The top 10 Worst Handguns of the 20th century

NothingNow

Banned
That's the one. Weird little gun.

Certainly looks cool though. The other models Mateba made were all similarly unorthodox, but interesting pieces.

Also, the Steyr M is a decent weapon. Why the Hell, BlairWitch is so obsessed with aesthetics is beyond me, especially when functionality in this case is much more important.

I'm still surprised that no-one mentioned the Mars Automatic Pistol (produced out to 1907,) which was just a complex and terrifying beast to fire.

Why the Glock hate?

Glock has effectively killed any innovation in handgun design. It also lead to the creation of the Glocktard, the people who believe that Glocks are perfect and infallible handguns, and that all handguns must be Glocks.

I like Glock handguns, don't get me wrong. But they are not the divinely inspired wonder pistol that some make them out to be.

How about the Obrez?

Obrez-Vint_Mosina.jpg

10. FN Five-Seven: A panic inducing gun among guncontrol advocates, the Five Seven is little more than a glorified .22 magnum without LEO-restricted ammo. Even with the LEO-spec ammo, its effectiveness is open to debate.
I have been reading more about this caliber lately, appearently U.S. special forces in 2000 declared unsuitable for use. Ballistically it is between 22WMR and 22 Hornet in power and is more likely to ice pick than anything. The appearent plan with both the 5-7 pistol and the P90 is appearently to shoot the enemy with as many bullets as you can before you run out, which is good if you have only a few oppenets shooting at you, its not if you have many.

British police use the MP5K with silencer and red dot sight. However the desert eagle from Israel is a pain to use and a blessing, The different ammo you can use is a blessing but the gun it,s self is heavy. The welrod from WW2 great gun but only one shot which is not what you need if your in the middle of a fire fight.

Innovation Stifled?

Glock has effectively killed any innovation in handgun design. It also lead to the creation of the Glocktard, the people who believe that Glocks are perfect and infallible handguns, and that all handguns must be Glocks.

I like Glock handguns, don't get me wrong. But they are not the divinely inspired wonder pistol that some make them out to be.

Never heard the term Glocktard before, but I'll take your word for it. The Police Department I was with went to Glocks before my retirement and the move was successful. PD's don't need innovation, they need something reliable, simple and anti-stupid. Glocks happened to fit the bill. Accidental discharges are unheard of, and the several times they needed to be fired on the street, they hit what they were aimed at.

It's been nearly twenty years since the switch from revolvers and outside of talk of possible caliber upgrade, my contacts on my old department say there's no current plans to switch from the Glock. It just works.

Curious as to why you think the Glock stifled innovation, especially as there's a whole new generation of concealed carry weapons out there such as Beretta's Pico and Nano, new Walthers and others.

Last edited:
Never heard the term Glocktard before, but I'll take your word for it. The Police Department I was with went to Glocks before my retirement and the move was successful. PD's don't need innovation, they need something reliable, simple and anti-stupid. Glocks happened to fit the bill. Accidental discharges are unheard of, and the several times they needed to be fired on the street, they hit what they were aimed at.

It's been nearly twenty years since the switch from revolvers and outside of talk of possible caliber upgrade, my contacts on my old department say there's no current plans to switch from the Glock. It just works.

Curious as to why you think the Glock stifled innovation, especially as there's a whole new generation of concealed carry weapons out there such as Beretta's Pico and Nano, new Walthers and others.
You sound suspiciously like a Glocktard sir! Gyrojet pistols at twenty paces, at dawn tomorrow.

Glock haters...

If nothing else ole Gaston sure made all the established Gunmakers Sit up, and take notice. Design of firearms in general has stagnated for decades, and will likely continue, until some external factor forces a change. I.E. Someone's military adopting some game changing small arms Weapons, Ammo, Ect. ;)