The Yankee Dominion: A Map and World Building Project

@Oryxslayer - I think the reason why I put Paul Ryan in there was mainly because Janesville's his hometown (and stuff)

Yeah, I know. But that doesn't matter when you need to win. Thersa May's hometown is in Oxfordshire, but she has a seat in Berkshire. Portillo in the UK is a great example of moving because of partisanship - he lost his Enfield seat so he is moved to the more reliably Tory Kensington since the Right needs him on their bench. If your home seat is unwinnable because of partisanship, but you are clearly needed for leadership, you move and win somewhere else.

Yeah, I know. But that doesn't matter when you need to win. Thersa May's hometown is in Oxfordshire, but she has a seat in Berkshire. Portillo in the UK is a great example of moving because of partisanship - he lost his Enfield seat so he is moved to the more reliably Tory Kensington since the Right needs him on their bench. If your home seat is unwinnable because of partisanship, but you are clearly needed for leadership, you move and win somewhere else.
Yeah, maybe Paul Ryan could occupy a seat somewhere in rural Wisconsin.

Does anyone know the color code for the ethnic map?

Basically the same colors as used here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iVkSeQOQqEctdi0pbsBGmMn-o-kxm5fodqsUpvO8n9k/edit#gid=0

Few differences though. Gaels are light blue on the map rather then Red-Brown on the sheet. Germans are broken up on the map into Anglicized Germans and Native speaking Germans. Hispanic/SA is more Tan then yellow.

Fianlly, grey-brown means mixed ethnicity, and is generally used for urban cores and mixed suburbs.

Ok, my American mind associates blue with Democrats (left wing) and red with Republicans (right wing), but I know that in most other countries it's the opposite.

Gian

Banned
I think we need to discuss East Florida's MPs a little more, everyone

Right now, we have a hodgepodge list comprised largely of OTL's congresspeople holding whichever their OTL district was (and maybe hispanicizing them as I suggested). What @Oryxslayer was basically saying was that the Flordianos (as I'm calling the hispanophones there) and Seminoles should dominate the rural and suburban areas while non-Native/Hispanic groups mainly dominate the urban areas of the state (especially since Miami would basically become our world's Los Angeles with Hollywood centered around it) as well as the retirement/tourist communities of the central belt. His suggestion was to switch some of the MPs around so that the Hispanic MPs towards the Hispanic/Native regions (while keeping some like Rubio and Ros-Lehtinen in their current ridings) and some of the Anglo MPs towards the urban ridings (and hispanicizing the rest)

Gian

Banned
Some updates:

(Also, I'm still calling for an Alliance minority government, please)

ZJp1ult.png

uWegPNj.png

I'm sorry, but I absolutely can't see a Progressive MP in the centre of New York. The Progressives are a party mostly focused on rural issues. They would not win votes in America's largest city, nor would they have much of an interest in a key campaign there. Michael Bloomberg would make more sense as a true independent. I also don't think Boise would have a Reform MP. They're not the most liberal city in America, but I think that seat could go Alliance. Maybe move Raul Labrador to that more rural seat southwest of Boise?

I think there are way to many America First and American Heritage MPs and there are a few places where the Greens are unlikely to win (such as that seat in Philidelphia and one in suburban Oregon.) And there are a few too many Bloc Populaire MPs in the south but I don't mind that as much.

Ideas for PA MPs:

Buckingham - Brian Fitzpatrick (Federalist) [OTL rep]
King of Prussia-Conshohocken - Greg Philips (Labor) [supervisor of the upper marion township board of supervisors]
Reading West - Wally Scott (Liberal) [Mayor of reading]
Chambersburg-Altoona - Bill Shuster (Federalist) [OTL rep]

I'm sorry, but I absolutely can't see a Progressive MP in the centre of New York. The Progressives are a party mostly focused on rural issues. They would not win votes in America's largest city, nor would they have much of an interest in a key campaign there. Michael Bloomberg would make more sense as a true independent. I also don't think Boise would have a Reform MP. They're not the most liberal city in America, but I think that seat could go Alliance. Maybe move Raul Labrador to that more rural seat southwest of Boise?

I originally wanted Bloomberg somewhere on the map, so they gave him the progressive line. However, i'm now thinking we should give the seat to a left candidate and make Bloomberg the long-serving leader of the provincial Tories, effectively playing a more centrist version of Berlusconi.

So glancing over the sheet, it is really only just Florida left. It also looks like the current totals, pending adjustment, are heading towards a Alliance + Greens or Progressive for government.

Based on the distribution of seats, here is my estimation which party won the popular vote in each province:

Absaroka - Progressive
Alaska - Alliance
Arkansas - Coalition
Assiniboina - Coalition
Bahamas - Progressive
Cape Breton - Progressive
Connecticut - Alliance
Delaware - Alliance
East Florida - ???
Franklin - Alliance
Fredericia - Coalition
Georgia - Alliance
Hudson - Alliance
Idaho - Alliance
Illinois - Alliance
Indiana - Coalition
Iowa - Alliance
Kansas - Coalition
Kentucky - Alliance
Louisiana - Coalition
Maine - Progressive
Manitoba - Alliance
Maryland - Alliance
Massachusetts - Alliance
Michigan - Alliance
Minnesota - Alliance
Missouri - Coalition
Nebraska - Coalition
New Hampshire - Alliance
New Jersey - Alliance
New York - Alliance
Newfoundland and Labrador - Alliance
North Carolina - Coalition
Northwest Territories - Alliance
Nova Scotia - Coalition
Ohio - Coalition
Ontario - Alliance
Oregon - Alliance
Pennsylvania - Alliance
Pike - Coalition
Quebec - Alliance
Rhode Island - Alliance
Saskatchewan - Coalition
South Carolina - Coalition
St. John’s Island - Green
Tennessee - Coalition
Vermont - Alliance
Virginia - Alliance
Wabash - Coalition
West Florida - America First
Wisconsin - Alliance

dZdjfnY.png

What a two(three?) party map would look like under the current numbers: Alliance, Greens, Soc. Workers are on the left, Coalition, Heritage and America First on the Right. Didn't know where to put the centrist-ish Progressives, so they are also on the map. Grey means ties - Maine and Absaroka are tied between all three. It looks a bit like a 90s style US map, with a couple obvious differences. However, If it was a right victory I imagine it would differ greatly from a 90s map because of the different coalition makeup. The Coalition would definitely be winning Maryland, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Idaho, with some configuration of: New Jersey, New York, Quebec, Iowa, and Ontario. Form this we can deduce the Alliances strongholds are obviously the West Coast and New England, but also the upper great lakes region (Hudson and Michigan, Manitoba, and Minnesota). The Coalitions heartland meanwhile is the Southern and Plains states. The Battlegrounds are largely concentrated along the borders between these two regions, the lower great lakes and mid-Atlantic.

Also, the share of the vote mapped from @ElectricSheepNo54:

GSHDUje.png

Last edited: