continued their structured retreat towards the city center.

Dupart, which by now had entered the city through the southern breach was marching with the rest if the Haitian regular army along the way.

On the north side, Haitian troops, which had quickly made their way city center, with the assistance of the revolting Dominicans set up defensive positions.

The Pincer was set.

Kerversau’s initially successful structured retreat, turned into a Haitian ambush as his forces retreated directly into Haitian musket fire.

The Haitian militia, which had caught up French troops from their Southern advance lunged upon the French troops, slaughtering them with machetes.

image004.jpg

Kerversau himself being captured alive though mortally wounded in the rout.

Dupart, which only weeks early had been stuck in the tropical jungle around Santiago, marched triumphantly into the city center of Santo Domingo to the cheers of his army troops and resident Dominicans.

Dupart! … Dupart! … Dupart!”

The capital of French Hispaniola had been liberated and the Governor General Kerversau had been captured.

Last edited: