The VT-BAM project

It would be an alternative to name the map after its design, wouldn't it? So it could be called W-BAM (for World), E/ER/EQ-BAM for Equirectangular Or R-BAM for rectangular.

I could also just keep the name VBAM because I created it first
Or maybe the name doesn't actually matter until it's actually anywhere near pretending to be completed?

Four months into the M-BAM- Germany, the Low Countries, the British Isles, and everywhere from Egypt to Sinai to Mecca to Iraq was completed and ready to use. What do you have in the like third version of ValdoreBAM that can be used?

Last edited:
Or maybe the name doesn't actually matter until it's actually anywhere near pretending to be completed?

Four months into the M-BAM- Germany, the Low Countries, the British Isles, and everywhere from Egypt to Sinai to Mecca to Iraq was completed and ready to use. What do you have in the like third version of ValdoreBAM that can be used?
I created mine first.
However it's larger and a single person project. Guess why it's not that far.
Not only is one person not as fast as a dozen, I also had a life. Sorry for having so.

I won't change the name for several reasons. CalBear told you to change yours. So why are you still trying to degrade me and my work?!

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Really?

No, REALLY?

Get this fixed. Otherwise it is going to turn into the unnecessary series of Kick's in the Board's history.

I created mine first.
However it's larger and a single person project. Guess why it's not that far.
Not only is one person not as fast as a dozen, I also had a life. Sorry for having so.

I won't change the name for several reasons. CalBear told you to change yours. So why are you still trying to degrade me and my work?!
I won't change the name either. Because I'm not VT45.

...That being said, keeping this argument going is going far overboard. Apologies.

Alright, a request. First, here's the way I break it down the BAM maps thus far, for context:

- Worlda/microWorlda are excellent sizes for "overview" maps of an ATL or OTL scenario, as you can see the entire world without scrolling, you don't need to put excessive effort into detailed borders for what's just an overview.
- QBam: It's in a weird spot as far as scaling goes: Too big for an overview and too small for detailed on-map annotations and labels. I suppose it would be useful for certain areas of a region (Showing northern Europe, Central America, USA, etc).
- MBam: The size of this base map makes it unsuitable for any sort of world overview, but it is fantastic for country / regional maps with detailed 3rd level borders and notes, and maps that need a lot of on-map annotations (campaigns, roads, battles, etc).
- VBam (any edition): Fills a similar role to the MBam, as it provides tons of room for annotations.

Anything larger than a VBAM is not only mind-mindbogglingly difficult to create, but also pretty much redundant in terms of usefulness.

Now for the suggestion: Given the VBAM's role as a base map, perhaps it would be best to focus on completing a single region at a time. If you did that, people would have access to regional maps far earlier than otherwise, allowing people to start on projects with those regions.

I would like to help with america, as that is my home country, do you have the map of america so that I can add on to it? Also, what projection are we using?

VT45

Banned
I would like to help with america, as that is my home country, do you have the map of america so that I can add on to it? Also, what projection are we using?

Starting with an equirectangular map. I've uploaded an altitude map of the eastern half of North America that you can start in on if you want, and @FrankCesco turned it into an outline.

VT45

Banned
Also, just to show I've not been idle, I've got a redone version of Pennsylvania in the works, slightly more accurate than the last. It needs a bit more cleanup before I can outline it, so if anyone's willing to help out with that, that'd be awesome.
HLbH5CC.png

Worlda/microWorlda are excellent sizes for "overview" maps of an ATL or OTL scenario, as you can see the entire world without scrolling, you don't need to put excessive effort into detailed borders for what's just an overview.
I'd like to add that I always thought µWorldA would be useful for insets on maps to show religion/density/alliances/all that.

Here it is a list of my progress on Europe.

Only first border done but not doing them now:

Italy, Switzerland, France, Denmark.

In-working countries:

Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany.

Completed countries:
Netherlands, San Marino.

Last edited:

VT45

Banned
Those lines are rivers, correct?

Mostly. The way QGIS compressed it the first time around was to introduce this strange amazing technicolour dreampixel vomit. So most of those lines are rivers and other bodies of water. If you wanna trace over them to add to the BAM, consult with a map of Pennsylvania as you do.