The Unusual Powers

This is my first timeline so it is likely to have errors in it. As stated by the idea's thread this timeline is to find and raise 6 nations to world powers in a plausibly way here are the 6 Portugal,Indonesian Conferedecy,Greece, Scandinavia (Sweden dominated),Syria-Iraq, Vijayanagara. As this is my first timeline please don't try to rip it apart I am doing this for fun but I am willing to take suggestions. Please Comment.

The coup and the Iberian front of the 20-year war.
“The rising star of Portugal shall never fade” King Jorge 1st at the battle of Serpa

The rise of the House Salazar is synomonius with the beginning of the Golden age of Portuguese culture. A Golden Age that would have far reaching consequences across this world. Yet this Age did not begin peaceful it began in the Sinews of War. After the disastrous battle of Alcarquivir, Portugal was thrown into chaos as three nobles tried to claim the throne of Portugal. The Duchess of Braganza Catarina, Antonio the Prior of Crato, and the King of Spain Phillip. The Duchess crowned herself Queen of Portugal making The Duke of Parma her King. It is during this time a lowly Captain of the Lisbon forces began to fabricate a plot. His name was Jorge Antonio Salazar

DjoaoIbraganca.jpg

King Jorge the Great

Jorge Salazar was a minor noble who joined the army at a Young age. He came from a modest estate outside the city of Lisbon. He followed his family tradition and joined the army as a modest lieutenant. His was reassigned just before the invasion of Portugal to become the new head of the city guard. His father was killed at Alcarquivir making him the lord of his estate. He would blame the House Braganza for his Fathers death. His plan for the coup was to march a force 50 in to throne room and arrest the King and Queen his Son Antonio would lead the rest of the Guard to arrest the Prior, while finally his best friend Joaquin would arrest the nobles not loyal to him.

The plan work almost flawlessly. Jorge arrested and exiled the Duke of Parma, and forcing the Duchess to marry him to legitimize his claim though had her children either exiled or murdered. The nobles not loyal to the new regime were executed for treason. But the plan had one crucial flaw. The plan relied heavily on the reaction (or lack of reaction) of Philip. Phillip’s reaction was the exact opposite of what Jorge wanted. Phillip immediately raised army and began to march straight to Lisbon to avenge his family. Jorge needed a miracle to save his position. It came in the form of his brilliant friend Joaquin the new Duke of Braganza. Joaquin did two things that modern historians deem saved the Portuguese from an absolute defeat in the war. First Joaquin raise a large army in only 20 days comprised of conscripts, mercenaries, the second more importantly was enacted a ancient treaty with England bringing them into the war. Phillip’s army marched directly to Lisbon but was met by the Portuguese army under the command of King Jorge himself and Joaquin de Braganza at the town of Serpa. The Battle of Serpa would mark the beginning of the 20 year or as the Portuguese know it as the Portuguese war of independence.

The battle of Serpa is one of the most important for the time and the war. A Spanish force 60 000 under the command of General Pedro de Zubiaur, and General Juan del Aguila. Jorge marched his newly recruited army of 30 000 fresh, mercenaries, conscripts to the town of Serpa. Jorge reached the town before Spanish forces and set up camp on a small hill. Spanish arrived the next morning. General de Zubiaur launched a frontal assault on the enemy position while General del Aguila lead a second force to surround and flank Jorge. What makes the Battle of Serpa unique from other battles is the battle plan of Jorge. The battle began with a full frontal pike and infantry assault to the hilltop. The Portuguese easily repulsed this. De Zubiaur personally led a second assault on the hill. It was at this time that del Aguila army appeared to the south of the Portuguese army. Unlike other commanders whose army would be wiped out by such a force Jorge launched a risky full frontal assault on de Zubiaur army committing all troops. The Portuguese lines were about to collapse when de Zubiaur fled for his life after surviving a cannon ball. The Spanish lines shattered and routed. Jorge then struck quickly against del Aguila force. Del Aguila is killed in the fighting and hid forces rout. It would be one of King Jorge greatest victory

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Ivryrubens.jpg
The Battle of Serpa

Jorge immediately began planning a full-scale invasion of Spain. He put in place a mass recruitment from the cities and country to fill the ranks. By June 2nd 1581 the forces were ready for battle. Portugal launched a three-pronged invasion of the Spanish mainland Jorge would take a force of 30 000 to march straight to the capital, Joaquin would invade the south a take the key port cities, and his son Antonio would invade the northern areas and meet up with a British force under the command of Lord Mountijoy.

The central force hit hard and fast taking the city of Salamanca and marching to Toledo to destroy the last remnants of the army. In the south things was not going well General de Zubiaur was putting up a fierce resistance fighting the Portuguese at Badajoz, and Seville losing both. When Joaquin arrived a Cadiz he was met with a force 40 000 Spanish soldiers and sailors. The first battle of Cadiz marked the first Spanish victory in the war. After the defeat Joaquin retreated back to the city of Huelva were the navy was waiting. Spanish navy followed the retreat to the city. The naval battle of Huelva was a vicious and fierce battle between war hero Alvaro de Bazan of Portugal commanding a force of 75 ships against the Spanish armada of 86 ships under Medina Sidonia. The battle was a decisive victory for Spanish. The Portuguese navy retreated back to Portugal the Armada cut off all supplies to the city as General de Zubiaur surrounded the city beginning the siege of Huelva. In the north things were going fine much of the northern areas were taken defeating Spanish at La coruna and Leon and were days away from meeting the English forces at Gijon.

Belegering_van_Grol_in_1595_-_Siege_of_Groenlo_in_1595.jpg

The Siege of Salamanca

The year of 1581 marked the farthest advance of Portuguese forces in Spain. On February 16th 1582 Jorge meet the Spanish forces at the city of Toledo. It is a crushing victory for Spanish. Phillip him self lead a stunning strike on Jorge flank. The line broke and the Portuguese retreated. Phillip followed them all the way to the city of Salamanca. He laid siege to the city.

Dutch Rebellion and Naval War
“ I have never seen men fight a bravely as the Dutch” Robert Dudley

Spain was not the only front in the 20-year war. The Low Countries was in revolt. Lead by the brilliant William the silent. William had been fighting the Spanish for a long time. When the war sparked he hired an army of mercenaries marched into the Netherlands. They were soon meet by the British general and favorite of Elizabeth, Robert Dudley. Together they marched, liberating Holland, winning at the battles of Arnhem and Grun. They marched into the city of Amsterdam as heroes and liberators. They meet the main Spanish force at Breda. The battle was mostly a pyrrhic victory for the Dutch but in the long term it was a Spanish victory. The battle of Breda created confusion amongst the Dutch army, which split in three. The English went and took the town of Middelberg believing that the army split up to achieve different goals. William took a third of the army to the town of Utrecht to regroup. The final parts of the army advance to Antwerp were they by the Spanish besieged them. Though William and Dudley were able to regroup they were never able to save the army at Antwerp.

williamthesilent.jpg

William the Silent

The naval war progressed slowly after the battle of Huelva. When the Spanish caught word of that the British and what was left of Portugal’s fleet were meeting at the town of La Coruna. The majority of the fleet went to fight the allied fleet there, while leaving a skeletal force at the siege. It was here that famous Privateer Francis Drake launched his famous raid of Huelva. With only a few ships he destroyed the fleet at the city, and therefore allowed for supplies to get in the city. The siege was broken days later. As for the battle of La Coruna it was a victory for the Spanish but the destruction of the much of fleet occurred leading Philip to immediately start to create the Grand Armada.
With the war reaching a stalemate both sides meet in Barcelona ending the first part of war with a ceasefire. The ceasefire was meant to end the war but for convince history combined the wars together. The ceasefire recognized Jorge dynasty but called for the withdrawal of all troops from the troops from Spain. Both sides knew war would come at a later date but for now peace was at hand.

Here is the next Update. Sorry it took so long it was a long update and I had a lot of work to do. sorry for any grammar or spelling errors. Enjoy and comment.

The Years of Peace
"Barcelona brought a cold wall down between Spain and the Allies a wall that would not last" Joaquin de Braganza

The time of uneasy peace fell across Western Europe after the treaty of Barcelona. Both sides began a period of naval build up. The most active build up was by Spain. King Phillip personally took up this project personally. Choosing Cadiz as the base. Phillip also increased the size of his military and giving them experience in the still chaotic Low Countries lead by the now famous General de Zubiaur. In Portugal the Naval build was the lowest instead they began to put more focus in developing their army. They believed if they defeated the Spanish on land they could avoid the Grand Armada and bring Spain to its knees. More importantly in the development of Portugal was the founding of the colony of Goawhich would become one of the key the jewels in the Portuguese Crown and one of its most important colonies. Jorge I took up the colonization of Goa region with keen interest seeking to improve the relationships with the local power of Vijayanagara to secure it colony. Vijayanagara was happy to help the Portuguese on the condition of an alliance with them against Deccan Sultanate , trade rights, and access to some of their technologies. Jorge I accepted this happy to gain a direct control in India, unaware of the monster that Jorge unintentionally created. Things in England were different they emerged from the war relatively untouched, and were itching for a fight. They started to create a formidable fleet to challenge the Spanish, and supplied Dutch with supplies to keep Spain’s resources tied up. Now famed Pirate Francis Drake started to attack Spanish ships. Though not everything in England was peaceful. In Ireland and revolution sparked lead by Hugh O’Neill and Hugh Roe O’Donnell.

spanish_armada.jpg

The Armada

War Sparks
"The second stage of the 20 Year War was the bloodiest affair any of the countries had ever experienced" Michel Downing writer of The History of 20 year War: a War that founded 2 Powers

During one his raids on Spanish ships Francis Drake kills a Spanish former Governor General of Cuba. Phillip was furious and declared war on England and Portugal. General de Zubiaur invaded Portugal with his now veteran army hoping to destroy the large Portuguese army. Jorge decided to meet him at the town of Moura. The Veteran Spanish completely overwhelm the green Portuguese army, which shatters and splits Jorge retreats all the way beck to Lisbon with a half the army (about 15 000 men) the others deserted or fled North to the town Barga under the command of his faithful lieutenant Joaquin de Braganza.

Batalla_Fleurus_%281622%29.jpg

the Battle of Moura

De Zubiaur made his way across Portugal straight to the heart of the Kingdom, Lisbon. Jorge was now praying for a miracle, that God would deliver Portugal from Spain. And he got one survivors that were separated from Jorge and Jaoquin began a guerrilla war slowing de Zubiaur advance, for enough time send a message to Jaoquin reading only few words “come quickly”.
De Zubiaur arrived at the capital days later. Jorge went forward to face Zubiaur in combat. A great battle began one of the biggest in the conflict. The pure might of the Spanish force began to overwhelm the Portuguese. Jorge made one last rally call for the men to fight for their futures, their families, and their country make one last ditch attempt to win the battle. When Jorge pray was answered Joaquin and army arrived and smashed into the flanks of De Zubiaur army destroying the army. The army routed, the Spanish had been defeated.
Battle_of_Lutzen.jpg

The Battle of Lisbon

The Armada
“I am come amongst you as you see at this time, not for my recreation and disport, but being resolved, in the midst and heat of battle, to live or die amongst you all — to lay down for my God, and for my kingdoms, and for my people, my honour and my blood even in the dust. I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king — and of a King of England too, and think foul scorn that Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realm; to which, rather than any dishonour should grow by me, I myself will take up arms — I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarded of every one of your virtues in the field. I know already, for your forwardness, you have deserved rewards and crowns, and, we do assure you, on the word of a prince, they shall be duly paid you." Queen Elizabeth I to the troops at Tilbury

The Spanish armada Sailed out for Portugal as soon as war started. Duke Medina Sidonia sailed out to destroy the Portuguese Fleet and then bring England to its knees. The Battle of Sines was the first test of the great armada. The Portuguese pick the aging war hero Admiral Alvaro de Bazan. The battle was a decisive Spanish victory the large numerous of the Spanish guns overwhelmed the ships that could fled all the way to London to join the English fleet. Those who didn’t where killed, or captured and forced to work on making new ships. Medonia went south to the town of La Coruna to meet with the Duke of Parma who was the chief commander of Spanish forces in the Low countries. Together they plan an all out invasion of England. It is during this stage of planning when the legend of Francis Drake was cemented and began a legend. Francis with only 8 ships returning from the new world attacked the Spanish fleet at La Coruna. Using fire and mobility he sunk 8 ships and wrecked the shipyard at the port setting the Spanish back months. Historians would later call it the raid of La Coruna, even Drake himself said that “He singed the beard of Phillip”.
419px-Battle_of_Gibraltar_1607.jpg

The Raid of Cadiz

Though this raid did not stop the Phillp. Parma returned to Brussels to deal with the rebels and Medonia headed to London. The two forces meet at the Gravellines. The Spanish fleet steamed towards the Low Countries to meet up with Parma. The attack happened during the night the small English fleet attacked. They sent the fireships or as the Spanish called them hellships into the Spanish fleet to break the ships apart. The English attacked them from the distance destroying many of the ships. The Spanish arrogantly did not use much of the cannon fire determined to fight at close quarters. They would never get the chance. Admiral tried to make on last attempt to retreat when the Portuguese reinforcements arrived cutting off Sidiona retreat. The battle of the Gravellines was a massacre, the destruction of Spanish fleet left England with the most powerful fleet in the world. Sidiona was killed and the badly damaged fleet sailed all the way to La Coruna after the defeat.

battle-of-gravelines-death-of-the-spanish-armada.jpg

The Defeat of the Spanish Armada

The tide turns
"The tide turns like a horse around a corner" Robert Dudley

With the defeats at Lisboa and the Gravellines the tide had turned but the war was far from over. Spain still had large armies in the Low Countries and were regrouping in Spain. Jorge and Joaquin decided to use the Naval advantage they had and launch and invasion of Spain. The invasion would be divided into two parts Portugal would make a push right to the capital will the English would invade the low countries and Northern Spain. Jorge and Jaoquin would invade in two prongs Jaoquin would invade to the south taking the southern cities of Cadiz, and Valencia then push towards the capital, Jorge would strike right to the Madrid. The English would divide their forces into two invasion forces Robert Dudley would meet up the Dutch rebels under William I and hold the Parma large army in the low countries, while Mountijoy and Drake would land in northern Spain and push to Madrid. The plan work quite well at the beginning Jorge and Jaoquin marched into Spain taking Seville, and Cadiz. Jorge was steaming towards Madrid de Zubiaur need to force him to fight at Salamanca. Jorge feign a retreat and ambushed him with a hidden force crushing the Spanish force. This would be de Zubiaur last tenure as commander he was killed during the ambush.

Maastricht_1579.jpg

The Battle of Salamanca

From now on Phillip would take command of the army. He know that if the English were allowed to land then Spain would have no chance in winning the war. He orders the weakened fleet to attack the English fleet at Santander where Philip would win a victory over the cocky English and force the English back to isles the force that landed on the Spanish coast are hunted down and killed those that escape find their way to Jorge army. Lord Mountijoy was among the dead. In the low countries the rebel forces had been struggling to hold back the Spanish forces William I was able to hold them off. When Robert Dudley invade with a large force they meet up with William I. They both had different goals for the wars William wanted to liberate the entire low countries while Dudley wanted to keep the Spanish occupied in the low countries. But both saw the need for a offensive. Together they began the Dutch offensive or as the Dutch know the Liberation offensive. The offensive comprised of two stages one a English invasion into Spanish held low countries (Belgium) while William would cross the Waal River and head to fortress of Breda, and Maastricht. The invasion began with moderate success the English were able to get a beach head on Spanish soil but their advance was slowed down by constant skirmishes. The Dutch part of the offensive was meet with success and bloody battles taking the town of Tilberg and Heerlen. As William approached Breda and Maastricht Parma launched a full counter attack hoping to destroy the rebels, the entire southern army was lost at the battle of Heerlen William was force back to Tilberg. The Battle of Tilberg is often considered the point when the Dutch guarantied their independence. Using his stronger troops held a thin line tempting Parma to attack it. It is then the rest of the forces revealed themselves from the forst and attacked the flanks it was a deceive victory. Parma fell back to Breda where William besieged the city.

The-Battle-of-White-Mountain1620-German-School-302672.jpg

The Battle of Tilberg

The end of the War, Peace, and the last years of Jorge

After Spanish defeats all over the continent Phillip still refused to surrender despite his adviser and friends urging him to end the war before it destroyed Spain. Jorge had reached the capital city during the last months of the war having just defeated Phllip him self at the 2nd battle of Toldeo. Jorge did not have enough troops to deal with a long prolonged siege.

Sitio_de_Ostende.jpg

The siege of Madrid

He need Jaoquin cannon which were making their way north at the time. Phillip stuck quickly hoping to stop the siege but was beat back inside at the first battle of Madrid. Jorge still waited when news came of the surrendering of the garrison at Breda along with Parma army. Jorge was now begging Phillip to accept a peace offer giving to him. But it was shot down viciously. The day Jaoquin army arrived Phillip attempted another counterassault. Jaoquin cannon proved decisive in forcing Phillip back into Madrid they began to assault the city together put Portuguese assault was stopped. The siege would continue for another 3 months when Phillip finally agreed to talk.

300px-Velazquez-The_Surrenderof_Breda.jpg

The Surrender of Madrid

All of the parties meet on neutral soil in Bremen for the talks. A peace treaty was hammered out stating this The Dutch Republic would be recognized as a independent state and all land occupied by the Dutch would comprise of this Republic. Spain was to cede a series of small islands in the Caribbean to Portugal and England (OTL Bahamas and Jamaica to England, and Porta Rica to the Portugese). The Spanish would also cease any claims to the Portugal’s throne and stop help the Irish rebels. In return the English would stop attacking Spain ships and shipping lanes. Thus ending the bloody 20-year war

The_Somerset_House_Conference_19_August_1604.jpg

The Treaty of Bremen

The peace was a embracement for the Spanish government but could have been worse. Out of the powers England would gain the most out of this war as its secured her naval dominance. Peace settled over Europe. James II the new king of England (Elizabeth died before the war ended), Jorge I and William I singed the treaty Utrecht agreeing to protect the other from attack from Spain or any other power that was a threat to all the nations. The next 2 years where of peaceful development in Portugal. Jorge took up the project of colonization of India and Brazil up with a passion as those colonies expanded during this time. But this would have a negative effect of some of the under managed colonies I.E Malacca. On 1605 Jorge the Great would die of what many suspect as cancer next to his loving family at the age of 61 (he took the throne at 40). His eldest son Antonio would inherit his throne and carry on his legacy as Antonio I “The Colonist”.
TeodosioIIbraganca.jpg

King Antonio I

So any comments, questions or suggestion on where to go next.

Also a Important message I am replacing one of the 6 Unusual Powers. After doing some more research into the subject and found out the the Vijayanagaran Empire was more or less dead by the time the POD occurs. So I am replacing it with Mysore

Sorry it took me so long to get the update out it just that I have been swamped with work over the last week and could find any time to write it. Sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes. Please comment

Antonio’s Portugal
"under Antonio Portugal became it's colonies" Juan Olivares writer of the History of Portugal

Antonio Inherited his father love of the colonies. He saw the colonies as the future of the Portuguese kingdom and began to invest heavily in them. In particular Goa and Brazil. He incited merchants to found the Portugeuse East India Company that would only be subservient to the king himself. He deicide after much debate to break the treaty of Zaragoza and beginning to expand the colony of brazil and colonizing parts of the Caribbean (St.Kitts, Barbuda, Antigua, and Granda). Put of the colonies he is interested was Goa. He believed the objectives of colonization was to secure Indian trade. He believed that by having a strong foothold in Goa he could dominate Indian trade. To do this he allied with Mysorian Kingdom and medium sized empire that was interested in trading with them for technologies, and support. As part of the allies he allowed a group of scholars access to the west to bring ideas back to them. One of these scholars was the son of Malacan refuge Abadullah Janil din Rabat.

Shershah.jpg

Abadullah Janil din Rabat

Indian politics
"the Politics of the India is a bloody mess" Antonio I

Antonio arrived into a Portugal dominated by the Mughal Empire under Akbar the Great. The Deccan and Vijayanaga empires had collapsed leaving many little kingdoms in their wake. Portugal arrival on the scene would change the game. Bijapur kingdom the most powerful of the Deccan states had been a long time enemy of Portugal. As Portugal began to force their presence Bijapur gather the many little states in that region and united them under his banner, creating the Deccan alliance. Though this alliance was tentative at best it was still a major threat to Portuguese power in the region. Portugal needed allies to protect their interest and found one in the medium sized kingdom of Mysore. Mysore was entranced by the goods the Portuguese sold and wanted those goods. King Raja Wodeyar I quickly signed a alliance with Portugal seeing much to gain from doing so. The Mughal Empire did not like to see the southern states mobilize like this and cautiously put his armies stationed on the border for any trouble.

The road to Malaccan war of independence/ the Indonesian foundation war
"Power and Glory is based off three things Knowledge, Pride, and the strength of the people. All three we have." Abduallah Janil din Rabat

Abdullah Janil din Rabat learned much from his journey to west going to the cities of Lisbon, Paris, London, Vienna, and Constantinople. He learned the ways of the west and of their technologies. But most importantly he was inspired by these countries greatness, their wealth their power. Then he thought why couldn’t his native Malacca be the same. He immediately returned to his native Malacca a began to speak out against the Portuguese. This caught the intention of the Governor, Jeronmio Tomas, forcing him to flee to near by Johor. There he was approached who was inspired by his vision of greatness of glory that had long since deserted him and his family. The Malay people had been divided for a long time and Sultan saw the young scholar as the leader who would unite the Malay people into a empire as great as Thai, or even the Chinese. Together they untied the tribes with vision of riches of power and glory into an alliance against the Thai and the Portuguese. Jeronmio Tomas assumed this alliance was a anti-Thai one only. After years of Prepping and planning din Rabat unsealed his master plan. He entered the city with large force disguised as merchants and peaseant. Together they marched on the citadel. A inside man opened the gates and Abdullah and soldiers marched in a massacred the defenders who were dazed and confused. Governor Tomas is killed. The prisoners and Tomas head are sent back to Goa with a simple message “this is our land.”

Malacca_1630.jpg

A map of Malacca during the war.

Portugal understandably didn’t take this very well and sent one of it most skill generals Garica de Sousa to the region to quell the revolt. De Sousa was one of the new generals of the army, son of a supporter of King Jorge; he was a veteran of Jorge army serving with distintion at Lisbon, Saragoza, and Madrid. He was one of the general trying to fill the vacuum after the death of Jaoquin de Branagza.

300px-diego_velasquez_the_count-duke_of_olivares_on_horseback.jpg

General/Admiral Garica de Sousa

War of Malacan independence
"The blood of our brothers soaked the ground as Indonesia gain its freedom" Sultan Alauddin Riayat Shah III

Garica de Sousa arrived 4 months after the garrison at Malacca was overrun by din Rabat forces arriving in the Perak Province miles from Malacca. He sent out with one goal bring the entire region under Portugal’s control. De Sousa army 20 000 (mostly made up of Indian consricpts) march rentless for 4 weeks before reaching the Malaccan armies under the command of Sultan Mukaddam Shah Ibni Almarhum, and Abdullah Janil din Rabat at Battle of Shah Alam. The battle was a bloody event lasting for two days collimating in the Charge 4th Curassiers regiment into the flanks of Sultan of Perak troops. The overwhelming number of Portuguese troops and superior technology won the day.

Pappenheim_Curassiers.PNG

The famous 4th Curassiers or 4th Cavalry during the battle.

Din Rabat was able to retreated with most of his army back to Malacca but armies of Perak was not so lucky the majority of the army was crushed and the sultan himself was killed leaving no heirs to throne. Believing that the war was for the most part done split his forces into two one force under himself would keep pushing to Malacca and eventually Johor while the second army would invade Aceh.

Aceh armies were defeated quickly at the battle of Bireun forcing them to retreat to the capital. But this action gave din Rabat and Sultan Alauddin Riayat Shah III time to regroup, allow support from Borneo to come and join their armies, and to gain arms from both China, and from the Mughal empire to arrive. With these reinforcements and supplies they marched straight to city of Seremban to engage de Sousa in the greatest battle of the war.

The Battle of Seremban is often seen as the day Indonesian confederacy gained its independence. As usually the aggressive de Sousa launched a assault with his Indian troops. Excepting this he lined his newly gained rifles and proceeded to slaughter the Indian melee troops and launched his cavalry to smash into the sides of his unexpecting elite troops. Those troops were able to repulse the assault sending the a malaccan cavalry into a retreat they turned around and smashed into Indonesian lines into a massive infantry fight that could swing either way. Until Fatefull arrival the apparent retreat of din Rabat’s cavalry was a ploy to make sure de Sousa would attack with ever thing he got, the cavalry untied with Sultan Alauddin cavalry and smashed into de Sousa rear destroy/capturing the cannons. Though de Sousa was able to fight with a good portion of his forces out of the hammer and anvil strike it was a crushing victory that lead the Portugal to evacuate its troops of the pensuiala vowing to return.

Battle_of_pollilur.jpg

a Scene from the Battle of Seremban

To save face after the major defeat he carried out the brilliant assault on the capital Aceh, taking the city only weeks after his defeat at Seremban. He then sailed out and crushed the fleet of Boreno and Johor at the battle Tanjungpinang. He was planning to invade Mayalsia again when a order came to Aceh ordering him back to Goa with all his troops the Deccan War had just began. Days later a peace offer came to Malacca offering to accept the confederacy as independent and ceding Malacca to them in return for access and protection of Portuguese merchants, and Christian in general. Din Rabat quickly aggred to the peace treaty.

The formation of the Indonesian Confederacy
"with these words we pave a new future for our people" Abaudallah Janil din Rabat

the unification wars had left many of the state ripped apart by war Perak lost it royal family and much of Aceh was destroyed by the Portuguese. Abaudallh decied to create the confederacy into one body based of the holy Roman Empire but a more unified force. There would be elected king choose by the electors rulers of the kingdoms of prominence. The originals were Aceh, Malacca (Perak, Malacca, and Johor unified into one kingdom shortly after the war) and Borneo. The elected leader or Shah would rule the entire region and decide it foreign policy but must consulate the electors on most issues and reconzie their right to rule within their states. The first election occurred in Malacca where all three electors choose Abdullah Janil din Rabat the first Shah become Shah Abduallah I. He would rule the country for 4 years before dying of heart attack (many consider this was a assassination by either Portugal, or Thailand). During his reign he expanded the confederacy to include states wanting protection from Thailand (creating high tension between the two) and rebuilding the economy of the country. By the time of his death the Confederacy was a thriving country and Malacca once again became the culturally and political Capital of the region. He promoted the arts vastly during his reign and encouraged foreign investment (mostly Spanish, and French). Upon his death Indonesia was a unified political forced to be reckoned with earning him the title Abduallah the Great or the Unifier.

Map of the Indonesian Confederacy after the death of Abduallah I

Indoensian Confederacy Abaduallah I.png

Here the next update. enjoy

The Deccan War
"Deccan started this war and we'll finish it with their own blood and their land" Balkrishna Akurdikar

The Deccan war began with the bloody attack on Mysorian Merchant traveling to Delhi. Bijapur raiders attacked the convoy. Only 4 of the merchants survived to return delivering the grim message to the King. The war had started. King Raja Wodeyar I immediately went to Goa to ask of the Portuguese for help. after days of discussion the governor General Luis de Guarda agreed to Enter the war by the promise of vast lands recalling all troops from other theaters but the Portuguese would have no time to regroup they were attack by the leader of the alliance Sultan Ibrahim Adil Shah II of Bijapur.

Ibrahim_Adil_Shah_II_Sultan_of_Bijapur.jpg

Ibrahim Adil Shah II

The young garrison commander General Francisco Telles went out to meet the Sultan. Francisco Telles was of peasant stock with no noble heritage of any kind to speak of. He fought distinguish as a Infantryman at the Battles of Lisbon, Salamanca, and Madrid. He made it big when he signed on early with the Portuguese East Indian ranks and skyrocketed through the ranks to general. The Battle of Goa was a bloody affair for the Deccan alliance a combination of technology, and skill overwhelmed the Deccan troops forcing them to retreat to Bijapur. Telles followed hotly in pursuit.

425px-GeorgeVilliers.jpg

General Francisco Telles

The War in the East was much different Mysore had lost a lot of ground during the first part of the war to General Yousaf Ali Mirza forces pushing towards their capital of Srirangapatna. General Mirza approached the capital and besieged it. Then one of the defeated Mysorian general gathered his forces and began to approach the capital. In the town of Cuddor he meet up with a small Portuguese force and went to the Srirangapatna to fight Mirza. The Battle was a turning point in the war. The loose collation of Muslim and Indian states was fragile are best held together by the hatred of Portugal. General Mirza was about to attack and take the city when Mysorian army arrived and descended on the shocked Deccan forces. The loose coalition shattered and was massacred. Many of the kings of accompanying the army (hoping to gain a piece of Mysore) were captured forcing to give up their lands to the Mysorian Kingdom. General Mirza retreated to Bangalore to regroup. The now famous General Balkrishna Akurdikar went east to meet him besieged to town.
Shivaji_and_Marathas.jpg

General Balkrishna Akudikar before his troops before the Battle of Srirangapatna

The arrival of General De Sousa and the Naval war
"Well that was a bloody mess" Garica De Sousa after the battle of the Beachhead

General de Sousa arrived a few months after the war started where he encountered and primitive Bijapur Navy and crushed it. When then landed his troops north of the capital where he was attacked at the beaches by Bijapur forces. Fighting the bloody Battle of the Beachhead stalling his force enough for Sultan Ibrahim to return to his capital. Now the race began both General de Sousa and General Telles rushed to the capital of the dying Sulatnate. By the time de Sousa arrived at the capital city Telles was already besieging the city. The capital fell but miraculously sultan Ibrahim surived.

Rocroi.jpg

Battle of the Beachhead

The last of the Great Armies of Deccan.
"we sh Fransico all push them all the way back to the walls of Hyperabad" General Telles
General Mirza was in a tough position with the majority of the Deccan forces destroyed by the allied armies, and General Akurdikar besieging the city of Banglore. Mirza tried to make one desperate attempt to free himself. Launching a massive assault on all lines he punctured a hole in Akurdikar lines and made a break for it. The Pyrrhic victory at Bangalore cost many lives. Akurdikar gathered his demoralized troops and followed him all the way to the last Deccan stronghold to Hyderabad there he made one last attempt to turn the war around in the favour of the Deccan alliance the Battle and the subsequent siege of Hyperbad would be the climax of the war. A desperate force 10 000 Muslim Deccans attacked the Mysorian forces outside the city. The Battle lasted for the majority of the day with no side coming out on top. Then Mirza launched his weakened cavalry force into Akurdikar Flanks the charge was a disaster for the Deccan forces. The force the cavalry was a skilled Pike and Musket regiment the rifles decimated the cavalry from afar will the pikes decimated the cavalry for up close. Akurdikar took that flank and sent them down the entire left flank of Deccan army crushing it and routing the armies. Weeks later general Telles forces arrived and together they besieged the Hyperbad for half a year until Sultan Ibrahim agreed to a crushing peaces.

Nizam-ul-mulk.jpg

General Yousaf Ali Mirza
The Peace of Goa
"Peace is ours. Long live the enteral Mysore" Raja Woydear I

The peace of Goa is considered to be the one of the biggest diplomatic coups in political history. The entire alliance was to annex by both Mysore and Portugal greatly expanding their power in the region. The areas annexed by the Portuguese would prove to be the most important lands of all the empire besides Portugal herself. Holding these lands would begin a period of economic growth that would last for many years. But it is a diplomatic coup for a very different reason. Convinced by General Telles the Mysorian kingdom would gained the vast majority of the Portuguese technologies as long as agreement to help westernize their state. This would prove to be the critical point in Raja Woyedar reign and in the history of Mysore it self. The armies of Decan were forced into exile along with many Muslims north into the Mughal Empire. The Empire, which until now had been involved in various wars to expand it empire vowed to conquer the upstart nation and in colonial brethren and free the people. It would not be until Akbar death that the empire would act upon these ideas. The two wars in the east would propelled Antonio reign forward. The economic growth resulting from the wars overshadowed the cost in human blood. Antonio would reign for another 2 years before dying of a stroke at the age of 59 in 1613 ending his 8 year reign. His throne would pass to his young son Manuel II. Manuel II would lead his country through one it most difficult times
JoaoIVPortugal.jpg

Manuel II

Any Comments, Questions, or Concerns. If there is some one reading this who has any kind of knowledge of Spanish and Dutch involvement in the Thirty Years War. I need help to try to get Portugal involved in the war