Things that make you go hmmmm.....

What if our timeline was someone else's ATL? In particular, caused by time travel from the other timeline? Can you think of actual historical examples in our own timeline that if you had read in an AH book you would say looked obviously (or not-so obviously) like results of manipulations by time travelers?

Not sure this is the right place for the thread

but I like the question. How 'bout the rare TL's with a successful AR blowing fog in to cover the tracks of Washington's retreat after the battle of Long Island?

kek said:
What if our timeline was someone else's ATL? In particular, caused by time travel from the other timeline? Can you think of actual historical examples in our own timeline that if you had read in an AH book you would say looked obviously (or not-so obviously) like results of manipulations by time travelers?

Nazis going from obscure party to sole party in Germany (actually story in "Proteus")

Generals/monarchs getting killed by (un)lucky shot in battle.

Hitler escaping assasination attempts.

Midway. If I'm not mistaken, it _does_ look like somebody Up There deliberately decided to cut down US losses in the Pacific war.

The BEF escape from Dunkirk. The accidental bombing of London, then Berlin, then switching Luftwaffe targets in BoB.

Cortez conquering Mexico.
The Glorious Revolution in England.
The Kamikaze that destroyed the invasion fleet of Kubilai Khan off Japan.

General Lee's Lost orders,

Bet that Private that found then, was a agent from the future.
There to ensure that the Orders are found.

[Slightly off topic] I heard that 95% of the Groupies, at the Ed Sullivan Beatles Show, were from the Future.

How about the fact that, while the US had a vague idea that the Japanese were planning something in late 1941, they had no idea that they were planning a strike at Pearl Harbor. Even more fortunately, all of the Pacific fleet carriers were out at sea at the time.

Or how about the actions of one emperor turning a minor, barely tolerated pseudo-Judaic sect into the largest faith in the history of humanity.

Oh yes, and there was the amazing ability of Muhammed and his successors to convert the entire Middle East, Persia, and North Africa in the space of about a century.

Hendryk

Banned
Moses. That guy was obviously the brainchild of someone in another TL who wanted to mess with our minds big time. Thanks to his not drowning as a baby, successfully escaping the Pharaoh's army, surviving in the desert and vanquishing the dissident calf-worshipping faction, the three religions that can be traced back to him directly or indirectly claim over half of mankind as followers.

How about the fact that, while the US had a vague idea that the Japanese were planning something in late 1941, they had no idea that they were planning a strike at Pearl Harbor.

This despite the fact of Pearl, being the target of several Red/Blue War games in the Thirties. In most of then the Attackers won.

DuQuense said:
This despite the fact of Pearl, being the target of several Red/Blue War games in the Thirties. In most of then the Attackers won.

I do not think military incompetence in OTL in December 1941 requires any assistance from time travelers or anyone else.

Cortez and Pizarro destroying the only 2 large native states in the Americas, and both of them able to do it at relatively low cost because of a series of favorable coincidences.

The British missing several chances to trap most of Washington's army around New York in 1776.

Odds

The odds of both guns misfiring when the attempted assassination of Andrew Jackson occurred after his inaugaration. Or the odds that the gun would misfire on Squeaky Fromme when she attempted to fire on President Ford. Or even that Stalin trusted that Hitler would not be so foolish as to attack the USSR.

DuQuense said:
[Slightly off topic] I heard that 95% of the Groupies, at the Ed Sullivan Beatles Show, were from the Future.
LOL, where was that heard? I love those crazy conspiracy things.

The nazis coming to power does seem very strange, thats all that comes to mind right now.

I dont think the nazi's or Hitlers rise to power was very strange at all. If not him then someone else. Im not saying that post WW1 Germany was predestined for what happened, but that it was very likely that a right wing dictatorship would seize power.

I find it odd that the Jewish people have been consistenly persecuted enough that their faith is renewed but that they are not totally destroyed, almost everywhere. But I dont think of it as a bad thing. If the Jews had been always tolerated like they are in America I doubt they would still exist. Think of the hundreds of others minorities that have sprung up that dont exist anymore.

i'm going to say a world where the British were much more powerful in the past then they are now. the one reason? AUstralia just being british. at some time in the past our Australia now (one contry across the continent) was ASBed with the one that you would 'expect' by looking at the rest of the world map, eg French in the West, Dutch + Germans in the North, UK in the East ... and all historical records were swithced around.

or the Zimmerman Telegram. the fact that such a convinent document was found by the British, and 'conveniently sent to the US.

Australia being British makes sense to me, no one wanted Australia it looked pretty useless without much information about natural resources and the like. Britain though with ruling the seas could afford to send its criminals off to a fancy far flung prison.