The Tale of the Twelve Republics: a TLIAW Redux

@zeppelinair: Del Pilar had links to the Katipunan, although not that significant (since he's already struggling in Spain when the Katipunan started a full-scale recruitment campaign OTL). He gave permission to them to use his name as editor-in-chief for Kalayaan, the Katipunan's official newspaper.

As for Luna, Rizal was said to have suggested him to the Katipunan as a possible member, according to Pio Valenzuela.
My get was that because Rizal was so famous Bonifacio basically used him as a rallying call for all Filipinos against the colonials, much more than considering him an ally - or would I be wrong about that?

EDIT: oh bloody hell, fine I'll give you people an update.

Last edited:
June 1 1890. A particularly ambitious Japanese businessman, with help from the Yakuza, secures a plot of land along the major road connecting Pusan harbour to the railway station for construction of a Geisha house, brothel, and gambling parlour. This business scheme comes under heavy criticism due to the surrounding area being a Korean residential area, with fears of this attracting the "Four Pests" into a generally peaceful neighbourhood.

June 7 1890. Three Filipino students are sent to the Nagasaki Military Academy to study law, military and finance. Back in the Philippines, the Ronin recruit and train soldiers during "Bushido lessons".

June 9 1890. Several petitions are made to the local head of police, along with the mayor of Pusan; there also are riots in front of the construction site, although they are forced away by Yakuza members wielding swords and other handheld weapons. On this day, during one of the more major demonstrations, a Korean is severely injured.

attachment.php

One group of the protestors.Note the fact that they are all from the middle class.​

June 16 1890. Emperor Meiji begins the first session of the Imperial Diet(Teikoku Gikai). Although the Diet was granted a certain amount of political powers, the elected representatives are mostly conservatives who want nothing to do with either freedom or democracy. The two main political parties are based on loyalty to either the Mitsui or Mitsubishi zaibatsu, both power-hungry oligarchs who wish to see an expansion of Japanese power in East Asia.

June 23 1890. The first legislation is passed by the Japanese Imperial Diet. The Peace Preservation Law, passed with almost 90% for, restricts press freedom, public speeches, political meetings, and workers going on strikes. The Japanese police is also greatly expanded.

July 1 1890. Heligoland–Zanzibar Treaty is signed by Great Britain and Germany.

July 2 1890. The Convention Relative to the Slave Trade and Importation into Africa of Firearms, Ammunition, and Spiritous Liquors is signed and enacted by the following countries: the United Kingdom, France, the German Empire, the Kingdom of Portugal, the Congo Free State, the Kingdom of Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, the Russian Empire, Austria-Hungary, Sweden-Norway, Denmark, the United States, the Ottoman Empire, Zanzibar, and Persia. In an effort to limit slave trade in the Congo Basin, the Convention was designed to do, in its own words, to "put an end to Negro Slave Trade by land as well as by sea, and to improve the moral and material conditions of existence of the native races".

Last edited:
Just want to say that I really enjoy your TL. I don't know much about Korean history, so this is interesting.

Just want to say that I really enjoy your TL. I don't know much about Korean history, so this is interesting.

Well, happy to do you service. It's also charming that this is the first post you made on this forum.

July 3 1890. The Heinrich Constantin Edward Meyer & Company, now controlling more than 80% of shipping between Korea and Europe, along with controlling 30% of shipping between Korea and Japan, is asked to "observe" the fact that Korea is within Japan's sphere of influence. The Company politely communicates with the German embassy in Seoul of the situation.

July 15 1890. As the first sovereign nation after Korea to do so, the Self-governing Colony of New Zealand enacts a law that allows women to vote. In mere coincidence, this leads to two more "states" declaring female suffrage: the Self-governing Colony of South Australia and the Grand Duchy of Finland.

t50pqzgl.jpg

It's like Domino theory but a lot better.

July 26 1890. In Buenos Aires, the Revolution of the Park takes place, forcing President Juárez Celman's resignation.

July 29 1890. The German embassy in Seoul reports back to the Heinrich Constantin Edward Meyer & Company, after relaying the message back to Berlin, that the order was to "continue its glorious mission in the Far East for the new Kaiser".

August 3 1890. A Christian school run by American pastors holds the first inter-school tournament between Korean students, with previous games primarily being played by the missionaries themselves.

August 18 1890. A form of administration is officially made for the Katipunan. The Katipunan is now governed by the Supreme Council (Kataastaasang Sanggunian); the first Supreme Council of the Katipunan was also formed this day. The Supreme Council was headed by an elected president (Pangulo), followed by the secretary/secretaries (Kalihim); the treasurer (Tagaingat-yaman) and the fiscal (Tagausig). The Supreme Council also had its councilors (Kasanguni); the number were to change through the presidencies. To distinguish from presidents of lower sanggunian or councils (below), the president of the Supreme Council was called the Supreme President (Kataastaasang Pangulo). The first Supreme President was Deodato Arellano; the Comptroller, Andrés Bonifacio.

August 19 1890. The Republican Military Academy of the Republic of Korea adopts fencing, wrestling and archery as new physical exercises for training cadets, along with continuing original sports such as Association Football and baseball.

August 20 1890. Treaty of London: Portugal and the United Kingdom define the borders of the Portuguese colonies of Mozambique and Angola.

August 21 1890. Emmeline Pankhurst, disappointed at the lack of change the "Election Incident" in Korea had brought, along with the non-effectiveness of "non-militant" calls for reform, establishes the Women's Social and Political Union along with several other social reformers in Manchester. The WSPU will bring massive publicity towards the issue of female suffrage for the next several decades, although with often condemnable methods.

September 4 1890. The Imperial Rescript on Education is signed by Emperor Meiji and issued to all public schools across Japan. Like the Imperial Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors but much more in degree, the 515-letter document stresses the mythical origins of the Imperial House of Japan, along with the obligation each student has to the Emperor in both life and death; much more than Westernisation, total submission to a higher authority(also euphemised as "filial piety") becomes the major slogan for the new, post-10.25 Japan.

bow.jpg

Education, education, education. Total subjugation of the population begins with education.​
September 9 1890. The Geisha house in Pusan, upon finishing construction, attract many Japanese(and sometimes Korean) customers. Petitions, often originating from outside the city, grow in numbers.

September 10 1890. Several Korean women's associations are established, mainly amongst wives of wealthy families and Reform Party members. Prominent amongst them are the Seoul Wives' Association, Pyongyang Women's' Christian Association, and the Christian Women's Association of Korea - the last of which is established this day.

September 12 1890. The police department of Pusan, in response to the growing number of petitions, forcibly shuts down the Geisha house after a healthy reimbursement. When the owner of the building refuses to leave, the officers manhandles him out. With elements of the Republican Guard standing in to mediate, the geishas, prostitutes and the Japanese owner are forced out of the neighbourhood.

HjHrzobl.jpg

A 1904 journal from Italy reinvestigating the "Geisha Incident" in Korea.​

Last edited:
I can't see the 1904 picture. Otherwises, nice update. Korea is slowly becoming relevant on the world stage as a modern country. Korea relevant adn stronk!

September 13 1890. As "payback" to the "dishonour" that was done to the Japanese owner, a gang of young peddlers and members of the Yakuza, led by the owner of the building, conduct a series of attacks on the neighbourhood. Stylising themselves after the "Forty-seven Ronin", the reportedly inebriated Japanese enter several houses and kill its members, while committing arson on others - in particular, they mutilate the bodies of the family of the police chief. 27 are killed during the incident, while many more are injured in the attack.

04usJrl.jpg

Dulce et decorum est pro...ce?

September 14 1890. The Japanese press heralds the "tale of the modern-day 47 Ronin" and praises the "bushido" shown in Japan. With extraterritoriality laws holding for Japanese citizens in Korea, the Japanese perpetrators give themselves in to Japanese authorities for a court trial in Fukuoka with heads held high. Petition rates in Korea skyrocket, denouncing the Japanese and calling for a "fair trial" in Korea. The news also becomes reported in the Western press.

September 20 1890. In reaction to the Japanese roaming the Korean countryside and terrorising the people, various "defence associations"(보안계) are established to keep towns clear from Japanese, with force if necessary. The day is recorded as the first conflict between such an association with a Japanese peddler.

October 3 1890. The second group of exchange students leave for University College, London.

October 4 1890. In a monkey trial that lasts less than a week, the perpetrators of the Massacre are each sentences of a year, while the leader is given 18 months. Many Koreans, upon hearing of the news, launch a large protest in front of the Japanese embassy in the form of a mock funeral.

October 6 1890. For the 1891 Session of the International Council of Women, Susan B. Anthony invites Korea to send a delegation to Washington D.C., to speak of the issue of the treatment of women in the Republic of Korea and policies that can be implemented to assist in leading to better sex equality.

October 9 1890. The first brief flight of Clément Ader's steam-powered fixed-wing aircraft Ader Éole takes place in Satory, France. It flies uncontrolled approximately 50 m (160 ft) at a height of 20 cm, the first take-off of a powered airplane solely under its own power.

October 10 1890. The British South Africa Company along with Whitehall, anticipating growth of anti-British sentiments amongst the Boers and hoping to balance them out, begin to "import" Chinese immigrants, primarily from the provinces of Chihli (Zhili), Shantung (Shandong) and Honan (Henan).

October 22 1890. Western newspapers begin to strongly criticise the "47 Ronin Massacre" and call for the Japanese to give a "fair trial" for the Koreans. The Seattle Post, in particular, calls upon the incident this day to call it "the bloody face of Imperialist barbarism".

October 22 1890. A pair of Australian pastors introduce "British" sports such as Rugby and Cricket. Within a decade these become widely played sports in southern Korea.

TTmmZHPl.jpg

wrong sport and wrong era but bloody hell, you get the idea.​

October 27 1890. The Japanese respond that the trial being held in Japan is legal and fair, as the Republic of Korea has signed a treaty of extraterritoriality with the Empire of Japan in 1975. On the same date Min Yeong-ik gives the same reply to the press, simply stating that he hopes the Japanese to conduct a "fair, just trial"; he also announces to put prostitution and gambling on a tighter leash.

November 12 1890. With anti-governmental sentiment exploding in the countryside, the Korean government "announces" a major "reform" policy: to install an intelligence office that could 1) infiltrate various towns and encourage Republican, pro-government sentiment, 2) keeping track of the specific locations of the Japanese within Korea, and discourage any action they may take against the people, along with 3) gaining intelligence from both the conservative Koreans and the Japanese. For its implementation the "Republican Press & Co." is established.

November 19 1890. With support from several major entrepreneurs such as Seo Sang-ryun, the Korea Republican Theatre is opened in the southeast corner of Seoul, directly opposite of the front gates of the Republican Central University, which is in the northeast. The first scheduled show is a Korean Vaudeville show, with a mixture between kisaeng shows, band music and plays.

IdCXIvcl.jpg

"Sir, you sure we're allowed to show this?" "Oh bloody hell, the audience wants it!"​
December 24 1890. The perpetrators of the "47 Ronin Massacre" are sent to trial again, with sentences of 10 years each and the leader 15 years. Many will be released much earlier as "model prisoners" however.

December 29 1890. Wounded Knee Massacre: At Wounded Knee, South Dakota, a Native American camp, the U.S. 7th Cavalry Regiment tries to disperse the non-violent "Ghost-Dance" which was promised to usher in a new era of power and freedom to Native Americans but was feared as a potential rallying tool for violent rebellion by some in the U.S. government. Shooting begins, and 153 Lakota Sioux and 25 troops are killed; about 150 flee the scene. This was the last tribe to be defeated and confined to a reservation as well as the beginning of the decline of both the American Indian Wars and the American frontier.

This is a HUGE divergence from OTL and I love it! I can clearly appreciate the fact that you worked extremely hard on this, demonstrating amazing creativity!! This is perhaps the only pre-1900s Shining Korea thread with such a modern and pwoerful Korea!!

I'd love to see the Imperial Japanese government try to bully the Republic of Korea government now :D.

Zagan

Donor
Interesting and nice to read.
Unfortunately, my knowledge about East Asian History before 1900 is very scarce. I can not be really of help here (except a very little bit about Romania), but I will continue reading.

I am somehow intrigued that the butterflies in Korea did not influence Jack the Ripper in England yet, for example. Is the Butterfly Effect so slow in 18xx? I will do some statistical calculations.

Interesting and nice to read.
Unfortunately, my knowledge about East Asian History before 1900 is very scarce. I can not be really of help here (except a very little bit about Romania), but I will continue reading.

I am somehow intrigued that the butterflies in Korea did not influence Jack the Ripper in England yet, for example. Is the Butterfly Effect so slow in 18xx? I will do some statistical calculations.

Think of this TL more as a template other users could use if they plan to have small countries become stronger with a 1800s POD in the most plausible manner. Or at least I'd like to think it that way.

I've only considered butterflies on macro levels, because it was easier to think things that way - although I believe there were some outliers to that thesis.

Zagan

Donor
Think of this TL more as a template other users could use if they plan to have small countries become stronger with a 1800s POD in the most plausible manner. Or at least I'd like to think it that way.

I've only considered butterflies on macro levels, because it was easier to think things that way - although I believe there were some outliers to that thesis.

Correct.

Some people are more strict about the butterflies issue and may complain forcefully. I am not one of them and I only wanted to warn you a little. Myself, I like to take the Butterfly Effect more easily.

It is a shame, however, that Japan descends into militarism and ultra-nationalism earlier in this timeline. It would have been nice to have a world where liberty and democracy steadily spreads throughout Asia, and solidarity between East Asian countries enables them to resist Western colonialism.

It is a shame, however, that Japan descends into militarism and ultra-nationalism earlier in this timeline. It would have been nice to have a world where liberty and democracy steadily spreads throughout Asia, and solidarity between East Asian countries enables them to resist Western colonialism.
In good time, that'll certainly come about. :D

Out of interest, why does Korea implement women's suffrage so early? There wasn't really an explanation for that. Did the Reform Party have a bit of a feminist streak?

Out of interest, why does Korea implement women's suffrage so early? There wasn't really an explanation for that. Did the Reform Party have a bit of a feminist streak?

Glad someone's asking the important questions. Please continue to criticise the TL.

For an answer, it was because in the initial election for the president they accidentally also allowed women to vote - the right to vote was for "all adults" and nobody caught the error quickly enough. And after it was found by both the Korean government and the foreign press the president decided to just go through with it.

Glad someone's asking the important questions. Please continue to criticise the TL.

For an answer, it was because in the initial election for the president they accidentally also allowed women to vote - the right to vote was for "all adults" and nobody caught the error quickly enough. And after it was found by both the Korean government and the foreign press the president decided to just go through with it.
I would say that's implausible except that vaguely the same thing led to the Berlin Wall collapsing as quickly as it did. Truth can be as strange as fiction. :D