TL-191: Postwar

Germans are not going to allow return of Bonapartes. They have fought already twice on 19th century and they are not going take new fight.
Darlan could make promises to the Bonapartes, but it doesn't mean he will ever honour them. Franco kept the question of royal succession in the air for over twenty years. To be fair, I liked the idea of a Spanish Bourbon on the French throne. When Juan Carlos was named as Franco's successor, he was not the heir to either the Alfonsists nor the Carlists. Admiral Darlan could do the same. Could make a story point that Jaime's heir marries a Bonaparte princess (I believe the current OTL Bonaparte claimant has a Bourbon mother). But if the Provisional Government establishes a republic, this new Fourth Republic will probably resemble Poland of the 1930s. It will be a managed democracy with the Admiralissimo as a powerful authoritarian president and a weak French Parliament. Maybe most of the positions of government will be filled with military personal and technocrats.

Last edited:
A Kingdom of France with a Spanish-born king? I didn't see that coming. It would make sense. The Orleanists have lost all credibility, the Bonapartists couldn't be trusted and Republicanism was declared a failure after the First Great War. Would the flag go back to the white flag?
Beautiful design that Royalist banner.

kernel

Gone Fishin'
I'll be doing short posts from time to time to explore historical figures in the world of TL-191 and what became of them.

Coca Cola

kernel

Gone Fishin'

Coca-Cola

NOTE: This is a repost of something I had written in the Photos from Featherston's Confederacy thread. I think it would fit well in this timeline.

d00068.tifx_0.jpg

Coca Cola (also known as Coke) was one of the Confederacy's most recognizable brands and iconic exports. The drink was first created by Colonel John Pemberton, a veteran of the War of Secession, and it quickly became the most popular soft drink in the Confederacy. By the 1920s Coke had become a worldwide phenomenon, as it was sold in places as far away as China and the Ottoman Empire, and the Coca Cola corporation was one of the most valuable companies in the Confederacy. The Coke syrup was produced in Georgia, while several plants around the world operated under a franchise model and used the syrup to produce the drink itself. Production of Coca Cola was also a major part of the Confederacy's industralization, as several bottling plants were opened in southern cities such as Nashville, Chattanooga, and Vicksburg.

20810224-standard.jpg

A Coca Cola bottling plant in Alabama

During the Featherston regime and the Second Great War, Coca Cola advertisements served as a major source for Freedomite propoganda. Several posters encouraged citizens to contribute to the war effort and support Jake Featherston, and depicted Confederate heroes such as Stonewall Jackson in order to improve morale. In addition, Coca Cola was sent to soldiers on the front lines. Black forced labor was used in several plants during the Population Reductions, where many were worked to death.

il_fullxfull.2700829173_gro3.jpg

A Coca Cola advertisement featuring Stonewall Jackson, printed during the SGW

image-3-start-up-to-enterprise-1-rendition-584-297.jpg

A Coca Cola advertisement featuring a C.S. soldier

Coca Cola did not survive the end of the Confederacy. US bombing raids had destroyed much of the plants and infastructure used to create Coca Cola in the South, and the formula for Coca Cola syrup was lost in the chaos of war. During the occupation, the remaining facilities that were once owned by the Coca Cola Corporation were dismantled and sent North during the Southern deindustrialization.

Despite its demise, Coca Cola still lingers on in the cultural memory of North America, and an obsession over recreating the iconic taste remains. Rumors abound that President Dewey ordered US soldiers to scour the ruins of Atlanta in search of the secret formula, to little avail.

The taste of Coca Cola is something that will forever be lost to time.

Last edited:
So if Coke and Dr Hopper (Pepper) are both Confederate, does that mean the U.S. really only had Pepsi?! God forbid…

kernel

Gone Fishin'
So if Coke and Dr Hopper (Pepper) are both Confederate, does that mean the U.S. really only had Pepsi?! God forbid…
In my headcanon Pepsi went out of business in the 1920s. Dr. Hopper survives the war through a loophole in U.S. occupation law, but we won't be hearing about them ITTL until the 70s at least.

kernel

Gone Fishin'
Hello everyone!

I hope you are enjoying TL-191: Postwar so far. I just wanted to give a heads up that I will be taking an extended break from the timeline and AH.com for a couple months, as I have a lot of stuff I need to complete IRL.

220px-111-SC-31905_-_NARA_-_55222968-cropped.jpg

Stilwell c. 1925s

Joseph Stilwell (1883-1946) was a Confederate Army general who was most famous for his service in China during the warlord years of the 1920s. Stilwell was born to a religious family in Palatka, Florida, and became an army officer after attending the Virginia Military Institute. He served with distinction in the First Great War on the Roanoke Front, and his name was entered into the Confederate Roll of Honor following the war.

Stilwell would rise to fame both in the Confederacy and worldwide during his three rotations of duty in China during the 1920s and 1930s. Initially attached to the Confederate legation at Canton, he would learn Mandarin and befriend Chinese revolutionary leaders such as Sun-Yat-Sen, Chiang-kai-Shek, and Wang Jinwei. China at the time was divided into various governments and warlord states, the most powerful being the Beiyang Government under the Fengtiang Clique. In 1928, Chiang-kai-Shek would attempt to defeat the Fengtiang Clique and unite China under the KMT banner. While he was able to capture key territories, such as the city of Shanghai, Chaing's offensive ultimately ended in failure. After Chiang-kai-Shek was ousted from power, Stilwell would become a military advisor to Wang Jinwei's left KMT government, where he would foster trade deals and arms relationships between the Confederacy and the left-KMT, going so far as to recruit Confederate army personnel as "volunteers" to test Confederate training and bypass restrictions on the size of the army.

In 1932, Stilwell would begin his third rotation of duty in China, where he served as the military attache at the Confederate embassy as well as in key positions in the Shanghai International Settlement. In 1935, the Fengtiang Clique, with Japanese support, invaded the territory of the left-KMT, and besieged Shanghai. Stilwell would again utilize his military expertise and command a mixed battallion of Confederate soldiers and volunteers from the International Settlement to defend the city. After the seige was lifted in 1936, Stilwell returned to the Confederate States, where he would publish a memoir of his actions in China. This memoir would be the basis of the Freedomite propoganda film Stilwell, which was an overexaggerated version of his exploits in China used to promote the ideal of the "new, militarized Confederate man". The movie won him fame both within the Confederacy and internationally. He officially joined the Freedom Party in 1938, and was a regular at party rallies across the Confederate States, often appearing beside Featherston himself.

During the Second Great War, Stilwell was promoted to Brigadier General and commanded troops during Operation Blackbeard. However, he was captured during the Battle of Pittsburgh, and died under U.S. captivity in 1946, possibly due to a form of cancer.
Stilwell's family were from New York, and he returned there for his childhood, so I don't think he'd be a Confederate.

In my headcanon Pepsi went out of business in the 1920s. Dr. Hopper survives the war through a loophole in U.S. occupation law, but we won't be hearing about them ITTL until the 70s at least.
I remember someone once made a post on PFFC about “Yankee Cola”